MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I am just having another go at copilot and at start up it gives 3 options
1, car
2, truck
3, caravan

I have a motorhome, which one do I select? it’s not either of those!
Does caravan mean motorhome?
If it really means caravan I.e with a car in front, it’s not going to take me on routes round alps on passes where towing is forbidden!
If I select truck (with relevant sizes programmed in) it’s not going to take me down roads where trucks are forbidden and motorhomes are allowed!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When you say "another go" you mean at downloading it I guess.

I would go for Caravan and no it's not really for caravans it's for larger vehicles and you can put your size and weight into the profile and it will route you to suit never used Truck but they are going to stop supporting this option and put everybody onto the Caravan version I think so would dismiss that, CoPilot has come in for some criticism over the last couple of months because you used to be able to set your preferred speed for given road types and it would give you some control over the road bias in the routing and also a more realistic ETA, so that has gone in the latest version but it still remains a good solid navigator in my experience.

Martin

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
When you say "another go" you mean at downloading it I guess.

I would go for Caravan and no it's not really for caravans it's for larger vehicles and you can put your size and weight into the profile and it will route you to suit never used Truck but they are going to stop supporting this option and put everybody onto the Caravan version I think so would dismiss that, CoPilot has come in for some criticism over the last couple of months because you used to be able to set your preferred speed for given road types and it would give you some control over the road bias in the routing and also a more realistic ETA, so that has gone in the latest version but it still remains a good solid navigator in my experience.

Martin
Thanks for that, I have downloaded it and have 10 days or so free, I DID put it on caravan but for some reason it wouldn’t let me put my sizes in (I’ll have another go now) Mrs westy has bought me an iPad so I really want to have a go at an app based nav system before I cave in and buy a dedicated one (I’m really used to the garmin 660 bike nav).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for that, I have downloaded it and have 10 days or so free, I DID put it on caravan but for some reason it wouldn’t let me put my sizes in (I’ll have another go now) Mrs westy has bought me an iPad so I really want to have a go at an app based nav system before I cave in and buy a dedicated one (I’m really used to the garmin 660 bike nav).
just go "setting" "vehicle routing profiles" then pick "new" and then "caravan" if at this point it won't let you put in sizes I would suggest it is a restriction on the trial version.

Martin

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I went caravan with copilot, and entered my sizes.

You can also try for 14 days Sygic, which is also an app based navigation system. I prefer it to copilot myself, and like that is shows the speed cameras even in France (yes I know, no, I don’t care)

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
just go "setting" "vehicle routing profiles" then pick "new" and then "caravan" if at this point it won't let you put in sizes I would suggest it is a restriction on the trial version.

Martin
All good, all sizes in now(y)

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
So.....I thought I’d try co pilot on the iPad en route to Chester,! Guess what? It didn’t work, in fact it moved with us for 300 yds and never moved again!:mad:

So that was a waste of money, and don’t get me started on Sygic, that app is pure black magic, as is OSMAnd maps, all voodoo!

Ended up getting my trusty bike zumo 660 out and never faulted!

Looks like a new Garmin 770 for me and bin the apps:mad:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
So.....I thought I’d try co pilot on the iPad en route to Chester,! Guess what? It didn’t work, in fact it moved with us for 300 yds and never moved again!:mad:

So that was a waste of money, and don’t get me started on Sygic, that app is pure black magic, as is OSMAnd maps, all voodoo!

Ended up getting my trusty bike zumo 660 out and never faulted!

Looks like a new Garmin 770 for me and bin the apps:mad:
I assume your new iPad is a wi-fi plus celllular, ie it has a sim card.
If it's wi-fi only it won't have a GPS chip in it so won't be accurate as a sat nav. That may be why you are not getting good results as a sat-nav.
I use an iPad with Co-Pilot and it works well but I do have the paid for version, originaly the Caravan version, now updated to the newer Co-Pilot GPS.

Richard.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Sure it's not the ipad? Unlike android tablets, not all ipads have GPS.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I assume your new iPad is a wi-fi plus celllular, ie it has a sim card.
If it's wi-fi only it won't have a GPS chip in it so won't be accurate as a sat nav. That may be why you are not getting good results as a sat-nav.
I use an iPad with Co-Pilot and it works well but I do have the paid for version, originaly the Caravan version, now updated to the newer Co-Pilot GPS.

Richard.
Could he run it on iPhone and set up a personal hotspot on his iPad?

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
That could be interesting, I’m due an upgrade, I’ll go big 30gb plus(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back