Citroen Relay 2014 2.2 130 cooling fans (1 Viewer)

DandB

Free Member
Feb 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi all, hope someone can help with respect to a cooling fan fault on my van. Have had the van for two years. Initially after a service I noticed the coolant was on minimum mark so filled it up mid way between min and max. Had a second service done this year and went on a trip. Later discovered coolant on min again So filled it up mid way. Checked for leaks but couldn’t find any. No oil in water and no water in oil. temperature gauge at normal, no fans running when on a run and no warnings, but slight whiteish smoke on start up and sweet smell which soon dissipated. Suspected head gasket. Sent into main dealer for pressure and combustion tests. Result was No HG fault but water leak at pump. Pump replaced. Also told that high speed fan worked ok but low speed fan faulty. £700 please was the quote. Drove home from dealer and checked coolant, it was on the min mark! Well that’s the history. Can anyone tell me what Controls the cooling fan. Do they both run in high and low speed. Does the AC activate the fans in low speed and does the outside ambient temperature have any interaction with the control of the fans. I intend to check the operation of the control circuit myself before parting with £700 but need to know full operation of the fans first.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You've had the van 2 years but how old is it?

I spent £800 on electronic diagnoses and several unsuccessful 'cures' for a very similar fault at a major garage.....replacing a couple of sensors, fan motor, fan control unit etc.
The water temp sensor was at the bottom of the radiator.
Talking to a mechanic pal who operated from a shed on a pig farm he suggested sludge in the bottom of the rad. He flushed it there and then and lots of muck came out. I've had no trouble since.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A vehicle will find it’s fill level of coolant once it’s been hot. So if the level always goes to min, that wouldn’t worry me. It would only be a concern if it continues to drop below that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DandB

Free Member
Feb 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi all, hope someone can help with respect to a cooling fan fault on my van. Have had the van for two years. Initially after a service I noticed the coolant was on minimum mark so filled it up mid way between min and max. Had a second service done this year and went on a trip. Later discovered coolant on min again So filled it up mid way. Checked for leaks but couldn’t find any. No oil in water and no water in oil. temperature gauge at normal, no fans running when on a run and no warnings, but slight whiteish smoke on start up and sweet smell which soon dissipated. Suspected head gasket. Sent into main dealer for pressure and combustion tests. Result was No HG fault but water leak at pump. Pump replaced. Also told that high speed fan worked ok but low speed fan faulty. £700 please was the quote. Drove home from dealer and checked coolant, it was on the min mark! Well that’s the history. Can anyone tell me what Controls the cooling fan. Do they both run in high and low speed. Does the AC activate the fans in low speed and does the outside ambient temperature have any interaction with the control of the fans. I intend to check the operation of the control circuit myself before parting with £700 but need to know full operation of the fans first.
Hi Spriddler. The van is a Citroen Relay 2014 2.2 130hp with 100000 on the clock but engine is sweet with good economy and power. I have never heard the fans running under any circumstances including when the AC is on. I have often heard fans running on these van when they are parked up and I am walking past them. So I presume that it’s quite a normal operational event.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have never heard the fans running under any circumstances including when the AC is on.

It would seem that the water loss is possibly from the water pump not due to overheating. As you probably know the 'sweet' smell is from the anti-freeze. As per Landy Andy question: If you don't top up the coolant when it's at the 'Low' mark does the level continue to drop?
The AC doesn't involve the engine cooling fan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
When my pug boxer (same engine as your citroen) had a leaking radiator, upon replacement the garage said the coolant will need topping up after the first run

I did about a 30 mile trip, once the engine had cooled the coolant level was on 'min'
I topped it up and 3 years later have not had to touch it

My guess is that the coolant loss was from the water pump
When the pump was replaced the dealer would have replaced the coolant, the drive you did back from the garage would have circulated the coolant fully and will have needed topping up (when cool)

Hopefully it will be OK after that

OP
OP
D

DandB

Free Member
Feb 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
When my pug boxer (same engine as your citroen) had a leaking radiator, upon replacement the garage said the coolant will need topping up after the first run

I did about a 30 mile trip, once the engine had cooled the coolant level was on 'min'
I topped it up and 3 years later have not had to touch it

My guess is that the coolant loss was from the water pump
When the pump was replaced the dealer would have replaced the coolant, the drive you did back from the garage would have circulated the coolant fully and will have needed topping up (when cool)

Hopefully it will be OK after that
Thanks for that Nasher and Spriddler. I will be topping up tomorrow and marking the level. From that point I will keep an eye on it and we will see how it goes. As for the fans I have just managed to get the electrical drawings so I will start working on that aspect to insure that the coolant circuitry is working as it should.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back