Confusing electrical Question ??? (1 Viewer)

carlos880207

Free Member
Dec 17, 2018
Funster No
MH
Transit conberverted
Exp
iv just bought a camper. It’s has solar charger and 240v with a leisure batter. It dosnt have a relay charger to charge the battery. I’m going to add one. Do I need anything else to connect to the battery as it
Has solar and 240v?
If that makes sence .
Thanks in advance.

Carl

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You should have;

Solar controller/charger
Split charge relay to charge habitation battery from the alternator
Battery charger from 240v hook up

You could also add additional charging back to the engine battery from the habitation battery.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hello and welcome it would help to know what van you have?
It’s well worth subscribing as you only have five posts as a visitor you’ll get you money back in droves with the halo on here:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
All the charging devices (solar charger, mains charger, alternator) contain diodes which act like non-return valves, so they don't have a problem working together. After adding a split-charge relay, that's all you need.

However there are other things you could add if you want to. A 'Batterymaster' will automatically keep the starter battery charged when the solar charger charges the leisure batteries. That's good if you spend long periods not connected to 240V mains.

A Battery-to-battery charger boosts the alternator charging so that it charges the leisure batteries quicker when the engine is running. That's good if you move sites often, charging the battery while driving. Useful in the winter when the solar panels don't get much sun.

Best advice is, add the split charge relay, then wait and see how you use the camper, and what problems arise if any.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I’m going to add one.
If you want to combine the batteries off any charging source , then something like a relay ive linked to will do the job... worked well in my camper for years, but not as efficient as a battery to battery charger..
Broken Link Removed
Andy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back