LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Enforced "bank holiday" tomorrow announced.
Basically the country has run out of cash :eek:.
Presumably everyone will now hoard whatever cash they have, stop spending as much as they can...

So EU is playing hardball, to bring these upstart Greek politicians to heel - will it work? Or will they "damn the consequences" knowing that if the EU allows a Grexit, then the whole experiment could so easily unravel.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It's complicated! If the ECB & IMF bail out Greece, Portugal and Italy will be rubbing their hands and asking for the same consideration, especially if the Greeks default and the european banks turn a blind eye and continue to provide money. (Which would be breaking the law as far as the ECB is concerned).
The Greeks, I.M.O. have brought this upon themselves, they cooked the books so they could join the E.U. and now they have been caught out and are finding it impossible to accept the same controls as many others in the western world have in place, i.e. taxation, retirement age, etc., etc.,
I believe the ECB and IMF now realise the Greek goverment have been stringing them along and have called their bluff and so the goverment have called for a referendum so they escape any liability for the country going down the pan. No wonder the country is on it's knees.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I can`t help thinking that Greece cooking the books is 100% their fault for acceptance into Europe, surely someone would have at least glanced over the figures just to check that Greece were telling the truth.
I know if I put a package together and presented it to the bank for a loan my figures would be scrutinised to check their authenticity.

The blame is firmly at the doors of those that allowed Greece to join Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Perhaps I am being very pessimistic ,BUT BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY!!

Isn't that the thought of the Greek people in taking ALL their money out of their banks? Better safe than sorry. :whistle:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The Greeks, I.M.O. have brought this upon themselves, they cooked the books so they could join the E.U. and now they have been caught out and are finding it impossible to accept the same controls as many others in the western world have in place, i.e. taxation, retirement age, etc., etc.,
I believe the ECB and IMF now realise the Greek goverment have been stringing them along and have called their bluff and so the goverment have called for a referendum so they escape any liability for the country going down the pan. No wonder the country is on it's knees.

If they all just paid some tax it would be a start !

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I can`t help thinking that Greece cooking the books is 100% their fault for acceptance into Europe, surely someone would have at least glanced over the figures just to check that Greece were telling the truth.
I know if I put a package together and presented it to the bank for a loan my figures would be scrutinised to check their authenticity.

I couldnt agree more

Germany had a hand in this empire building and the ones looking for a United States of Europe

When Greece leave the EU and we vote to leave France will follow

I cant see this experiment lasting much longer and we wont have to worry about trading solely with the EU as it wont be trading any longer IMHO

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
If they all just paid some tax it would be a start !

Truth is some of them do pay a lot of tax, in the last 2 years their tax has risen quite a lot, I know this as I have some very close friends that are Greek, trying to run a business which has only the tourist months to provide them with a living.

Most Greeks have more than one job to make ends meet.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Anyone with (Greek) euros I am offering a special jumar rate for today only. As we live in eurozone I am offering €0.61 for any rates over €5000 but this offer must end at 2359 tonight. Exchanging Greek to Spanish only. Once in a lifetime offer for anyone buying who was born before 1912. Special conditions apply.
Given their banks are shut for the next week I think you could have some takers there tomorrow! :)

Commiserations to anyone on holiday there but as problems go on beach side holidays at the moment this is a minor inconvenience.

Last edited:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

Guess who did the due diligence? The same accountants / consultants who told us our banks were solid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back