Chipping (1 Viewer)

Hussar

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Keep hearing about "chipping" of engines. Supposed to give an increase in performance. Has anyone got any experience on this?
And is it possible or beneficial to do this with an engine fitted to an automatic gearbox?

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Driven a few 'chipped' artics. One was fine, Scania 420 bhp up to 500, the present one, 420 Caterpillar engined Foden, again 420 up to 500 is crap. Unreliable, noisy and loses turbo pressure if it's being worked hard.

Both were very thirsty as well.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Hi above are a few links to where is has been discussed previously. I have had my old van done and it was ace:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
December last year I bought a new Jeep 2.7 cdi automatic, great kit ideal for the work I do, however the fuel consumption was only around 25 mpg.

Talking to the dealers mechanic he informed me they had fitted Brabus tuning boxes to some off the salesmans cars with excellent results.

The other method is to remap the engine, however even if you reinstall the original mapping, apparently this will show up on a dealers computer, which should there be any problems may effect the warranty.

From research I believe that Link Removed is the German company that badge their box for Brabus.

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/ Which I believe is a re-badged DTE and will offer a discount to Fun members.

They supplied me the tuning box and two wiring looms one for the Jeep, the other for the motorhome and a blanking plug. (this was possible due to the Merc based van and the Jeep both using a Bosch system). The beauty of this box is that you can set it up for the particular engine in your vehicle.

To date the jeep now achieves 28mpg but the drive is so much better with reduced turbo lag making for a much smoother ride, I have not tried it on the motorhome yet.

The cost was around £250, I would have to check to be precise, there are £99 ones on Ebay, from extensive research my advice is don't touch one with a barge pole.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
We had our Hymer B584, 2.8 Ducato Remapped by WOW Power and wow! it,s so much nicer to drive and saves a lot of gear changing
Well woth the expense
Happy Daze:RollEyes:
Chrisboyo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back