Climate Crisis in Southern Spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That’s a very worrying report we generally visit Donana every year during the winter months and have certainly seen a decrease in the amount of water and also a decrease in the numbers of birds and wildlife using these important wetlands it’s so sad To see it.😢

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We visited Donana in February 2009: it was warm and there was an abundance of lagoons and wildlife. Since then I have read numerous articles about illegal farming practices and the lack of control by the Junta of Andalusia resulting in the scenes depicted here. Very sad!

I’m sure there will be some folks posting to say that this is all natural, not caused by humans, and nothing to worry about. Whilst I will disagree with them I am also a bit hypocritical because I’m going to keep using my MH, keep my oil central heating (complemented by my wood burner), keep my petrol hybrid car etc BUT I am driving fewer miles. Every little helps unless you believe that you have no responsibility.

Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
That’s a very worrying report we generally visit Donana every year during the winter months and have certainly seen a decrease in the amount of water and also a decrease in the numbers of birds and wildlife using these important wetlands it’s so sad To see it.😢
When we were at El Rocio first week in April this year the main lagoon level was low and the guys in the bird observatory commented the same saying it would dry out much earlier than normal

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The elephant in the room is,& always has been,the unrestricted agricultural increases in farming land & therefore the need for additional water . They should ghave been made to be licenced & applied for & strictly controlled. & anyone illegally extracting water jailed.
Where i live,which is a farming area, the ground level , not the water table, the ground level has sunk by over 60cms (2') in the last 20 years all caused by illegal water extraction.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
One of the problems I see is a lot of Spanish farmers have purchased farm's in Morocco as the land was cheaper and the labour is plentiful and cheap less regulated easy to transport to Spain in doing so they have probably sold or sublet to less scrupulous farmers not helping the problems 🤔

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
One of the problems I see is a lot of Spanish farmers have purchased farm's in Morocco as the land was cheaper and the labour is plentiful and cheap less regulated easy to transport to Spain in doing so they have probably sold or sublet to less scrupulous farmers not helping the problems 🤔
& did you know that the eu has for years supplied grants to Morocco ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back