Comparing Off-Grid Touring in Germany, France, and Spain (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi How does Germany compare to France and Spain for of grid touring?. How are UK motorhome tourers received

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Hi How does Germany compare to France and Spain for of grid touring?. How are UK motorhome tourers received
I can’t compare Germany to france because I don’t do france, BUT Germany is excellent for off grid touring via the vast amount of Stellplatz, and I’ve found the Germans nothing but welcoming👍

At least they don’t block off the ports now and again and stop us visiting their country😉😁😁😁

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Dependant upon your definition of off grid.

If you mean aires, which are called Stellplatzes, as off grid then there would be an argument that Germany is easier than France or Spain. You will probably pay for more Stellplatzes in Germany than other countries but nothing more than 12 euros unless you go very North and then expect to pay premium on the Baltic. Other expensive areas are available such as Fussen and Berchtesgarden.

If you mean totally wild, it would depend on how well you hide.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I can't compare to France but in two 6 week holidays touring all over Germany we were never been made to feel more welcome, the facilities on almost all Stellplatzes are well cared for and either free or just a nominal charge. Sometimes other vans do park a little closer than us Brits are used to but we never had any noise problem.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes... always welcome. Always helpful. Always want to practice their English on you. I get by with a term of German lessons at school just a few years back! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
We been travelling through Germany since the 70s we love it made loads of friends there ,the stellplatz system is so easy 6900 stellplatz you don’t have to book ,just turn up park either someone will come for the money or if it’s a wellness centre eg any place starting with Bad you pay at reception we’re going again images weeks enjoy yourself👍

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Never any problems wilding in Germany but you do tend to be charged more often even if it's only a token amount.
If you want to stayover in the popular places like the banks of the Mosel expect to pay 10-15 Euros.
You always have to pay for water but usually only 1 or 2 Euros per 100 ltr.
Germany seems to be busier - but in a nice way with loads to see with loads of cheapish restaurants. The beer, wine and food is first class---------Enjoy :drinks: :drinks:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It’s just grim I tell you, €10 a night and we still, sorry I still have to do the washing up, other than that can’t fault it.

IMG_2506.jpeg

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
It’s just grim I tell you, €10 a night and we still, sorry I still have to do the washing up, other than that can’t fault it.

View attachment 893251
If you take Jen out for a meal you wouldn’t have to wash up 😀

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
There’s over 160 Top Platz voted by the German motorhomes in promobil magazine you can pick up Neue Topplatze book at many of the stellplatz top sites (eg minheim on the Mosel)👍

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Try some of the weingut (winery) Stellplatz . Ours was free but then we did buy a box . Other than than not felt any animosity from the Germans , nice bunch really

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes Germany is good you can also overnight in car parks providing they don't have a cars only sign.
A lot of the villages and towns involves a fair bit of driving between them compared to France where you can just amble a few kilometers to the next village.

The only bad thing about Germany is if you like eating out the food is diabolical.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Love France its the place we have been to most and first - went in Lockdown to Germany as desperate to get away and there was a window so we hot wheeled[for us ] over to Germany- loved it.
Was odd for us as we dont speak more than 3 words of German but were made very welcome. Only thing we found a slight issue was that all the Stellaplatz places we parked needed COINS to pay and we were constantly scraping round for change. It was a nudge from Suarvecarve that prompted us to go , his threads were very informative xxx

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Love France its the place we have been to most and first - went in Lockdown to Germany as desperate to get away and there was a window so we hot wheeled[for us ] over to Germany- loved it.
Was odd for us as we dont speak more than 3 words of German but were made very welcome. Only thing we found a slight issue was that all the Stellaplatz places we parked needed COINS to pay and we were constantly scraping round for change. It was a nudge from Suarvecarve that prompted us to go , his threads were very informative xxx
And here is said thread.

It is in Covid times so there is an amount of chat about infection rates etc as you could go to Germany and travel back without having to quarantine if you went via tunnel and didnt get out of the van in Belgium or France, but there were a fair few of us went so go to page 10 as a starting point and ignore the covid chat

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Most of the Stellplatz we use you can pay via the Parkster app, it’s very good and easy to use👍

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.

View attachment 893251
Jeeez you don’t have a dishwasher on board? I would quickly rectify that lol😇😎

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Jeeez you don’t have a dishwasher on board? I would quickly rectify that lol😇😎
I'm sure Jen would agree it's worth getting a new van with a dishwasher if only to stop you complaining on here :LOL::LOL:.
Didn't you see any you liked at Morelo HQ?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We find in Germany you generally have to pay for everything, stellplatz, services etc whereas I France there are a lot more free ones. Yes you do need lots of coins but everything is generally higher quality (but you're paying). Most places have hook up and generally have to pay a euro or two per kw or for a certain time.

Germans very friendly and many speak English and their outlook and lifestyleis very similar to ours. as Lenny HB said food is not highest quality or choice (lots of snitzels) but great beer and some good wine.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
You’ll find they still like cash and many normal shops not supermarkets won’t take cards but you soon get used to it.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We found Germany really friendly and welcoming last Autumn. Easy in a motorhome/ campervan too. No harder than France. Lots of cheap stellplatz, and easy to find park-ups too.

Top picture is right in the centre of Konstance against the river. Second is in Oberjoch in the Alps; and third is in the Black Forest. Just a selection - we stayed off grid all across Germany, both urban and rural.

PXL_20230821_063636142.jpg

PXL_20230823_134204040.jpg

PXL_20230816_165003271.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We find in Germany you generally have to pay for everything, stellplatz, services etc whereas I France there are a lot more free ones. Yes you do need lots of coins but everything is generally higher quality (but you're paying). Most places have hook up and generally have to pay a euro or two per kw or for a certain time.

Germans very friendly and many speak English and their outlook and lifestyleis very similar to ours. as Lenny HB said food is not highest quality or choice (lots of snitzels) but great beer and some good wine.
We spent 6 weeks in Germany last October used quite a few free Stellaplatz and the paying ones most took cards only a few needed cash.
Even when paying for water most of the time you can pay for what you need by the coins you put in so can top up with 10, 20, 30 50 or 100Lt so easy to keep a full tank.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back