Comformatic 'Low hydraulic pressure fault" (1 Viewer)

Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Hi I didn't want this to be my first post sorry!
I've just received a call from the fiat professional dealer North East truck and Van York, informing me that my fiat ducato 3ltr requires the works! After a diagnostic check today they have found a low hydraulic pressure fault. The symptoms were struggling to select a gear at start up, also it jumped into neutral twice during driving. The red gear box warning light illuminated but has since not returned. However it then drove perfectly in manual mode once it found it's gears. They are recommending a New selespeed hydraulic pack, replacement clutch as currently the clutch is at 80% worn, whilst in they recommend change the bearing and flywheel. I've not yet received the full quote but it's looking like upwards of £10,000. The vehicle has covered 58000 miles the fluids in the selespeed and clutch reservoir look very dark and I'm presuming the fluids are original (16 years) I've had the motorhome 8 years and until recently been faultless. A couple of weeks ago we'd noticed the vehicle battery was struggling to a point it broke down, this was put down to a dodgy earth strap chassis to gearbox. Sorry for the long windy post hopefully the experts on here may guild me into accepting what the dealer is recommending. Thanks i

OP
OP
R
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Hi Dunnah01, they have checked the kiss point and apparently this is spot on. If I suggest the fluid change and that didn't work, would I then need to replace the fluids again when they change the selespeed and clutch?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Hi Dunnah01, they have checked the kiss point and apparently this is spot on. If I suggest the fluid change and that didn't work, would I then need to replace the fluids again when they change the selespeed and clutch?
Probably but it’s worth a shot, I find it hard to believe the kiss Point would be spot on after 58000 miles and a 80% worn clutch, also that’s the highest quote I’ve seen for that work🤷‍♂️
Mines done 48k and just had the fluids changed (clean fluids) and the kiss point re learn, it sets off smoother and changes gear a bit smoother now, glad I had it done tbh👍

OP
OP
R
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Hi Dunnah01, do have any ideas of the cost involved in replacing the fluids? I'm sure I'd read somewhere this is about £700. Worth a shot tbh as I'm not totally convinced all the above is required.

OP
OP
R
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Probably but it’s worth a shot, I find it hard to believe the kiss Point would be spot on after 58000 miles and a 80% worn clutch, also that’s the highest quote I’ve seen for that work🤷‍♂️
Mines done 48k and just had the fluids changed (clean fluids) and the kiss point re learn, it sets off smoother and changes gear a bit smoother now, glad I had it done tbh👍
Unfortunately these are the only dealership near me in Leeds so my choices are limited for second opinions. Unless anyone knows of other garages who have the knowledge and equipment to perform the job.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Unfortunately these are the only dealership near me in Leeds so my choices are limited for second opinions. Unless anyone knows of other garages who have the knowledge and equipment to perform the job.
I’m in Doncaster and I went to the dealer that probably knows the most about them and that is Adams Morey in Portsmouth but it’s a bit hard for you being as your van already has the problems.
£147 for clutch fluid and kiss point, but not the comfortmatic atf👍

OP
OP
R
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Adams Moray in Portsmouth charge £147 including VAT. It should be done every two years or so
I'm not sure if AM do the 3lt iveco engine but I may be wrong. Plus I'm best part of 200 miles away.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I'm not sure if AM do the 3lt iveco engine but I may be wrong. Plus I'm best part of 200 miles away.
They are so good that people travel a lot further than that but I don’t know whether they work on Ivecos.

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Hi I didn't want this to be my first post sorry!
I've just received a call from the fiat professional dealer North East truck and Van York, informing me that my fiat ducato 3ltr requires the works! After a diagnostic check today they have found a low hydraulic pressure fault. The symptoms were struggling to select a gear at start up, also it jumped into neutral twice during driving. The red gear box warning light illuminated but has since not returned. However it then drove perfectly in manual mode once it found it's gears. They are recommending a New selespeed hydraulic pack, replacement clutch as currently the clutch is at 80% worn, whilst in they recommend change the bearing and flywheel. I've not yet received the full quote but it's looking like upwards of £10,000. The vehicle has covered 58000 miles the fluids in the selespeed and clutch reservoir look very dark and I'm presuming the fluids are original (16 years) I've had the motorhome 8 years and until recently been faultless. A couple of weeks ago we'd noticed the vehicle battery was struggling to a point it broke down, this was put down to a dodgy earth strap chassis to gearbox. Sorry for the long windy post hopefully the experts on here may guild me into accepting what the dealer is recommending. Thanks i
Hi, if the hydraulic pump is running - ie when the drivers door is opened after standing overnight & the fluid level in the chamber drops during this then the pump wouldn't seem to be at fault.
If the fluid drops and is back to normal after several hours then the diaphragm is ok.
You really need someone with suitable diagnostics to read the fault codes - if there are any? multieuscan will, and as they have determined the kiss point is ok I assume they have something similar.
Definitely get the clutch plate & slave cylinder changed (for a clutch without plastic spring covers - preferably Sachs)
I would say don't trust professional FIAT dealers if they don't know about these problems.... but find an independent.

good luck!!

cheers
Chris

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I'm based near Newcastle and have previously travelled to Adams Morey to have work done. Made a trip of it to justify the mileage. Worth it purely on their knowledge and experience for me.

Having had direct experience of NETV branches at Newcastle, Carlisle and Stockton I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

If you can find an alternative, with good reviews, irrespective of distance bearing in mind the size of potential bill, I would in your position travel.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
You could try contacting Graham Logan of Logan Vehicle Services. Great guy , ex Fiat tech. He is mobile and works around Central Scotland. He knows his way around Comfortmatics. He wouldn't come to you and I'm not sure if he has somewhere you could go to him.

OP
OP
R
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Hi everyone, sorry for the delayed responses to some of your comments, I didn't realise as a free member I only had limited privileges 🤣.
So I got a call Wednesday morning with a quote of £9800 + vat. 🤔😭. However I suggested to them about starting with changing the fluids as Dunnah01 and Westy66 recommended. Reluctantly he said we'll do what the customer wants but won't guarantee anything and it may not cure or I may get down the road and it happens again! He then said they may not get it again for another week or so. So I decided to call Adam Morey for a second opinion who informed me that the damage had already occurred and with the low hydraulic pressure fault the also recommend I change the lot. However they will perform the work for £9000 Inc vat. Result I thought and started to plan a 3 day stay in Portsmouth (if the van got me there🤣!)
I got home and decided to call NET&V t0 cancel my instructions I'd given him earlier. And to my surprise he sorry he can't as funny enough we've just started the process! So I had no choice but to proceed and let them complete the process of changing the fluids. I was told to ring him back Friday morning, which I did for him to say that the technician was just finishing off the paper work and all looked good, full pressure and the clutch had reset and was all working great!👍😀 I turned up for the service manager who was adamant it needed all the above to say ," I think you've got away with it! " everything thing looks good. It still cost me £986. So I have to say many thanks to you guys for your suggestions especially Dunnah01 and Westy66. I've since drove it I must admit it definitely seems better for the fluids change. Thanks again.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Fingers crossed that subscribing to Fun will be the best 20 quid you'll ever spend. (y)

£9,800 +vat seems an extraordinary amount of money for a mechanical repair other than having a new engine.
I guess a lot of labour is involved but purely out of curiosity I'd be interested to know a rough cost breakdown of parts vs labour.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Incredible that you get a quote that would have been nearly 12k from so called professionals.

OP
OP
R
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Fingers crossed that subscribing to Fun will be the best 20 quid you'll ever spend. (y)

£9,800 +vat seems an extraordinary amount of money for a mechanical repair other than having a new engine.
I guess a lot of labour is involved but purely out of curiosity I'd be interested to know a rough cost breakdown of parts vs labour.
I didn't see a paper copy of the estimate however the hydraulic pack alone was over £4k +vat alone. The clutch pack again was £1k + vat. Release bearing £120 then the flywheel and fluids. Adam Morey said approximately 2.5 days. NET&V didn't give me a labour break down. £140ph. =£2400. + vat, that's roughly £10,200.

Indeed the best £20 although luckily Dunnah01 and Westy66 got in their comments whilst I was still on a free member. Tbh I didn't realise it was a subscription otherwise I'd have joined from the beginning. Someone knowledgeable people on here. 😊

OP
OP
R
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Incredible that you get a quote that would have been nearly 12k from so called professionals.
I didn't fancy this dealership from the day I walked in asking for help. They just told me it's gonna be big numbers! Very patronising I thought. As if everyone can just stump £10grand. Unfortunately I had no real choice of an alternative dealer. Turned out ok in the end thankfully.

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Edit: just read the rest of the thread and the bill was nothing like that amount. Good news!

Nov 15, 2023
North London
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP Aut
Exp
Since 2008
Glad it turned out in the end. Lots of information about Comfortmatics on this forum. My van is taking a visit to Adam Morey Portsmouth for a major service including all the fluids for £770 in April.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
I've said goodbye to my Comformatic which honestly didn't give me any problems over 4 years......my new MH has FIAT 9 speed auto 🤞.

Glad OP now sorted...👍

Cheers🍻

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I had a bad experience 18 months ago with NET&V at York and won't trust them again. They got a lot of "cash cow" public authority fleet work and were reluctant to take on warranty work at FIAT rates. They also told me stuff that was plainly untrue.

OP
OP
R
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
I had a bad experience 18 months ago with NET&V at York and won't trust them again. They got a lot of "cash cow" public authority fleet work and were reluctant to take on warranty work at FIAT rates. They also told me stuff that was plainly untrue.
They were shocking from the first day I called in asking for help! All I got was "oh it's going to be big numbers"!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back