Conformation gearbox odd behaviour (1 Viewer)

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
2019 Fiat Ducato 2.3l 150bhp comformatic , 4000 miles

On our way to Scotland rwe had a strange issue with the camper.

Did about 100 miles then stopped for a pee at the motorway services. 20 minutes or so. Started the engine and made our way back to the motorway.

Gearbox seemed to be hanging on to the gears a bit longer but we were moving slowly through the car park.

Got on the slip road and gave it a bit of throttle. Still hanging on to the gears, 1st 2nd 3rd. Then it dropped in to neutral. Tried to switch to manual but it wouldn’t.

Pulled over on the slip road. Still in neutral. No gear selection worked.

Switched engine off. Removed key. Replaced and restarted.

Everything back to normal!

Anyone had this or something similar before?
Thanks

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
You didn't have this button pressed did you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Mine is a 2017 but the engine and gearbox are the same as the OP. There was one isolated incident at 650 miles from new when in Auto mode the upchanges became very slow, and then for no reason it got stuck in 3rd after a roundabout. I finished the rest of the journey home using manual gear change mode and going quite slowly. Next day it was back to normal in Auto mode. The Fiat workshop failed to find any error codes. It was a one-off.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I haven't had mine long enough to say much, have only driven it the 70km home so far, but it did seem to behave a bit oddly after one roundabout where it seemed very reluctant to change up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hada 2014 did 20,000 miles in it, now have a 2017 done 18,000 not had any problems like that. Fingers crossed it's a one off. Had the engine throw a couple of wobblies but just the once.

but it did seem to behave a bit oddly after one roundabout where it seemed very reluctant to change up.
Thats normal.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It shouldn't change into neutral on its own while driving. That's a fault so get it checked while in warranty. :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Hydraulic pressure in the mechanism low? or maybe abit of frothing in the system, check the level for the servo system, in the little header tank.

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
2019 Fiat Ducato 2.3l 150bhp comformatic , 4000 miles

On our way to Scotland rwe had a strange issue with the camper.

Did about 100 miles then stopped for a pee at the motorway services. 20 minutes or so. Started the engine and made our way back to the motorway.

Gearbox seemed to be hanging on to the gears a bit longer but we were moving slowly through the car park.

Got on the slip road and gave it a bit of throttle. Still hanging on to the gears, 1st 2nd 3rd. Then it dropped in to neutral. Tried to switch to manual but it wouldn’t.

Pulled over on the slip road. Still in neutral. No gear selection worked.

Switched engine off. Removed key. Replaced and restarted.

Everything back to normal!

Anyone had this or something similar before?
Thanks
Ours is 2016,11000 miles. It occasionally gets stuck in a particular gear and refuses to change unless I manually do so. It’s never gone into neutral on its own though. To be honest it’s not the best behaved auto gearbox but I wouldn’t be without it. In traffic it’s a God send.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Not on a Comformatic it's a robotised manual box.
What does the manual servo moving, I thought the one I examiined had a small resevoir with hydraulic fluid.. They are not mechaniclally moved the gearbox might but not the servos.?????????????????? OR, is it really as I imagined a gnome under there with a pedal and gearlever?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had a Smart. some years ago, which would do similar. Suggestions from the "Smart" community mostly suggested BAD Earthing (not unlikely, as most canbus type control systems use such tiny currents). Eventualy the gearbox did fail quite spectacularly, wrecking both it and the engine, when under tow. That was down to a FALSE Neutral indication. SWMBO`s new Nissan has also done a similar thing, you stop the vehicle switch off and re-start. Doesn't show up as a "fault" on diagnostics either!. Just puts the "fault" light up on the dash!, which clears on re-start?.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
What does the manual servo moving, I thought the one I examiined had a small resevoir with hydraulic fluid.. They are not mechaniclally moved the gearbox might but not the servos.?????????????????? OR, is it really as I imagined a gnome under there with a pedal and gearlever?

The small reservoir could be for the clutch , I would have imagined the gear servos would be electro magnetic

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back