Clicking CBE Boite Relais Securite (1 Viewer)

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Out Boite Relais Securite is rapidly clicking as we drive our Chausson.
There is no clicking when the ignition is off.

It’s not a consistent, but a constantly interrupted chatter if that makes sense.

These relays link the engine to the habitation side of the van so the fridge works when driving.

They also allows , i believe, the lesuire battery to be charged from the alternator , maybe via the engine battery.
There is a symbol of two batteries joined together on the CBE control panel.

When the relay is chattering the green light by this symbol also blinks on and off.

So there is a circuit being made.

Is it a wiring fault on the input side of the relay?

Has anyone any idea what may be causing this ?

Had the same issue ?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Out Boite Relais Securite is rapidly clicking as we drive our Chausson.
There is no clicking when the ignition is off.

It’s not a consistent, but a constantly interrupted chatter if that makes sense.

These relays link the engine to the habitation side of the van so the fridge works when driving.

They also allows , i believe, the lesuire battery to be charged from the alternator , maybe via the engine battery.
There is a symbol of two batteries joined together on the CBE control panel.

When the relay is chattering the green light by this symbol also blinks on and off.

So there is a circuit being made.

Is it a wiring fault on the input side of the relay?

Has anyone any idea what may be causing this ?

Had the same issue ?

which relay ?? I think the cbe system that employs the external relays uses two of them... one is connected to the engine battery.. that one is switched on an simulated engine run signal from terminal FA5 on the ds300 board I think..
the leisure battery relay also closes when the engine is running but I think its switched by sensing a voltage..
its fed from the yellow wire on the 3 pin connector at J11 on the ds300..
if one of the realays is chattering one of those supplies may be suspect I would have thought..or the two relay coil circuits have a common earth which may be more likely the culprit
Andy

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Thanks for the reply. There are two relays , but
i am afraid my knowledge of electronics is very limited, so terminology of terminals such ds 300 boards etc is lost on me.

the relay which i think is clicking by sound and a slight vibration when touching the case is the one that appears to have the positive feeds into it. Two red wire go in at and I think there is a common earth in the other.

So are you wondering that it might be an earth fault somewhere as a place to start ?

(guess might have to take the drivers seat off to see all the connections on the engine battery)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks for the reply. There are two relays , but
i am afraid my knowledge of electronics is very limited, so terminology of terminals such ds 300 boards etc is lost on me.

the relay which i think is clicking by sound and a slight vibration when touching the case is the one that appears to have the positive feeds into it. Two red wire go in at and I think there is a common earth in the other.

So are you wondering that it might be an earth fault somewhere as a place to start ?

(guess might have to take the drivers seat off to see all the connections on the engine battery)

OK.. sorry..the reference to the ds300 board is the cbe unit with the distribution fuses in it.. if the cover is removed from that unit it reveals a circut board with a load of connectors attached....the connectors are labled on the board..and that is where the two relay coil receive their feed from as mentioned above...
The relay coils return path is from the terminals inside the relay boxes.. the small black wires on the spade connection..one will have two wires coming off it the other relay will have a single wire attached..Worth checking that there is good connections and continuity to ground on those..
Other places that could cause a problem with the feed to those relay coils would be the 3amp d+ fuse in the above mentioned distribution board..its the extreme right hand fuse as you look at the board....and on mine anyway there is a green wire on a 4 pin connector that takes the mains battery charger output to the board.. if the connection on that green wire is dodgy it could cause a problem with the engine run signal..
The heavy duty wires that enter and leave those two relays are as follows...
The start battery one has a feed from the start battery and its output goes to the output of the adjacent leisure battery relay..
The leisure battery relay has a feed from the leisure battery and its output...ie the terminal with two wires attached goes to the cbe distribution board..ie the ds300 I keep mentioning..
Hope you find the fault.. I cant imagine those relays surving constant switching for to long before they burn out the contacts..
and the relays themselves are soldered to the little circut board inside the relay boxes..
Andy...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't know if it is relavant to CBE systems but on vans with Schaudt systems there is a D+ control box with realys this distributes the D+ signal taking the load off the alternator D+ output.
If it has one this could be faulty or even the alternator D+ output faulty.

P. S. from the title I was looking forward to a toilet thread. :rofl:

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Thank you Andy.

will have a look inside the distribution box and check the connections. No idea how I check the continuity to ground.

Also replace that 3amp fuse.

If no joy then I’ll find an electrician to sort it.

( begining to think all motorhome owners need a course on elementary electronic checking)

Lenny HB, thank you for thr tip about the alternator side to this .

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
On our old van we had the same problem it turned out be the alternator we had the alternator changed in France and the clicking stopped.

im not say it’s the same fault as yours

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
will have a look inside the distribution box and check the connections. No idea how I check the continuity to ground.

Also replace that 3amp fuse.
Just to make it clear.. if its not the start battery relay but the leisure thats chattering its not likely to be the simulated engine run signal thats at fault..
The return path for the relay coils are in the relay boxes.. the terminals with the black wires attached..
With power off and a multimeter on its resistance scale check between each black wire and a good known ground..like the start battery negative terminal..there should be good continuity ie very low resistance..
My relays are a pita to access..been directly behind the drivers seat by the plinth..I often take the drivers seat out but thats also a pita :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Andy

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Just looking at the spaghetti box , otherwise known as the distribution box’s insides...it’s another world!

luckily my relais are in the storage locker behind the drivers seat.
will check all the connections and see if I am lucky.
then buy a multimeter!

Thanks again for the starting gun for this learning curve!:LOL:

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
So it’s fixed.
I did two things.

1 took the cover off the distribution box and very gently pushed all the connections.

2 took the 3amp fuse ( d+) out that has a picture of 2 batteries under it, turned it over and reinserted.

Turnd on the engine and all chattering had stopped. Just a solid click as the relay closed..

I think it was taking the fuse out that did the trick. Have to keep an eye on it as might be a weakness developing.

Thank you all.

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Thank you kilettyblade for the offer but I have fixed it somehow.

kilgettyblade

Free Member
Jan 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
burstner 747
Exp
no problem i was hoping it would be a huge refit give us something to do for the next 2 weeks

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Anyone tell me the [in layman's terms] what these boxes do - I have 2 fixed to the floor behind the drivers seat, next to the 5th seat - inside this seat is the MPPT solar controller and info panel. I've been trying to find out if the controller charges the starter battery as it doesn't seem yo but there are wires into the controller at the 'Battery 2' terminals.

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
As I understand it the 2 boxes with Boite Relais Secuitie written on them just connect the habitation side of the electrics with the engine side when you switch the engine on.
The effect being that the engine charges the habitation battery. This is shown on our CBE control panel in the van by a green light above a symbol showing two batteries together.

(And presumably allows the engine battery to be charged when the ECU us connected.)

When we had an alarm and solar panel fitted this year, the MPPT only charges the habitation battery . Vanbitz fitted their battery master, so that as the habitation battery becomes full, a trickle charge is sent to the engine battery to keep it topped up.

Now they fitted the battery master to the Boite Relais boxes. So according to the batterymaster fixing instructions they must have been able to link the 2 batteries together by wiring into the boite relais.

Whether your set up powers both batteries? sorry I don’t know.

It apperars from the above in therory it might.as it has access to both battery’s positive wires.

but the MPPT controller might also need to have out puts for 2 batteries, so it can controll which battery gets what charge

Someone with multimeter meter expertise, and MPPT knowledge could probably help move this on.

Good Luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back