check your autoclose mechanism (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
it might be worth while checking your sliding door soft close mechanism - i’ve been troubled with the central locking not working properly as a result of the sliding door not making proper contact with the door close contact and giving me a "rear door open error" on the dash - when i had a good look at it, i think the problem has been a result of the auto-close catch becoming unscrewed - and kind of falling apart.

the soft close mechanism comprises 2 metal plates - held together with 2 hex bolt, each with a hollow metal roller - the outermost of the bolts had become completely loose/ disengaged from the rear-most plate - causing the rear plate to drop down from the horizontal position to a vertical orientationallowing the soft close mechanism to flex - as it is only held in shape by one bolt, not 2.

i removed the both bolts - reapplied loctite to the hex bolt threads and screwed them back into the plates together tightly and hey presto - no door more problems closing the rear door and central locking.

the photo is taken is looking at the rear most edge of the sliding door frame on the chassis at the soft door close catch - I had to remove the door stop that prevents the door from completely slide rearmost when open to get proper access (3 screws on the lower door frame runner)
the left most (outer bolt was completely disengaged from the far (rearmost) plate of the soft close mechanism and the rearmost plate was hanging vertically downward.

the electrical door close switch is the black contacts at the bottom of the picture

7B98C3D1-25CB-456F-9BDB-0D1BF882E0E2.jpeg

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not had a problem with ours but will check it as a preventive measure.

Thanks

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
thanks, I will watch out for that. Hopefully it is just a one off, not so good for you though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Will check ours tomorrow. But handy to know if the fault occurs while out and about, thx for sharing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had issues with ours and have found that a 'pad blob' on one of the bits of plastic that pushes against the contact to let the locking mechanism know the door is fully closed works ... it's been adjusted by the dealer but it still plays up occasionally, so another thing to try if the above doesn't work.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Gerry thanks
Cheeked ours all ok but good to be made aware of these things.
I've posted this before somewhere but if you lubricate to two slots where the front of the sliding door locates into the frame the door closes much smoother

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I had a look at the mechanism on our camper the other day and we don't have the 2-bolt type, it's just one single piece bracket so no adjustment on it.

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you Gerry for the warning. Will check my one year old Globescout. I find the rear door needs closing hard otherwise am unable to lock the doors.
Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back