Cheapest tracker to satisfy insurance please? (2 Viewers)

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
I am picking up (being delivered) an new motorhome next month!
My insurers, Comfort, who i am very happy wkteh have specified an alarm or tracker to thatcham levels, is fitted within 30 days!

i am having a growler fitted by Eddie as soon as he opens nd can fit me in, but that will almost certainly be longer than 30 days!

I am thinking of fitting the cheapest tracker or alarm just to satisfy insurance until Eddie can accommodate me!

I will speak to comfort again next week to see if the 30 days can be extended but when i asked a coup!e of weeks ago they seemed to be unmoveable!

i could look elsewhere for insurance but i am happy with comfort service and price!

i could also change insurance until i get my appointment with Eddie, cancel tbat policy and take out the comfort one!

looking at all options there is a cost to each and i am !ooking to minimise cost.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I would be surprised if comfort do not agree to extend the 30 days based on there is nowhere where you could get the tracker fitted until restrictions are eased.

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
I would be surprised if comfort do not agree to extend the 30 days based on there is nowhere where you could get the tracker fitted until restrictions are eased.
I can get one fitted on site! They will come to my place! All legal!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Evidently Aldi are doing one for£39.99 next week.

Scroll down to find a post on this subject

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I can get one fitted on site! They will come to my place! All legal!
I would tell comfort that you have a booking with eddievanbitz waiting for the ease of lockdown and push them to agree to the system you want.
They gave me an extension for our van, but that was a while back and the van was secured on our enclosed driveway.

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
I would tell comfort that you have a booking with eddievanbitz waiting for the ease of lockdown and push them to agree to the system you want.
They gave me an extension for our van, but that was a while back and the van was secured on our enclosed driveway.
Mine is secured in a locked barn, so quite safe! i plan on fitting the ATE pedal lock and securing th swivel seat in reverse!

i will push them again on Monday!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Due to the value of our MH we had to have a tracker fitted for insurance although an alarm wasn't required but we got it thrown in as part of the purchase deal (FOC) so were happy with it:

Tracker: SmarTrack Protector Pro Global TQA453 - it cost £199 to have fitted at our home and £399 for a lifetime subscription.

Alarm: Autowatch 695 (canbus) - we've had versions of this previously on other MHs/campers and never had any issues with them so more than happy to have one on our Carthago.

Allansheila

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2007
When we bought our van in august comfort insisted we had to have a tracker or alarm fitted within thirty days as Vanbitz were unable to fit one we had to have a tracker fitted smart track fitted one at my home address within two days

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No such thing as a cheap tracker or alarm that will be acceptable to insurance companies they insist on it being Thatcham approved & professionally installed. You are looking at least 400 quid.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I am picking up (being delivered) an new motorhome next month!

i am having a growler fitted by Eddie as soon as he opens nd can fit me in, but that will almost certainly be longer than 30 days!

I think you may be at the end of a very long queue

If Eddie was to open tomorrow I wonder how long the waiting list would be, based on previous bookings which have been cancelled ?

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I would go back to the insurers and ask which category tracker and a list of approved installers so you can make sure there are all shut
Wouldn't touch an insurance company asking for a fitted tracker in this pandemic but IMO I wouldn't take delivery of the van either, leave it at the dealers

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
I would go back to the insurers and ask which category tracker and a list of approved installers so you can make sure there are all shut
Wouldn't touch an insurance company asking for a fitted tracker in this pandemic but IMO I wouldn't take delivery of the van either, leave it at the dealers
The van has been at the dealers since November when I bought it!
I am having withdrawal symptoms as I need my van!
Too much money given to the dealer as deposit etc! I want posession of the goods just in case!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The van has been at the dealers since November when I bought it!
I am having withdrawal symptoms as I need my van!
Too much money given to the dealer as deposit etc! I want posession of the goods just in case!
Why not bite the bullet and chose another Thatcham alarm or tracker that can be fitted at the dealers ?

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Why not bite the bullet and chose another Thatcham alarm or tracker that can be fitted at the dealers ?
There isn’t one, they only offer some odd options!
If I am going to spend £1000 or so on an alarm I want the growler or my second choice outsmart the thief!

NRM

Oct 16, 2018
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096DF
Exp
If Comfort will accept just a Tracker, why not get this fitted by dealer; possibly comparable to Eddie's cost for a tracker. Then when you can get Eddie to fit his growler system. My insurer for a new van only required a Thatcham Tracker but I wanted Eddie's growler system fitting as well

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Maybe you need to look again
I have looked, the dealer isn’t interested and would only offer a limited selection at huge cost!
Hence me asking around on this forum!

I am prepared to spend over £1000 on the right one, but Eddie is closed!
Outsmart the thief is my fall back option but I do not like the local installer as they have a very bad reputation!

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
If Comfort will accept just a Tracker, why not get this fitted by dealer; possibly comparable to Eddie's cost for a tracker. Then when you can get Eddie to fit his growler system. My insurer for a new van only required a Thatcham Tracker but I wanted Eddie's growler system fitting as well
I don’t want a tracker really, I had one on my last van and found it inconvenient and expensive!

I want a good alarm hence Growler, I am only looking for a stop gap measure just in case comfort insist on the 30 days limit!

whatever I fit will be ripped out by Eddie and his boys just as soon as I can get an appointment at his place!

thanks anyway

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don’t want a tracker really, I had one on my last van and found it inconvenient and expensive!

I want a good alarm hence Growler, I am only looking for a stop gap measure just in case comfort insist on the 30 days limit!

whatever I fit will be ripped out by Eddie and his boys just as soon as I can get an appointment at his place!

thanks anyway
Sorry but that's just daft IMV, have you looked at the tracker and alarm I mentioned earlier? The tracker can be fitted at the dealer's premises without an issue, assuming of course that you pay for the MH beforehand, maybe arrange for it to be done on the day you go to collect it?

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Sorry but that's just daft IMV, have you looked at the tracker and alarm I mentioned earlier? The tracker can be fitted at the dealer's premises without an issue, assuming of course that you pay for the MH beforehand, maybe arrange for it to be done on the day you go to collect it?
Not daft at all, with respect I have been motorhoming for 30 years so know a bit about them and their needs!
I can have a crap one fitted at high cost by the dealer - No thank you!

I can get another tracker or alarm company to fit one within 30 days at my premises, indoors under cover. - That is what this thread is about, I am looking for the cheapest I can get installed at my premises, trackers seem cheaper than alarms hence my request for tracker info.

I can, and will speak to comfort again, even look at other insurers if they are similar costs as comfort, someone suggested NFU, my Range Rover is with the but they are expensive!

I HAVE a booking with Eddie just waiting for him to get a reopening date for growler fitting!

I may be, I probably am, thick but not daft unless I have missed something?

Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Vodafone have a cheap tracker £20 plus £2 per month, maybe a simple stopgap until you can get the one of your choice

OP
OP
wuzzlewood

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Vodafone have a cheap tracker £20 plus £2 per month, maybe a simple stopgap until you can get the one of your choice
Thanks Andy, but only any good if thatcham approved and accepted by insurance company!

I am ONLY doing this to meet their conditions within 30 days of purchase! I really don’t want a tracker, I want an all singing and all dancing alarm with no annual renewal charges just a one off payment, fitted by experts ( Eddie)!

I am hoping they will see sense with lockdown and allow me to extend the 30 days! Perhaps if Eddie eddievanbitz , gives me an email to confirm that I am booked in for fitting within 30 days of his reopening?

thanks anyway for your suggestion!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not daft at all, with respect I have been motorhoming for 30 years so know a bit about them and their needs!
I can have a crap one fitted at high cost by the dealer - No thank you!

I can get another tracker or alarm company to fit one within 30 days at my premises, indoors under cover. - That is what this thread is about, I am looking for the cheapest I can get installed at my premises, trackers seem cheaper than alarms hence my request for tracker info.

I can, and will speak to comfort again, even look at other insurers if they are similar costs as comfort, someone suggested NFU, my Range Rover is with the but they are expensive!

I HAVE a booking with Eddie just waiting for him to get a reopening date for growler fitting!

I may be, I probably am, thick but not daft unless I have missed something?
I'm wasn't saying YOU are daft, just the idea of having one fitted and then ripping it out ... have you asked Eddie whether there is a need to have it removed and if his offering will give you anything 'better' than the one you could have installed beforehand? There are different 'levels' of trackers so the one you pick now may be just as good as Eddie's thence no need to remove it and have another put in.

I know the Vanbitz alarms are different to those installed elsewhere as they work totally independently of the canbus etc system which most (if not all?) use, but I'm not aware that the tracker is that much different ... best ask Eddie.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Are you anywhere near Weymouth?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun