Christmas Markets (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Anyone else going to either Bath or Winchester Christmas markets, we booked a couple of sites about a month ago and even then they were nearly full

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
We have booked on the marina campsite in bath for the Christmas market.
Going for the weekend on the 8th dec never been before so not sure what to expect.
Tried to get on last year but was fully booked so booked back in march.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We'll be at Bath Marina for Bath market 03/12/17 for 3 nights after taking advice that weekends at the market can be a tad hectic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Going for the weekend on the 8th dec never been before so not sure what to expect.
So have we (y)

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We usually go to bath, which is lovely but very busy, the markets great but we only purchase & drink the mulled offerings which are delicious & Moorish.
This year we are going to shrewsbury with funsters which im sure will be very christmassy too. i dont know if theres a market there but it will be a nice change looking forward to it .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I can tell you exactly what you will get on the Saturday - just one big queue. Its absolute madness. It might be better on the Sunday but trust me - avoid Saturday like the plague.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you can arrive early enough to the campsite on the Friday, consider going to the market that evening, As early as possible. It is nicer to sample the mulled wine and so on and the atmosphere I think is better in the evening.
If you go on Sat or Sunday look out for a few festive carols on the Abbey. It's a great space for a break to sit down.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
OMG - we went some years ago from Bath Marina on a weekday, walked across the road to the P&R, jumped on the bus, wandered round the Roman Baths and saw the 'wooden huts' from above - so when we came out, the stalls were only just opening and we had a lovely walk round them.

Went again last year whilst staying at Longleat with family - on a Saturday. Our idea of absolute HELL. You need to (seriously) sharpen your elbows or preferably attach spikes to them if you want to move more than 10 yards in 30 minutes and not get trampled in the process. Couldn't even get near enough to any stall to see what they sold, let alone browse or make a purchase. It was virtually the same with all the shops in town!

We were both losing the will to live ........

I'd only ever try again on another weekday and at that - get into Bath centre at 9am ready to pounce as soon as they start.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Looks like market madness on Friday then and a day in the pub sat watching the footie.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Went again last year whilst staying at Longleat with family - on a Saturday. Our idea of absolute HELL. You need to (seriously) sharpen your elbows or preferably attach spikes to them if you want to move more than 10 yards in 30 minutes and not get trampled in the process. Couldn't even get near enough to any stall to see what they sold, let alone browse or make a purchase. It was virtually the same with all the shops in town!

We were both losing the will to live ........

I'd only ever try again on another weekday and at that - get into Bath centre at 9am ready to pounce as soon as they start.

That's exactly my experience. I absolutely hated it.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well each to his own. We were utterly gobsmacked last year and it was horrid for our 6 yo great grandson who was in constant danger of being trampled to death. I'm 5ft 3 and 10 stone and didn't do much better. Worse - he'd been promised faithfully visits to various toyshops his grandparents had seen in Bath the previous winter - and not ONE of them was still trading.

Felt more sorry for him than myself - and THAT's saying something!

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
My daughter and I have been for the last couple of years and have arranged to go again this year....always mid week,great atmosphere and not too busy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back