condensation (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
i took my van out for a weekend trip to 'give it a run' and dry things out. It worked because we left the windows open and heating on during the day, but boil a kettle or two, go to sleep and the windows are soaking wet with condensation again this morning. I use the 'water crystals' when its in storage but are there any other tips please? Do you just accept it will get very condensated on trips in the winter? Surely using it once a month is still better than leaving it months on end?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Where is your condensation?
Usually it is on the windscreen if you overnight. Silver screens really help here.
We still get damp around the lower edges of the side windows in the Hab area but it’s not too bad. Just soak it up with a kitchen roll

Upvote 0
OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
its pretty much every window - i soaked the water off with a dish cloth and kept wringing it out into a bowl. Do you think the silver screen on the front window will significantly reduce it all round?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure what van or how old but you dont have a broken seal or leak "in" anywhere do you, that may be sat out of the way somewhere releasing damp into the air.
Also remember some open vents make all the difference if not too cold, for a slow airflow throughout to carry moisture away.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Surely front screens will only reduce the condensation on the front screens?
Yeah, sorry never read the post fully, it takes a large temperature difference to make condensation on the plastic double glazed windows.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
When boiling a kettle try and crack a rooflight so the steam goes out.
same for wet clothes, showering, cooking, wet ddogs etc.
And whatever you do, DONT actually CRACK the roof light...just open it slightly :LOL:
and I tend to open another window slightly too when cooking etc to help airflow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
i'll get some silver screens either way. Next stupid question..."open vents make all the difference". Where might i find these vents? There is a type of 'grill' on the side of the van but i thought that was something to do with the fridge or boiler?

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
i'll get some silver screens either way. Next stupid question..."open vents make all the difference". Where might i find these vents? There is a type of 'grill' on the side of the van but i thought that was something to do with the fridge or boiler?
Sorry when I said vents, I meant anything to "vent" you may have some actual grill vents but in general I meant roof lights, windows, doors etc. just to vent the air flow.
One slight thing to remember is most vans in the cab have an option to "circulate" the air for the inlet from outside or have it draw air in when using the cab heating, if you make sure these are open to draw air in and not recirculate it, this allows ventilation to the front windows..if set on demist / window position

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You've either got a damp problem (but you'd notice other things) or you've not got enough ventilation. Condensation forms when warm air at a relatively high humidity meets a cold surface so the answer is to either reduce the cold surface (as the external cover does for the windscreen) or reduce the humidity. Unfortunately at this time of year that's quite difficult and still remain comfortably warm. Do you keep the heating on overnight as that will encourage condensation? Check that nobody has blocked or sealed off the original ventilation - as well as being dangerous when operating the gas etc. this will encourage condensation.

Have to say that we've never had a condensation problem, even when parked up in below freezing conditions. However our van seems to remain reasonably warm without leaving the heating on, and warms up quickly when it's time to get up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
yeah...we did have the heating on all night and all windows closed when we cooked / boiled kettle...so i guess its not a great surprise. I still think that its worth taking it out at least once a month through winter just to warm it up now and again

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
When you choose a silver screen make sure you order one that is suitable for Remis front blinds if you have them. These are the sliding screens in the cab.
Some names to look for.....Taylormade, Paragon.There are others and those names will be along soon.
Some also cover the scuttle above the bonnet and that can help when it snows.

Upvote 1
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Almost anything you warm inside the van, including yourselves makes the air a little moist, this is not a problem unless it is much colder outside, then the moist air can no longer be held in the atmosphere and condenses on anything cold, the colder it is outside the more moisture will be produced. An external screen cover should hold some of the internal heat, making the windscreen and side windows just a little bit warmer, preventing most of the condensation forming. If you open a vent or window a little, some of the warm air will escape taking some of the moisture with it and making the van a little cooler and less prone to condensation.
Internal screens do almost nothing. When it is very hot, the heat is inside the van before it reaches the screen. When it is cold, the internal screen does prevent some of the drips landing on your dash.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
marvellous...i guess the next thing is...any recommendations on screens? i have a 2013 ducato van and hobby toskana motorhome. Taylormade and Paragon have got a mention but a link would be most udefull ta

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Condensation comes from water vapour in the air and forms on cold surfaces.
If you keep all surfaces warm, it won't condense. Cooking and breathing are sources of water vapour but not practical to eliminate, and neither is it to keep everything warm all the time.
You need to let the moist air out by opening the top vents, but only a crack.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We’ve only had our van since September, managing only two short breaks away.

During our research before buying, this topic came up on so many occasions we took pro-active action, even before delivery.

We purchased a Minster external screen, with the extra long skirt (overs the front vents) for £135.

No condensation, even though it got pretty chilly outside (obviously had to open a vent or two when cooking or boiling the kettle). Centre piece opens so you can view out the front.

We also have internal Remis blinds, which if you do order from them you will need to state (slightly different door fitting to allow for the blinds).
D530EFC7-C7C6-45D4-9611-7E46289C14EE.jpeg

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm a newbie
We used our new MH for the first time in the winter and the condensation on the front was horrendous. Bought a Paragon Sillverscreen and it totally solved the problem and the cab is much warmer. In my opinion it really is a 'must have'

Upvote 1
Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
An external silver screen will help if you are living in the van at the time especially if it is cold at night. However the water vapour will seek othe cold patches to condense on and just relocate the problem. Our solution is to allow the windscreen to be a nice big dehumidifier plate and scoop off the water in the morning with a Kartcher window cleaner.
When in storage, having a electric hookup, I use a peltier dehumidifier that runs on 12v, and is low energy. I have a Gold-Tec ( Amazon link - - currently unavailable but others are available for around £40) and as the fluid resevoir is not huge I have fitted a drain tube (from a fish tank piping supplier) to a much larger volume plastic bottle that sits below it. This works far better than the crystals I tried and keeps the van feeling reasonably dry. This stays at home when we are travelling.

Upvote 0

Brendaburgess

Free Member
Nov 5, 2017
Funster No
Talking of water in van, does anyone have a Burstner that has a valve on the water tank and just lets the water out if it gets too cold . If so what’s best to do when going travelling through France in winter, should we tie it shut as will need water and expect some cold nights until we get into Spain at least

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back