CMC Magazine Grande Frontier GF-70 Test (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If ever there was a doubt that the CMC were a fit organisation, one only has to read their latest test offering on the above vehicle.

Assuming that over 50% of the membership are tuggers who probably know little of the finer legal points of motorhome ownership, CMC have published a test on a vehicle with a MIRO of 3270kgs and a MTPLM of 3500kgs giving a user payload of er 230kgs. As there is a +- allowance of5% on MIRO (and does anyone have a van that actually weighs less than the stated MIRO) It could be that the MIRO could be less than 80kgs.

There was no mention Anywhere in the test that the above figure did not include passenger or water never mind clothing, cooking equipment or anything else.

Sure it mentioned the 'free' upping of payload to 3650kgs but that only applies at the moment to us dwindling ranks of wrinklies.

This was a caravan essay minimally amended to cover a motorhome.

In my opinion a very poor article.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Unfortunately nothing new, I always remembered this one...

Adria Vision 707 - user payload 220kg

This van won the.....

2006 Which Motorcaravan 'Motorhome of the Year'.

and the

2006 Caravan Club Design & Drive Awards 'Best A Class'.

Pete

Jan 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, read that article this morning and thought they will surely highlight the payload with some sort of warning. Nope !
Unbelievably poor assessment from a supposed professional body.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have just read the article and such irresponsible reporting makes me angry. Mr Harding should be reporting that the vehicle is unlikely to be legal at 3500kg and barely useable at 3650kg. Why not make a constructive suggestion that a 3850kg option is needed. I also wonder about the weight distribution with the heavy kitchen and bathroom fittings all at the rear.

The GRP bodywork is mentioned but nothing said about construction and insulation.

He says the drop down bed is a given in an A-Class motorhome. No it isn’t. Has he not bothered to look at the continental opposition where there is a trend to having an option to omit the drop down bed. It might help if he was a lot more knowledgeable about the market place he is reviewing.

The pro UK constructor bias is doing our home industry no favours. It needs waking up before it follows several car manufacturers and ship builders into the bin by taking their home market place for granted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back