Chausson or Swift (1 Viewer)

O C

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
Hi.

Chausson or Swift?

Which is better quality in your opinion please?

Currently own a tent and have just started to search for a motorhome.

Thanks....

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Mikeco.

Thanks for your reply.

Why please?

Thanks....
Because if we had kept since 2006 when we bought it new I would have saved the thousands lost on buying other new vans. It was also on a 3 lt. Renault as well.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi OC,

If I may, why only Swift or Chausson, There's lots out there.

Regards,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I would also choose Chausson over Swift. In fact our last van was a Chausson.

Owned a Swift caravan previously and was unimpressed by the build quality. Floor went soggy very quickly too.

Just prefer continental design flair really. And Chausson certainly come up with some innovative ideas these days - although not all of them are perfect. The 'Flash' models are built to a budget, but still quite adequate in my book.

Upvote 0

Hollyhotdog

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Diss
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Just picked up our kontiki today , drove 200 miles back home . Sitting in it now having read all the manuals & tested nearly everything cannot find a fault yet ! Early days I know but speak as you find

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Only had self builds before I bought a new chausson last year..
I agree about the forward thinking and innovative design but in my opinion they still let themselves down with poor materials and workmanship... if I'd taken mine back for all the little faults it wouldn't have been on the road much..
I'm sure all that comes from their quest to keep the weight down and the materials are cosmetically OK but barley fit for purpose. ..
And I'm sure that applies to the majority of budget (but still very expensive) motorhomes not just chausson.. ..
Andy.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Certainly not a Swift .. They come with all the bells and whistles but are not that well put together. Plastic wood is used in the structure so it doesn't rot when the rain gets in.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We looked at new Chaussons a few years but wern't that keen on the layout so bought an Autosleeper, which we sold, still looking and smelling new, after 3 years.
Now, we are thinking of selling our recently bought ( old )Swift and looked at quite a few vans in France, particularly Chausson Pilote and Rapido.
I don't know what age van you are looking for, but the vans we looked at ranged from 1998 to 2005 and they hadn't worn well, our 20 year old Swift is still going strong has aged so much better than even the 2005 models we saw
Of course, I can only compare ours to the vans we looked at, but I wasn't impressed.
German vans are reputedly better built.
So far we have looked at 3 Hymers, all built in the late 90's but all of them suffered from damaged or smelly interiors and water leaks, especially round the windscreens.
I'm not sure the new ones fare any better judging from recent posts on the forum.
Go for a Swift. Or Autosleeper.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It depends what you want it for.
All Chaussons are well made for winter use, Swifts arent.
Swift have more comfy seats, but have smaller water tanks.
There's more to choosing a motorhome than superficial looks, base vebicle and layout.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Chausson for me. We changed a 4t Allegro 96 for a 3.5t Hymer exsis-i for licence reasons, and as far as I'm concerned the Chausson was better quality.

Malcolm

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Swift covers a range of possibilities as they've acquired 8 other MH & Caravan brands along the way. Our latest is a Bessacarr, which is Swift-built. It appears to be better build quality like-for-like than Swift's own brand, and is certainly better than CI, which we previously owned. A couple of minor warranty issues have emerged but I've learned to expect teething problems. No complaints here anyway. I'm not familiar with Chausson - we went for layout and price rather than brand-name.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had two Chaussons now . We like them they seem good for the price others swear by Swift. I would look at both and choose by layout and if you buy from a dealer their reputation. Our first was a private sale and looking back a bargain as it had high miles but was still a good buy.

Upvote 0

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Chausson every time. Yes I'm biased because we bought one but only after looking at all the main competitors. The build quality and space being just 2 of the main reasons. Add to that the fact that a compatible Bolero was 15k dearer and still a bit dated inside (just my opinion) made it an east choice for us. Two years on and our 718EB is still as good as new

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Had our Chausson for nearly 12 months and 4000 miles. On a Transit base.Really love it, and bought it as it ticked our must have boxes ( how the heck did italics get here)

My advice, spend time looking and trying, working out the compromises you will be making with any design and work on your list of what you like to get it down to a list of the four must haves.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Trust me (I speak from experience) the Germans are just as capable as other manufacturers of delivering poor quality - just search this forum if you need evidence of this :D. Chausson are no worse than any others.
Wash your mouth out with soap.......!!! Criticising Hymer build quality......Blimey!

:D2:D2:D2:D2

The pro Hymer brigade will come down on you like a ton of spuds.... ( what's German for potato by the way?)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There is more to it that just the make .......

We had a Chausson and were very happy with it but changed last year to a SunLiving (by Adria) as the layout that suited us better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

O C

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
Hi OC,

If I may, why only Swift or Chausson, There's lots out there.

Regards,

Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

Have just started looking and at local dealer these 2 brands both had a layout that suited.

Off to Malvern show, so hope to see many more.

Many thanks....

Just started

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

O C

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
I would also choose Chausson over Swift. In fact our last van was a Chausson.

Owned a Swift caravan previously and was unimpressed by the build quality. Floor went soggy very quickly too.

Just prefer continental design flair really. And Chausson certainly come up with some innovative ideas these days - although not all of them are perfect. The 'Flash' models are built to a budget, but still quite adequate in my book.

Many thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

O C

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
Just picked up our kontiki today , drove 200 miles back home . Sitting in it now having read all the manuals & tested nearly everything cannot find a fault yet ! Early days I know but speak as you find
Great. Life is good...thanks for taking the time out to help, especially when you have a new van. Thanks...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

O C

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
Only had self builds before I bought a new chausson last year..
I agree about the forward thinking and innovative design but in my opinion they still let themselves down with poor materials and workmanship... if I'd taken mine back for all the little faults it wouldn't have been on the road much..
I'm sure all that comes from their quest to keep the weight down and the materials are cosmetically OK but barley fit for purpose. ..
And I'm sure that applies to the majority of budget (but still very expensive) motorhomes not just chausson.. ..
Andy.

Really appreciate you sharing your experience/knowledge. Thank you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

O C

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
Certainly not a Swift .. They come with all the bells and whistles but are not that well put together. Plastic wood is used in the structure so it doesn't rot when the rain gets in.
Thank you for taking the time to post and help me. Don't they have a 10 year leak guarantee...?
Many thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

O C

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
We looked at new Chaussons a few years but wern't that keen on the layout so bought an Autosleeper, which we sold, still looking and smelling new, after 3 years.
Now, we are thinking of selling our recently bought ( old )Swift and looked at quite a few vans in France, particularly Chausson Pilote and Rapido.
I don't know what age van you are looking for, but the vans we looked at ranged from 1998 to 2005 and they hadn't worn well, our 20 year old Swift is still going strong has aged so much better than even the 2005 models we saw
Of course, I can only compare ours to the vans we looked at, but I wasn't impressed.
German vans are reputedly better built.
So far we have looked at 3 Hymers, all built in the late 90's but all of them suffered from damaged or smelly interiors and water leaks, especially round the windscreens.
I'm not sure the new ones fare any better judging from recent posts on the forum.
Go for a Swift. Or Autosleeper.

Hoping to get a new one £50,000 budget.

I'm really grateful for your post and advice.

Thank you....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back