Comparison help: Fiat Tag Axle v. Iveco Twin Wheel (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I'm comparing a 2017 Fiat 3.0 litre Euro 5 with a 2018 Iveco 3.0 litre Euro 6. The Fiat is a FWD three axle tag, has a Comfortmatic semi-auto box and gross weight 5,400 kg. The Iveco is a RWD two axle with twin rear wheels, is full automatic and gross weight 6,700 kg. The Fiat is 36 cm shorter than the Iveco but both are nearly identical Carthago models.

I've a fair bit of experience with the Fiats but I know next to nothing about Iveco, so I'd be grateful for any information or experiences about how the two compare, for example driveability, manoeuvrability, servicing, fuel consumption, reliability, etc.

Thanks in anticipation.

Stephen

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well for a start the engines are very similar, being from the same source and displacement. Good engine. Without doubt I would go for the twin rear wheel set up for greater traction if nothing else.

A proper autobox beats comfortmatic every day of the week as well. A complete no - brainer in my view, but I have a twin rear wheel drive van anyway, so may be a bit biased

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We changed from a fiat 9m tag 2017 euramobil to a twin rear drive iveco morelo 2020 model.
The morelo is taller by 0.3 metres and more wallowing on the motorways in high winds than the 3m tall fiat.
However I never liked the lack of traction from the front wheel drive fiat.
so on reflection only because of the better traction I would go for a rear wheel drive Iveco.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
I can only comment on twin rwd vs fwd. Loading on drive tyres is a lot less around 40% so expect a proper tyre life (mine done 40k with loads of tread left on) loads of traction, never been towed off a pitch (not even the worst peterbough shows) ride is different because rear springs are a lot closer together, which gives that slight wallowing in cross wind. As I drag a 4poster above the cab, don’t care about fuel consumption. RWD every time.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As Dux says basically same engine/block, the IVECO if its the ZF 8speed will most likely be 205bhp, the rear wheel drive will certainly give better traction on and off road, as for driveability I know somebody who has just jumped from 3 litre tandem axle to IVECO rear wheel drive and his comment was that the Fiat was a better drive with better stability and better handling but then it was a lighter vehicle and lower CofG, there are various suspension options on the IVECO with full air and active damping giving the best experience but quite possibly not on the Carthago.

The IVECO platform is generally very strong and reliable but like everything they are getting more and more electronics and that is often not good but unavoidable, I am not too familiar with what Carthago do with the dashboard and driver controls as far as moving them closer to the front so a bit of research required there but if they do it's a much nicer driving experience that the football pitch dashboard that you get in Fiat A class, there is a potential problem with the drive plate from the torque converter cracking and can be changed at IVECO's cost I believe but if it goes bang and wrecks the gearbox casing that might be a different matter so worth checking if that has been done or is included in the chassis build number.

The IVECO being rear wheel drive has a diff in the back axle, great with a diff lock for muddy fields but not so good if it has an annoying whine/hum like I understand some have.

In conclusion I would have the IVECO every time but give it a good test drive first.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can only comment on twin rwd vs fwd. Loading on drive tyres is a lot less around 40% so expect a proper tyre life (mine done 40k with loads of tread left on) loads of traction, never been towed off a pitch (not even the worst peterbough shows) ride is different because rear springs are a lot closer together, which gives that slight wallowing in cross wind. As I drag a 4poster above the cab, don’t care about fuel consumption. RWD every time.
I think the Carthago will be on rear air as a minimum ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Did you notice much change in fuel consumption? (Assuming you've been able to go anywhere!)
I have not really noticed a difference. The only difference I have noticed is the fiat had a bigger fuel tank so less miles between filling With the iveco.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have not really noticed a difference. The only difference I have noticed is the fiat had a bigger fuel tank so less miles between filling With the iveco.
You should have got the 200 litre :ROFLMAO: might be able to retrofit at Meier or might not be available on 50C chassis.

OP
OP
Cavs
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Many thanks to everyone who's responded and offered advice - I've learned a lot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back