Compact Motorhome or Van Convesion? (1 Viewer)

JohnandCass

Free Member
Aug 10, 2021
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi,
After a few years of touring the UK and France with a caravan we're going to change to either a motorhome/van conversion in the next 12 months. We want greater freedom to tour/wild camp where possible and hence are looking at the sub 6m options that are open to us. We have been drawn to van conversions, thinking they're easier to get about in, however are now also considering coach built as the space gains inside the van seem to be worth it. We'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this topic, particularly those who have moved from caravan to motorhome/van - how did it suit you?

We'd like to have as much freedom as possible, which will need to include the ability to drive on single track roads comfortably and generally be able to get to places we can't towing our caravan. Given the extra space, are there practical disadvantages with a compact motorhome, over a 5.99/6.36m van conversion?

We'd also be interested in specific brands/models that we should be looking at. So far we think the following are interesting:

Autotrail - F62, V-line Sport 635
Elddis - Accordo 105, Avantgarde 115
Autosleepers - Warwick XL, Nuevo ES
Roller Team - Toleno L, T-line 590

Are we on the right track? Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks John & Cassie

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just a thought - can you live with the sliding door? Personally I couldn't, and I hate being parked next to one. Weeee Bang!
... and ...
Our concern is whether we can live without it. When the weather is hot, it's great having the wide open door
I certainly couldn't live without it. It's the main reason I would NEVER go back to a coachbuilt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
John McBain
Exp
T-line 590 newbie
Hi,
After a few years of touring the UK and France with a caravan we're going to change to either a motorhome/van conversion in the next 12 months. We want greater freedom to tour/wild camp where possible and hence are looking at the sub 6m options that are open to us. We have been drawn to van conversions, thinking they're easier to get about in, however are now also considering coach built as the space gains inside the van seem to be worth it. We'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this topic, particularly those who have moved from caravan to motorhome/van - how did it suit you?

We'd like to have as much freedom as possible, which will need to include the ability to drive on single track roads comfortably and generally be able to get to places we can't towing our caravan. Given the extra space, are there practical disadvantages with a compact motorhome, over a 5.99/6.36m van conversion?

We'd also be interested in specific brands/models that we should be looking at. So far we think the following are interesting:

Thanks John & Cassie
Hi,
I've owned a T-line 590 since 2017 and would highly recommend it! 5.99 long and more living space than most vans 1.5 metres longer! Payload good but limited space in garage but I haven't been stuck for space even on extended journeys both here and abroad. No stranger to single track roads either. Great wee van!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JohnandCass

JohnandCass

Free Member
Aug 10, 2021
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
We've got the Elddis Accordo 105, bought it from new 7 years ago. Good van and the interior quality and layout is spot on. What lets it down is the chimpanzees that build them. We've had missing sealant underneath round the wheel arches and waste pipe fittings upside down so far. But overall we'd buy again, at £10k cheaper than the similar autotrail it's a no brainer 👍
Hi Richard n Ann, thanks for your views (and everyone elses!). We like the layout of the Accordo 105, which is also similar to the Autotrail F62, but as you say £10k cheaper. The 105/F62 are a similar layout to the front of our caravan, which has a fixed rear bed/bathroom which we're not bothered about. Sorry to hear about the build issues you've had, hope all is covered by warranty. Our reason for posting is to gain views on the advantages of PVC over compact MH and vice versa. I'm 6'4" tall and find PVC's a little cramped!! However we don't want to compromise on where we can travel, width issues etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JohnandCass

JohnandCass

Free Member
Aug 10, 2021
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi,
I've owned a T-line 590 since 2017 and would highly recommend it! 5.99 long and more living space than most vans 1.5 metres longer! Payload good but limited space in garage but I haven't been stuck for space even on extended journeys both here and abroad. No stranger to single track roads either. Great wee van!
Thanks Wee McB,
We've shortlisted the T-line 590 but not had chance to see one yet. How does the drop-down bed work for you - I'm 6'4", would I fit ok!? Also, how is it for storage, only viewed online but can't see any cupboards above the lounge, which I assume is to do with the bed? We understand that's we'll need to compromise on storage after a caravan, however the T-line 590 seems a bit lacking in this area, garage aside?

Upvote 1
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I'm 6'4" tall and find PVC's a little cramped!!
At 6'4" you will struggle to find a PVC with sufficient head room and long enough beds.
I am 6'2" and like the idea of a PVC, but in reality I haven't been able to find one that suits.
Most have an internal height of 1900mm which is 6'3" but frames around rooflights etc. reduce this further.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
At 6'4" you will struggle to find a PVC with sufficient head room and long enough beds.
I am 6'2" and like the idea of a PVC, but in reality I haven't been able to find one that suits.
Most have an internal height of 1900mm which is 6'3" but frames around rooflights etc. reduce this further.
Just been to measure mine (PVC) out of curiosity. At the lowest point the internal height is 80".

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Just a thought - can you live with the sliding door? Personally I couldn't, and I hate being parked next to one. Weeee Bang!
Hi
In that case look
In that case, go for an IH which give you a choice sliding or normal motorhome door which we have.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We have a 6.4 slim A class Carthago and we love it. You get so much more space in an A Class and a coach built, than you do in a van conversion.

It pains me to say it but I wouldn't buy British.
We also have a 6.4m Carthago (C-Tourer). It's really great.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Hi,

Thanks John & Cassie
E have recently changed from a Warwick XL to a Roller Team Toleno S which are quite similar in layout but the Toleno S has a smaller bathroom shower is ok for occasional use Warwick XL is 6.36 m Toleno is 5.99 we changed for an auto and are very happy with the Toleno S.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
There’s a trick to closing a sliding door as quietly as a normal front cab door, or any other car door (although maybe not as quietly as the hab door on a coach-built - although some people do seem to slam those!). At least, it works on ours - I don’t have to slam it. :)

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
There’s a trick to closing a sliding door as quietly as a normal front cab door, or any other car door (although maybe not as quietly as the hab door on a coach-built - although some people do seem to slam those!). At least, it works on ours - I don’t have to slam it. :)
Yup, easy to do.

Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
John McBain
Exp
T-line 590 newbie
Thanks Wee McB,
We've shortlisted the T-line 590 but not had chance to see one yet. How does the drop-down bed work for you - I'm 6'4", would I fit ok!? Also, how is it for storage, only viewed online but can't see any cupboards above the lounge, which I assume is to do with the bed? We understand that's we'll need to compromise on storage after a caravan, however the T-line 590 seems a bit lacking in this area, garage aside?
Hi John and Cass, just measured height available under main lounge area below drop down bed and it measures around 6'3" so you'd struggle height wise in this area. I've freed up gas cupboard by installing an lpg tank along rear axle. This provides an extra bit of external storage for chocks, water hose and plug in cable etc. There's a large wrap around shelf above front cab area for storage as well as a small drawer in main lounge. Toilet area may also be a bit tight for you but best to have a look at one if you can. Still wouldn't rule it out though! See interior picky attached. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSCN0170.JPG
    DSCN0170.JPG
    439.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN0169_1.JPG
    DSCN0169_1.JPG
    580 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 1
Dec 30, 2019
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2020
My husband is tall and we find our our Globecar Campscout PVC fine for his height. Huge bed with loads of storage underneath. We wouldn’t consider a wider motorhome due to the narrow lanes in our vicinity. Also love our sliding door that opens the van to the outside.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
One CV that is little mentioned amongst all the big makes is the East Neuk Fifer Touring L. Rare as hen's teeth on the used market. This will give you a flavour though check their website for the latest prices and specs.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
In proper PVC‘s the “swish bang” isn’t to bad because they aren’t doing it every five minutes, It’s the home converted vans that have 2 adults 4 kids, and 2 massive dogs in, and only a bucket for toilet. Then the sliding door is open and slammed shut every 17 seconds. Toilet visits, dog in, dog out, for a smoke, kid in, kid out, and on and on

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JohnandCass

JohnandCass

Free Member
Aug 10, 2021
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi,

Thanks John & Cassie
Thanks to all of you and your very helpful comments. I think we're going to go for a PVC, as this will meet our needs best.
With this in mind, your comments on the following would be appreciated:
Elddis CV20
Autotrail 610 or 635
Devon Aztec
Swift 122
Autosleeper Warwick
Cheers
John & Cass

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Hi John and Cass. You are planning to do the same as we have done. We moved from a caravan last year to an Autotrail Dakota. A big C class van with everything we thought we wanted, fixed bed, plenty of room, decent sized shower. We really enjoyed it, however our circumstances have changed and have made us review what we want in a van. I went down with Guillane Barre Syndrome, which is where your immune system attacks your nervous system following a mild infection such as stomach upset or a cold. Resulting in loss of use of my legs and hands. I will make a full recovery, but it will take a number of months.
This made us realise we needed something both of us could drive, Mrs Norfolk was not happy with the size and rear overhang of the Dakota, however we wanted a fixed bed, end shower of decent size, comfy living area and space of the C class. We had looked at PVC’s previously and not seen anything that would give us all this, until fate forced us to look again. Like you we wanted something we could also take to more remote places on smaller roads.
We came across the Autosleeper Kingham as a result of an email from out and about live, watched the reviews, then saw one on site and had a chat with the owners who loved it. It ticks all the boxes for us, fixed french bed, end shower, decent comfy sofa, well proportioned kitchen and all the kit. At 6.36m it’s a good size, but still able to go most places. We bought one with an auto gearbox, it arrives at the beginning of September
Worth taking a look at if you want a crossover between coach built and PVC.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think your height could be the main issue as most PVCs don't have beds long enough so you could end up with your feet hanging off the end/side or be 'folded' up a bit! You could look at the Globecar Campscout Revolution which has a massive bed in the rear so you could sleep slightly obliquely to get the extra length you need, in addition due to it being on the tallest PVC you won't have any issues at all with height when moving around inside especially in the shower/washroom area. They usually come with 2 large beds in the rear, one above the other, the top one can be raised up and the bottom one removed to allow you more underbed storage ideal for bikes etc or left in situ with the upper one lowered down onto it - some second hand ones don't come with the upper bed although this is pretty rare. jezport has one and loves it.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Thanks to all of you and your very helpful comments. I think we're going to go for a PVC, as this will meet our needs best.
With this in mind, your comments on the following would be appreciated:
Elddis CV20
Autotrail 610 or 635
Devon Aztec
Swift 122
Autosleeper Warwick
Cheers
John & Cass
You might want a look at the Warwick XL and the Murvi range of course!

Upvote 0

byronkemp

Free Member
Sep 3, 2021
Tyne and Wear, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Hello all . We are on our fifth motorhome and purchased the current Autocruise Accent in spring this year from MHG in Dorset . Five months on we find its better than we expected.... delighted . Fits on our narrow drive . Open the back windows and load it up from the garage . Best part about it is the two front travellng seats turn into a decent sized bed or as we do a "stretch out mini lounge" with the two front seats turned. We can always leave the bed made up ( can be two settee ) at the back and its a decent 6ft x 4.6in and confortable . Loads of storage . Very impressed with the build quality even tough its 10 years old . Still in great nick and everything works well .

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Earlier Dethleffs GlobeBus are the same width as PVC. Great build quality. In 2016 they inexplicably widened the range.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Your top priority seems like ours therefore go for a pvc. You do not have to think about driving or parking. I can recommend an IH 6m VW Crafter we have one with no regrets, however, we are not large in size.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
That’s why we chose a IH pvc they can fit a normal motorhome door and do away with those large rear doors and include a boot, they ar unique.

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks Wee McB,
Like you, I'm fairly tall at 6'3". When we were initially looking around we were heavily leaning towards a PVC, however I felt incredibly cramped inside all of them. Little things like not being able to stand up straight inside the shower, coupled with larger things like being impossible to sleep in a transverse bed due to the limited bed length began to erode my enthusiasm, We managed to find a dealer who had both a PVC and an Adria compact in stock, sitting right next to each other in fact! The difference in interior space was night and day (to me at least and certainly not disparaging any PVC or their owners).
We eventually ended up going for a coachbuilt, which we subsequently replaced with a new, larger coachbuilt fairly quickly (not due to layout particularly, but due to incredibly fortunate financial circumstances). Even though our new van is just under 7m (6.99 to be exact!) we've never really felt that we "can't go" somewhere. If you think about it - even the most rural areas will have bus stops and an occasional shop that receives deliveries. If a rubbish cart or delivery truck can get there, then so can you!
I know you are an experienced caravanner, and so probably don't need to say this - but I will anyway! Don't get caught up in the marketing! Get inside the van, shut all the doors and pretend it's peeing down outside. Can you both move comfortably around the van? Do you have somewhere to lounge around? Can you actually use the toilet/shower with the door shut? Are the rear seats comfortable enough to actually use for any length of time?
Measure twice, cut once!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back