Check list logic for new MH (1 Viewer)

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hi all, we are still trying to work out which MH model(s) to consider. To try and conclude this I have tried to understand the logic (not much success there) of our requirement, see below. I would like members using their far superior experience and knowledge to mine to double check and comment please:
Budget: Up to £50k, but would like it to be closer to £40k.
MH type: Coach built or A class as I dislike the cramped feeling of a PVA.
Manufacturer: Probably not Auto Trail (unfortunately as I like their van designs) following all the negatives on this forum. Although I do really like their bathroom layout with separate shower. So probably a Swift or Bailey
Berths: Although there will be only the two of us 90% of the time, a six berth (see layout below). This gives us the option of separate relatively large beds and still have a sitting area ( whilst leaving the beds made up when on site if we wish).
Layout: 1/2 dinette (with swivelling cab seats to make up the front dinette/seating area). The two cab seats gives us extra comfort when using this dinette section. Rear u shaped lounge, to make up for a bed, but also giving the option for a large lounge area should we wish. Drop down bed over the dinette, completing the sleeping arrangements. The drop down bed here means a more pleasing and aerodynamic design outside over the cab, (I.e.a lo-line) possibly with a roof light.
Bathroom: obviously toilet and basin, but shower that is separate either within the bathroom or completely separate.
Weight and size: As I have a c1 a heavier model is fine. I would like at least a 600kg payload. The length must be no more than 7.8m to fit comfortably on my drive.
Outside: would like storage, not for bikes as I don’t use them, but fold up seats and bbq etc. An awning would be good.
Cab: ideally with sat nav, reversing cameras and air con. The first two I know could be retro-fitted.
Colour: inside and out I don’t care

Although I mention “I” a lot above, of course I mean “we”, or maybe the “I” is actually the wife commenting as I’m secondary in the decision making department.
Anyway all comments (good and bad) would be much appreciated.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi and :welcome4:

Looks like you've done quite a lot of research up to now with some ideas of what you want. I'd suggest that you make up several copies of that list.

Now go out and find as many dealers you can then spend some time looking at as many different vans as you can, comparing them to your list. Don't automatically discard vans that don't fulfill your criteria as I would hazard a guess that once you get out into the real world (sorry, I'm assuming you haven't already of course) your ideas may well change.
Once you've narrowed it down, have a much more intensive look at your "favourites". Sit in them, imagining it's pouring with rain, try the beds, go through cooking a meal, taking a shower, watching TV (if you like that sort of thing), enjoying your hobbies (my other half generally almost fills a locker with her crafting "stuff"!). What extras come with any particular van - but don't over-emphasise those, they can always be added later. The most important thing is to find a layout that suits YOU.

Every Funster will, of course, have their own favourites having built up some experience - it's well known that it can take 3 vans to get closest to your "forever" choice although a first van can be the one - ours is! You are discarding Autotrail because of all the negative comments - but if you really trawl the forum they're no worse than many other makes; we've got a Swift and a few years ago they were the "bad boys". Just remember you only hear about the problems, never about how wonderful they are! We nearly exchanged for an Autotrail, simply because we loved a certain layout; it was just one important item (bed too short) that turned us off it.

Whilst you're chasing around, don't forget your reactions to the dealer - you'll be handing them a substantial wad of cash so it's important you feel confident they'll be happy to sort out any inevitable glitches.

Don't forget Jim's excellent guide about buying a motorhome - it's free to members in the Resources section and covers everything you really need to know.

Once you think you've settled on a particular make/model post back here and ask for opinions. Don't think there has ever been a motorhome made that someone hasn't got experience of!

Good luck in your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hi TerryL, many thanks for your excellent advice. We intend to start visiting dealerships probably in the new year, so your advice ref relationship with a dealer is very welcome as this wasn’t on our criteria list.
I’ll come back to ask members for their opinions once we are closer to a decision.
Many thanks.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
One point to note - the cab seats in a coach built tend to be the normal van seats eg Fiat etc but recovered. Because of this they they are far less comfortable when used as part of the lounge than A class cab seats, which tend to be Aguti or similar (bigger, softer etc). We full timed in a Swift coach built for 3 years, and although we loved the van, we rarely used the cab seats to lounge in, as they were too hard after a while! When people say they are the comfiest in the van, I suspect they are all A class owners!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Ah, didn't realise that. Many thanks for the heads up, I'll add to our list to check them out.
??

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
We researched and took on board opinions on here for a cpl of years before we purchased new 8 weeks ago. We were looking at the new 2020 6 berth Autograph (only 2 of us) but once my wife had stepped into the model we purchased (Apache 634) she loved the spacious feel of it and seemed more willing to drive that, than the Bailey and yes ito an Auto-Trail. As a previous poster said on here you will find something negative written about all makes of vans It’s what suits you, and having spoke to other owners on some of the sites we’ve stayed on they are on their second or third Auto-Trails.
Whatever make of MH you buy to me it’s the layout that is the most important, that has to be right I have a mate who has a 12 month old van he recreate buying because of the layout. Also research gives you the knowledge to negotiate and walk away which I did on several occasions until I got the deal I wanted, which you will if you are patient and know exactly what you want. The dealer will recognise your not an easy sale.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hi all, we are still trying to work out which MH model(s) to consider. To try and conclude this I have tried to understand the logic (not much success there) of our requirement, see below. I would like members using their far superior experience and knowledge to mine to double check and comment please:
Budget: Up to £50k, but would like it to be closer to £40k.
MH type: Coach built or A class as I dislike the cramped feeling of a PVA.
Manufacturer: Probably not Auto Trail (unfortunately as I like their van designs) following all the negatives on this forum. Although I do really like their bathroom layout with separate shower. So probably a Swift or Bailey
Berths: Although there will be only the two of us 90% of the time, a six berth (see layout below). This gives us the option of separate relatively large beds and still have a sitting area ( whilst leaving the beds made up when on site if we wish).
Layout: 1/2 dinette (with swivelling cab seats to make up the front dinette/seating area). The two cab seats gives us extra comfort when using this dinette section. Rear u shaped lounge, to make up for a bed, but also giving the option for a large lounge area should we wish. Drop down bed over the dinette, completing the sleeping arrangements. The drop down bed here means a more pleasing and aerodynamic design outside over the cab, (I.e.a lo-line) possibly with a roof light.
Bathroom: obviously toilet and basin, but shower that is separate either within the bathroom or completely separate.
Weight and size: As I have a c1 a heavier model is fine. I would like at least a 600kg payload. The length must be no more than 7.8m to fit comfortably on my drive.
Outside: would like storage, not for bikes as I don’t use them, but fold up seats and bbq etc. An awning would be good.
Cab: ideally with sat nav, reversing cameras and air con. The first two I know could be retro-fitted.
Colour: inside and out I don’t care

Although I mention “I” a lot above, of course I mean “we”, or maybe the “I” is actually the wife commenting as I’m secondary in the decision making department.
Anyway all comments (good and bad) would be much appreciated.
Will your wife be able to drive it if you are taken ill? Thats why we chose a PVC as then we both can drive.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One point to note - the cab seats in a coach built tend to be the normal van seats eg Fiat etc but recovered. Because of this they they are far less comfortable when used as part of the lounge than A class cab seats, which tend to be Aguti or similar (bigger, softer etc). We full timed in a Swift coach built for 3 years, and although we loved the van, we rarely used the cab seats to lounge in, as they were too hard after a while! When people say they are the comfiest in the van, I suspect they are all A class owners!

Not sure that's strictly accurate. Surely "commercial" vans don't have swivelling seats and full adjustment? All I know is that the seats in our Swift are very comfortable, either used as driving or lounging seats. We did have them re-upholstered but they were the same after as before. However you're right in that seats can be upgraded - so

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Not sure that's strictly accurate. Surely "commercial" vans don't have swivelling seats and full adjustment? All I know is that the seats in our Swift are very comfortable, either used as driving or lounging seats. We did have them re-upholstered but they were the same after as before. However you're right in that seats can be upgraded - so
Although we have a PVC rather than a motorhome, we also find our seats very comfortable whether for driver/passenger or lounging generally, as our van is less than 6 months old they're as Hymer made them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
We researched and took on board opinions on here for a cpl of years before we purchased new 8 weeks ago. We were looking at the new 2020 6 berth Autograph (only 2 of us) but once my wife had stepped into the model we purchased (Apache 634) she loved the spacious feel of it and seemed more willing to drive that, than the Bailey and yes ito an Auto-Trail. As a previous poster said on here you will find something negative written about all makes of vans It’s what suits you, and having spoke to other owners on some of the sites we’ve stayed on they are on their second or third Auto-Trails.
Whatever make of MH you buy to me it’s the layout that is the most important, that has to be right I have a mate who has a 12 month old van he recreate buying because of the layout. Also research gives you the knowledge to negotiate and walk away which I did on several occasions until I got the deal I wanted, which you will if you are patient and know exactly what you want. The dealer will recognise your not an easy sale.

Hi Miick and Ruth, sound advice. As you, I’ve read quite a few negatives about the AT but really love the Apache 700 layout. It’s almost like we’ve decided on our ideal layout based on this model and so ticks all the boxes. Ironically I’ve spent a few hours today looking at the Bailey models a few on paper I like, also the 196 Elddis Autoquest 6 berth. However your post has some what cheered me up with your happy story of your 634. Thank you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Will your wife be able to drive it if you are taken ill? Thats why we chose a PVC as then we both can drive.

Hi Nirvanauk, good point, however she would not drive even a smaller PVC, so not a consideration

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp

Hi Mick and Ruth, you have obviously researched the Bailey range, could you please answer me a question: is there a big difference between the three ranges (Advance, Alliance and Autograph) for the same size MH other than price.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
You could always rent the one you think is for you. That will show up any thing that you had not thought about, ok you will have spent £500 ish but to buy then find it don’t suit you will cost much more to chop it in. If you can hire one from the dealership you intend to buy from ask him to knock the rental price off the purchase price.? Edited the typo’s

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
You could always rent the one you think is for you. That will show up any thing that you had not thought about ok you will have spent £500 ish but to buy then find it don’t suit you will cost much more to chop it in. I f you can hire one from the dealership you intend to buy form ask him to knock the renal price off the purchase price.?

Sounds like good advice. Although I have my wish list really need to do a tour of dealers to try and hone down our list of possible MH. Then possibly the route you suggest to hire. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Mick and Ruth, you have obviously researched the Bailey range, could you please answer me a question: is there a big difference between the three ranges (Advance, Alliance and Autograph) for the same size MH other than price.
We wanted a rear lounge and the 79-6 or 80-6 fitted the bill. We also wanted one my wife would feel comfortable driving in case I’m ill. I am 6’3 and as having a super king for the last 20 odd years, putting us in a fixed/island bed would have lasted 5 mins? Baileys are great for the price we also looked at Apache 700 and Frontier as well but looking from back to front felt it enclosed. The haymer we looked at with a rear lounge was 130k second hand ? The model we have has a massive bed in the lounge takes 2 mins to make up, the double bed above cab takes the pillows and duvet also should one of us be poorly and need to go to bed early this space will allow it.
It’s what works for you, but your doing right by asking these questions?

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I suggest you keep your budget as low as possible or, at least, purchase with a view to sell on again after a couple of years. You'll be extremely lucky to get it all right at the first attempt, so don't fall for anything unusual.
The style of van that suits best will also depend on where you intend to travel and at what time of year. All will suffice but some will fare better than others.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
We wanted a rear lounge and the 79-6 or 80-6itted the bill. We also wanted one my wife would feel comfortable driving in case I’m ill. I am 6’3 and as having a super king for the last 20 odd years, putting us in a fixed/island bed would have lasted 5 mins? Baileys are great for the price we also looked at Apache 700 and Frontier as well but looking from back to front felt it enclosed. The haymer we looked at with a rear lounge was 130k second hand ? The model we have has a massive bed in the lounge takes 2 mins to make up, the double bed above cab takes the pillows and duvet also should one of us be poorly and need to go to bed early this space will allow it.
It’s what works for you, but your doing right by asking these questions?

Hi Mick and Ruth, I am also tall (6' 2") so similarly looking for large beds and plenty of room although mostly will be just the 2 of us. We would also like separate beds, which could be left made up (if we wish) whilst having alternative seating area.
We are looking at the Autosleeper 196, as well as Bailey and Autotrail. Probably the larger Swift as well, so seem to be no further forward at the moment !!
We obviously need to get out there looking !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
I suggest you keep your budget as low as possible or, at least, purchase with a view to sell on again after a couple of years. You'll be extremely lucky to get it all right at the first attempt, so don't fall for anything unusual.
The style of van that suits best will also depend on where you intend to travel and at what time of year. All will suffice but some will fare better than others.

This sounds very painful !!!

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
This sounds very painful !!!
I hope not. It's supposed to be good fun!
Like all major projects, it's best to do a pilot/dummy run first if you can. You seem to have given this more thought than most - full marks for that - so I don't think you'll be too far off the mark. If you decide to wander off-grid and into Europe later, let alone deciding on unashamed luxury for two, your requirements could change considerably.
I wish you the very best in your new adventures (don't rush)!

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We did a lot of leg work before we even got to looking at motorhomes and van conversions, in the end it came down to what would fit on the drive as that was our decided option and for us a 5.4m van conversion is the right size.
We went to the NEC several times, to some shows and also dealers, we sat in vans, did pretend usage of making a meal, having a shower, sitting on the toilet, lying on the bed (making it up in the case of the first van).
We ended up having a pre-reg van with a new conversion for what was our "ideal layout", but in use it didn't work for me - Mark would have kept it but the small niggles for me became too big to ignore and so we traded it in for our current van - the layout works perfectly for us and the dogs, we've had trips just the 2 of us and went to France in September, had lots of shorter trips with the dogs, we even stayed overnight in the New Forest (with dogs) and then picked up our son and his friend with their bikes in Southampton after their charity bike ride - Reading to Southampton.
Yes, its small but it has everything we need, I'd love a separate shower, an oven or a bigger fridge, but for its size it ticks 90% of the boxes for us.
We have a permanent transverse bed at the back and if one wants to go to bed earlier than the other then the curtain separating bed from the rest of the hab area can be drawn.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
We did a lot of leg work before we even got to looking at motorhomes and van conversions, in the end it came down to what would fit on the drive as that was our decided option and for us a 5.4m van conversion is the right size.
We went to the NEC several times, to some shows and also dealers, we sat in vans, did pretend usage of making a meal, having a shower, sitting on the toilet, lying on the bed (making it up in the case of the first van).
We ended up having a pre-reg van with a new conversion for what was our "ideal layout", but in use it didn't work for me - Mark would have kept it but the small niggles for me became too big to ignore and so we traded it in for our current van - the layout works perfectly for us and the dogs, we've had trips just the 2 of us and went to France in September, had lots of shorter trips with the dogs, we even stayed overnight in the New Forest (with dogs) and then picked up our son and his friend with their bikes in Southampton after their charity bike ride - Reading to Southampton.
Yes, its small but it has everything we need, I'd love a separate shower, an oven or a bigger fridge, but for its size it ticks 90% of the boxes for us.
We have a permanent transverse bed at the back and if one wants to go to bed earlier than the other then the curtain separating bed from the rest of the hab area can be drawn.

Sounds perfect for you, I am jealous! However it does show and what I am starting to realise is that in many cases what you think fits your requirement in fact doesn't. Yes we will continue the research and dealer/ show visits but in the end we will take the plunge and go for it !!! We need to start somewhere, hopefully it will be life changing for the best.........

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
I hope not. It's supposed to be good fun!
Like all major projects, it's best to do a pilot/dummy run first if you can. You seem to have given this more thought than most - full marks for that - so I don't think you'll be too far off the mark. If you decide to wander off-grid and into Europe later, let alone deciding on unashamed luxury for two, your requirements could change considerably.
I wish you the very best in your new adventures (don't rush)!

Thank you. We dream of travelling southern Europe during winter following the sun. But will this become a reality, who knows. We are retired and other than grandparent duties can please ourselves, be if summer or winter. I'll admit I do like luxury (6 berth for 2 of us) and maybe our ideal will change, again who knows. I guess having too many beds is better than not enough providing it doesn't compromise other areas of the spec.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
A 2018 Roller Team 747 specced with cab air con, cruise control, auto box, solar etc and a separate shower together with a 250kg weight limit drop down bed & U shaped rear lounge are currently around £46k. Up plated to 3850kg without modification will give you an 875kg approx payload.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
A 2018 Roller Team 747 specced with cab air con, cruise control, auto box, solar etc and a separate shower together with a 250kg weight limit drop down bed & U shaped rear lounge are currently around £46k. Up plated to 3850kg without modification will give you an 875kg approx payload.

Sounds good !

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You could check out a few nearly new Bailey’s and Autotrails at Simon Howards Motorhomes in Taunton, they are reputable dealers and only a mile and half away from the only place you need to fit an alarm or LPG refillable gaslow, at Vanbitz. You get a stay at Cornish Farm campsite if buy from either???

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Something to remembr, if there is a big difference in heights, the orifinal Fiat seats have much better adjustments than other seats. up down tilt forward, lumbar support etc, as a 5'er this is important to me.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
Just a thought that if like me you prefer wild camping a larger motorhome may not be ideal, as mine is 6.8m and it's often a struggle to find parking spots and access the more remote places off the beaten track... Though I think you'll be surprised by the pull of the open road and the adventures to be had. Good luck =",'=

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Some vans have drop down electric beds. Ours( chausson , benimar are similar) can be left madeup when raised and we are only 6mtrs long. The separate shower is large. We can carry a spare 16 inch wheel horizontally in it. And bathroom door when slid closed is large enough to change in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Some vans have drop down electric beds. Ours( chausson , benimar are similar) can be left madeup when raised and we are only 6mtrs long. The separate shower is large. We can carry a spare 16 inch wheel horizontally in it. And bathroom door when slid closed is large enough to change in.
We are considering an electric drop down bed, along with a rear lounge that can be made up or not (as and when required). Have looked at a couple of Chausson's but only at this point online. Which model do you have and what makes it best solution for you.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back