Cheapest tracker to satisfy insurance please? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
I'm wasn't saying YOU are daft, just the idea of having one fitted and then ripping it out ... have you asked Eddie whether there is a need to have it removed and if his offering will give you anything 'better' than the one you could have installed beforehand? There are different 'levels' of trackers so the one you pick now may be just as good as Eddie's thence no need to remove it and have another put in.

I know the Vanbitz alarms are different to those installed elsewhere as they work totally independently of the canbus etc system which most (if not all?) use, but I'm not aware that the tracker is that much different ... best ask Eddie.
Sorry but as stated earlier, I think?
I don’t want a tracker at all!
The growler alarm is all I want and all Comfort want!

I have had a tracker and didn’t get on with it, it was top of the range but not what I needed! I kelp forgetting to turn it off!

Any temporary installation would only be that hence I need the cheapest even if crap, providing it meets comfort’s requirements UNTIL I get down to Eddie!

As stated earlier I am going to speak to Comfort tomorrow again!

thanks anyway everyone for your help!

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Profile says Gower so not very close.
In deepest darkest Gower! We are locked down so can’t go anywhere!
Van being delivered!

I want to get it as I prefer to take posession and keep it on my property and get on with making a few modifications!

thanks anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry but as stated earlier, I think?
I don’t want a tracker at all!
The growler alarm is all I want and all Comfort want!
Obviously it is your choice but if you're going to all the trouble of having it installed you might as well use it, if you then don't get on with it, take it out, but otherwise why not just keep it? We had one put on our Carthago and haven't had any issues with it at all. It works with the existing remote control so no problem with forgetting to turn it on/off.

Also if you need one for insurance purposes in the future you'd just need to subscribe for the 'tracking' part of it assuming it had run out.

Otherwise just go somewhere else for your insurance for the year where you don't need a tracker if Comfort won't budge as it would likely be cheaper than putting in a tracker on top of the premium.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had the same issue so went with another insurance company which we then cancelled once we had the growler fitted. Then re insured with comfort.
Could prove expensive though once you deduct the 'admin' fee for cancelling.

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Well upshot is that Comfort refused to move!
Tracker/alarm needed in 30 days!
I tried other insurer and they were £200 more expensive!

I have asked the dealer to get a smart track s7 tracker installed before I take delivery!

this is Ok with Comfort so cover in place!

I will still get the growler installed but at my liesure!

Cost was £195 installation and £12 per month to keep it active!

I will keep it for a year and see how it goes!

Unlike my previous tracker which I didn’t like there is no need to arm and disarm the tracker, it reports movements where ignition is not engaged, such as being towed or on a trailer! and if battery disconnected or interfered with!

seems a reasonable compromise, more than the premium increase in year one but I get the advantage, if there is one, of a tracker and I can take my time visiting Eddie for the growler!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

I have asked the dealer to get a smart track s7 tracker installed before I take delivery!

Unlike my previous tracker which I didn’t like there is no need to arm and disarm the tracker, it reports movements where ignition is not engaged, such as being towed or on a trailer! and if battery disconnected or interfered with!

seems a reasonable compromise, more than the premium increase in year one but I get the advantage, if there is one, of a tracker and I can take my time visiting Eddie for the growler!
That's the one we have that I mentioned previously.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp

What happens if they hotwire the ignition or break in to your house and steal your key?

Feb 6, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Try a different insurer, I use LV, no tracker required and this years cover was two hundred pounds less than comfort and that included breakdown anywhere in UK and EU in any vehicle. I broke down in France a couple of years ago and LV were very good and repatriated the mh back to my address, paid for hotels and car hire, can't fault them. Believe it or not my insurance premium in the year following the vehicle repatriation actually went down!!

Richard Sale

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Funster No
I have looked, the dealer isn’t interested and would only offer a limited selection at huge cost!
Hence me asking around on this forum!

I am prepared to spend over £1000 on the right one, but Eddie is closed!
Outsmart the thief is my fall back option but I do not like the local installer as they have a very bad reputation!
As a heads up Comfort don’t recognise OTT at least when I asked last time 😢

Surabaya

Free Member
Sep 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Due to the value of our MH we had to have a tracker fitted for insurance although an alarm wasn't required but we got it thrown in as part of the purchase deal (FOC) so were happy with it:

Tracker: SmarTrack Protector Pro Global TQA453 - it cost £199 to have fitted at our home and £399 for a lifetime subscription.

Alarm: Autowatch 695 (canbus) - we've had versions of this previously on other MHs/campers and never had any issues with them so more than happy to have one on our Carthago.
Snap! Our Malibu van had very similar combinations fitted November 2019. Really very happy with both, they are simple to use (unlike the Strikeback alarm I ended up never setting on my previous van due to needing to carry a manual around for all the options). The Autowatch Canbus 695 is simple to use, has a blue flashing visual deterent, and seems an affordable option. Needed support to reset the sequencing because managed to inactivate by setting with rear door open. Autowatch were exceptionaly patient in talking me through the on/off key sequencing and no problems since. The tracker I had was a Smar Track Cat 5 with option of lifetime subscription. A bit more expensive but police alerts etc etc. Both were installed by Rhinoinstalls, Preston, again their service and prices were excellent.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
The van has been at the dealers since November when I bought it!
I am having withdrawal symptoms as I need my van!
Too much money given to the dealer as deposit etc! I want posession of the goods just in case!
Hi Wuzzlewood,
Sounds like you are not far from me, why not leave it at the dealers, that way it’s safe, it’s their responsibility until delivered and you don’t start paying insurance till delivered, seems like a win win to me. I can appreciate your eagerness to get it ASAP but not really any point as you can’t go anywhere in it, mine’s been sitting on my drive and I’ve not been able to use it since September, and I am itching to get away somewhere, I even had to cancel my ferry in December when the Christmas lockdown was introduced, I think Patience is the operative word here, as for eddievanbitz, I think you will be towards the tail of a veeerrry looonng queue of cancelled bookings and back orders. Chill.

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Hi Wuzzlewood,
Sounds like you are not far from me, why not leave it at the dealers, that way it’s safe, it’s their responsibility until delivered and you don’t start paying insurance till delivered, seems like a win win to me. I can appreciate your eagerness to get it ASAP but not really any point as you can’t go anywhere in it, mine’s been sitting on my drive and I’ve not been able to use it since September, and I am itching to get away somewhere, I even had to cancel my ferry in December when the Christmas lockdown was introduced, I think Patience is the operative word here, as for eddievanbitz, I think you will be towards the tail of a veeerrry looonng queue of cancelled bookings and back orders. Chill.
With respect, I want my property in my posession!
I store it indoors and it is there for me to fiddle with ready for the off!
I have built two motor homes from scratch so know a bit about them and I want to make some mods to waste and fresh water systems amongst other things!
I have waited since October and want to take possession ASAP
We will be out in it the first weekend we are allowed!

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
As a heads up Comfort don’t recognise OTT at least when I asked last time 😢
They do actually recognise the alarm part, they do NOT recognise the tracker side of it!
I checked this yesterday!
Another reason to go for vanbitz!

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
What happens if they hotwire the ignition or break in to your house and steal your key?
Don’t know or care really!
When we are allowed to use it the growler will take care of security!
I can use the tracker to see where the deafened tw@t has left it!

I think it detects hot wiring!

if they break into the house for the key, the large dog gets them and the van is stored nowhere near my house!

Sep 6, 2011
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Con3 XL PVC
Exp
Started 1989
This time I went with Highway, part of LV=. A specific motorhome policy which included a Tracker, no extra charge, no sub for as long as the policy is in force. Self powered, v compact, conceal/install yourself then register it online with Tracker. Worked a treat!

Kelvin Barnett

Free Member
Jan 10, 2018
Funster No
I’m in a similar situation, I bought my Bailey Autograph 79-2F af caravan Motorhome show last October, as you s as ll may remember the road tax was put up, that reversed so my Motorhome came under the 60K limit that insurance companies use for trackers to be installed, as my vehicle is new caravan guards policy is new for old, so they are insisting that I install tracker, or have my policy as just market value, they get you both ways

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Try a different insurer, I use LV, no tracker required and this years cover was two hundred pounds less than comfort and that included breakdown anywhere in UK and EU in any vehicle. I broke down in France a couple of years ago and LV were very good and repatriated the mh back to my address, paid for hotels and car hire, can't fault them. Believe it or not my insurance premium in the year following the vehicle repatriation actually went down!!
I really can’t imagine anyone being £200 less than my comfort quote! I am only paying £310 for a £60k van!

I did try AIB with funster discount they wanted well over £500!

really couldn’t be bothered to spend any more time on the phone!

cost of comfort policy plus tracker is only £130 more than the AIB quote for year one! Subsequent years I save hundreds!

I am happy with the overall deal and if I choose not to bother with the growler and save £1000, I am still covered!

thanks anyway for your help.

Dec 16, 2019
Forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Hobby optima deluxe
Exp
since 1995
I was booked in for a Growler (now fitted),on the day of fitting iwas talked through different options available, and ended up with the Non Starter being fitted aswell. No pressure selling, just information.

In my view,an alarm just makes a lot of noise, which is good, but the Non Starter means it CANNOT be started, EVEN If they get past the dog an steal the van keys along with alarm fob.

OK,they could lift it onto a low loader,but it will make a lot of noise, and you can track it with the Non Starter.

I know its more money, but at least you get your MHF discount. 😉

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
This time I went with Highway, part of LV=. A specific motorhome policy which included a Tracker, no extra charge, no sub for as long as the policy is in force. Self powered, v compact, conceal/install yourself then register it online with Tracker. Worked a treat!
Hi Colin have you got any more info re the tracker and insurance company as never heard of them even as part of lv ,thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
With respect, I want my property in my posession!
I store it indoors and it is there for me to fiddle with ready for the off!
I have built two motor homes from scratch so know a bit about them and I want to make some mods to waste and fresh water systems amongst other things!
I have waited since October and want to take possession ASAP
We will be out in it the first weekend we are allowed!

They do actually recognise the alarm part, they do NOT recognise the tracker side of it!
I checked this yesterday!
Another reason to go for vanbitz!

Don’t know or care really!
When we are allowed to use it the growler will take care of security!
I can use the tracker to see where the deafened tw@t has left it!

I think it detects hot wiring!

if they break into the house for the key, the large dog gets them and the van is stored nowhere near my house!

I really can’t imagine anyone being £200 less than my comfort quote! I am only paying £310 for a £60k van!

I did try AIB with funster discount they wanted well over £500!

really couldn’t be bothered to spend any more time on the phone!

cost of comfort policy plus tracker is only £130 more than the AIB quote for year one! Subsequent years I save hundreds!

I am happy with the overall deal and if I choose not to bother with the growler and save £1000, I am still covered!

thanks anyway for your help.
Calm down chuck ... you must've just about used up your year's allowance of exclamation marks there!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back