Pauly69

Free Member
Jan 15, 2017
Poole, Dorset
Funster No
MH
CI Riveira 171
Exp
Unfortunately have found a lot of Damp in my 2002 CI Riviera 171 motorhome on the nearside. Hidden due to the unit on that side, so noticed once feeling some spongy wallboard.

It looks like the cause is the outside edge roof rails mainly, I can see the screws holding it on have rusted to nothing (Why didn't they use stainless?). Also it appears to be some leak from where the fiamm awning is attached.

Attached is a picture that shows the horror and as you can see the units are off and started to strip it down. With a damp meter I can see damp is isolated to where stripped. The lower wood looks ok and I'm sure will dry out , but my main concern is the partly rotten wood right on the top that the outer skin is screwed too and how to replace.

Initial thoughts are that I will need to cut away the inner ceiling along that edge by about 20cm with a multi tool to have a good look at the edge and work a plan from there, I would then expect I would need to remove the top rail and put some weatherproof tape up as a temporary measure, whilst working out how to replace the wood from the inside.

Before going too mad with it, was seeking some advice from anyone with experience of the construction and best methods to tackle this specific part of the job ?

Found good info on the web for the rest of it, but not much for the roof ceiling part.

Thanks in advice for any tips!!

Paul

Attachments

• Camper Damp.jpg
    Camper Damp.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 140

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do a good search on here, many have repaired worse and documented it. It's not rocket science, just very slow and laborious.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Having been round a MH factory and watched a few youtube video's they all seem to work the same way. Floor goes down first followed by all the base units and cupboards. Then they add the walls which have been built separately and the cupboards hold everything while they get all the screws in. They build them this way as it would be impossible to get the cupboards in afterwards without building them up inside. Last bit to go on is the roof. Preassembled and just lifted into place by overhead crane. From your picture it looks like you may have to take some of the ceiling down to get to it. There are numerous articles on the Internet. I followed one on the Wildcamping forum which was considerably worse than that and also involved a new floor.

OP
OP
P

Pauly69

Free Member
Jan 15, 2017
Poole, Dorset
Funster No
MH
CI Riveira 171
Exp
Thanks Qfour, Surprising how quickly it is drying out with the dehumidifier in there, just a bit nervous to cut into the roof but not much choice.

I will keep searching, but couldn't find much on the process used for the replacement of the wood in the top side section where it's used as the fixing point for the rail that covers where the side and roof section meets. Assume have to take the outer rail off first as it has screws into the wood to hold it on and then bond on new wood from the in side.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Welcome to Fun.

It's difficult to comment on a single picture, but it looks terrible.

I'd have a long hard think before cutting away any wood. There's lots of products on the market to help.

Google wet rot and wood and see what comes up.

Good luck.
IMG_3164.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
A lot is going to depend on how they put it together. If all it has is a thin alloy extrusion round the side then it has to be built like a caravan where they put a thin skin on top at the end.

Might give you an idea of how they put it together ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back