Chausson 610 damp in boot area (1 Viewer)

JM53

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2009
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have joined because we have a damp problem in our motorhome in the boot area on both nearside and offside below the doors.
The motorhome is a 610 model purchased May 2017. We had a habitation check done May 2018 which showed damp in the rear door in the boot area. This was repaired under warranty eventually May 2019. We didn't have a habitation check done in May 2019 but assume all boot checked for damp when repair work done.
Habitation check done in February 2020 revealed this latest damp issue.
Chausson have just rejected the warranty claim because we didn't have habitation check done in May 2019.
I want to know if other Chausson owners have had similar problems with damp in the boot area, as I hope to be able to prove to Chausson that there is either a design fault or a construction fault which is causing the damp issue.
Any comments about similar damp issues would be very helpful. many thanks. John

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
I have had the garage door seals done on my 718xlb after it kept letting water in, Those bandits at Low****ns said it is a regular fault and well known........... it is the only reason i make sure i get robbed for a habitation check each year...having said that, Low*****ns still havent replaced the garage floor and sidewalls yet (a year and one hab check further on) but they will.

The nightmare for you is that you missed the May 2019 hab check, which gives them an out, as an alternative, go back to whoever repaired it under warrant and get on their back, as you would expect a repair to last more than 15 months

Good luck

OP
OP
J

JM53

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2009
Thanks for reply Mike. Can't go back in time but we should have had habitation check done whilst warranty work done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

JM53

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2009
Cheers for that suggestion. Do you by any chance know the name of the facebook group.Thanks

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
damp in the rear door in the boot area. This was repaired under warranty
how was it repaired... was the door replaced ..im assuming you mean the damp was in the structure of the door panel...
we have a damp problem in our motorhome in the boot area on both nearside and offside below the doors.
again do you mean in the fabric of the walls or water leaking through door seals...
that area could be affected by water thrown up from under the van and the floor of the garage not been sealed properly..
is the damp you mention a visible thing or high readings on a meter...im just curious as I have the 620 and have not spotted any signs of damp but haven't used a meter..
Andy

OP
OP
J

JM53

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2009
Hi andy63
food just being served, will come back to you in about 30 minutes

OP
OP
J

JM53

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2009
hi JM63
the damp in 2018 was in the structure of the back door on the boot. The door was replaced and our handles and locks transferred from the old door. At the same time they took off the rear bumper and lights etc to see if there was any further damp in the area below the boot floor. I don't know if there was because I haven't seen any paperwork for the work they did, it was under warranty work and dealer says paperwork is between them, subcontractor and Chausson.
I assume if there was it would have been dealt with at that time.
The current problem is in the structure of the walls below the boot doors on both side of the van. It was found by use of damp meters during habitation check Feb 2020.
I now think I can see a small damp patch on the van boot floor, but it might be my imagination

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Might be worth getting an independent damp check or buy a damp meter and take own readings.

think the chausson has wood along the wall and floor joins, ., but has a composite material adjacent to the bottom edge of the join , from memory of reading their manual.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
well if I was looking for the source of water ingress in that area id be inclined to be looking under the van.. those areas are subject to a lot of spray off the rear wheels... the only other possibility would be the strip that seals or makes up the door opening allowing water into the wall structure..
I would think it should be fairly easy to sort very localised damp like that whether under warranty or not..
hope you get some satisfaction
Andy

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Hi sorry I'm late to reply ,yes it seems a common problem on chausson motorhomes !I had a 2015 610 which had damp in the rear garage door locker that had to be changed under warranty .We only kept the vehicle for 18 months and we traded it in for our now current chausson 630 a 2017 .We have had to have the rear garage door locker replaced because of damp ,I notice that these doors are no longer fitted ,perhaps because of the damp problem?

In 2019 we had our second damp check and that revealed high levels of damp 88% in the garage nearside wall below the door .This was repaired at that time . Just had our annual check 2020 again damp was found in the same place with an even higher reading of 99%now again this has been repaired on the underside of the motorhome ,it seems like spray from the rear wheels?I spoke to the technician at the dealership and he said that they are all the same there is some exposed timber that wickes up the water from the vehicle underside , what an admission that is to make ! I have fitted some large mudflaps to try to limit the spray from the wheels.

I have had a second opinion on the damp by an independent technician since the second repair and he has still found a high level of damp still in the same place .Its tough that you missed your annual check its all they need to find a get out ,good luck hope it works out for you.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have heard of problems sealing the floor seams . I would recommend Cannock Resprays.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow what a poor show from Chausson, I bet when you trade this one in it will be for a different make surely, once, twice, surely not thrice?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Wow what a poor show from Chausson, I bet when you trade this one in it will be for a different make surely, once, twice, surely not thrice?
It's the reason I mentioned Cannock Resprays when we had our last hab check they mentioned problems with the slightly longer versions of our flash 10 they said that the seams on the change in floor level seem to be a problem.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Yes it's a shame because this motorhome we love it's the perfect layout for us and we love the contemporary design ,it's a great vehicle .

I had no intention of changing this vehicle but I am still in dialogue with the dealer ,I have asked them for a replacement but chausson have said no!The dealer is trying to help us and has suggested a change of brand and has mentioned a Dethleff he says what they lack in innovation they more than make up with quality and robustness ,can anyone confirm or deny that?we just have to wait and see if a deal can be struck.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Thankyou wino for your suggestion but the vehicle is still under warranty and I'm loathe to attempt any repair as it might negate the warranty

OP
OP
J

JM53

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2009
Hi sorry I'm late to reply ,yes it seems a common problem on chausson motorhomes !I had a 2015 610 which had damp in the rear garage door locker that had to be changed under warranty .We only kept the vehicle for 18 months and we traded it in for our now current chausson 630 a 2017 .We have had to have the rear garage door locker replaced because of damp ,I notice that these doors are no longer fitted ,perhaps because of the damp problem?

In 2019 we had our second damp check and that revealed high levels of damp 88% in the garage nearside wall below the door .This was repaired at that time . Just had our annual check 2020 again damp was found in the same place with an even higher reading of 99%now again this has been repaired on the underside of the motorhome ,it seems like spray from the rear wheels?I spoke to the technician at the dealership and he said that they are all the same there is some exposed timber that wickes up the water from the vehicle underside , what an admission that is to make ! I have fitted some large mudflaps to try to limit the spray from the wheels.

I have had a second opinion on the damp by an independent technician since the second repair and he has still found a high level of damp still in the same place .Its tough that you missed your annual check its all they need to find a get out ,good luck hope it works out for you.

OP
OP
J

JM53

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2009
hi Plum
Thanks for the reply
It does seem a common problem and a design fault. Currently awaiting replies from emails to Chausson and letter we sent to dealership. John

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Yes I have tried the chausson route when I had transit fuel injector problem after taking delivery of the vehicle, but they just steered me back to the dealer !I must say that I do have some sympathy for the dealer, but nevertheless they are the only avenue to finding some sort of solution .

The problem for me it seems it will cost us several thousand pounds to replace what is a faulty vehicle from its conception ,it's like pushing water uphill I just hope I am better off than I think I am or as wealthy as the dealer thinks I am .

Again I do wish you well and you get some satisfaction

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thankyou wino for your suggestion but the vehicle is still under warranty and I'm loathe to attempt any repair as it might negate the warranty
I use Cannock as they are Chausson approved service agents although they do not buy and sell motorhomes. They are also a lot cheaper than the dealer we bought from and provide better service.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
My Dealer says they have had a lot of water ingress on Chaussons, mine has in the rear going in Saturday for 2 weeks !!!

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
There's a 738b down the road from where we live. It has had Duc tape all along the top hinges of the rear garage door for some weeks now. Now I know why. Bad when manufacturers know there's a problem but pretend they don't.

JM.

Free Member
Dec 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have joined because we have a damp problem in our motorhome in the boot area on both nearside and offside below the doors.
The motorhome is a 610 model purchased May 2017. We had a habitation check done May 2018 which showed damp in the rear door in the boot area. This was repaired under warranty eventually May 2019. We didn't have a habitation check done in May 2019 but assume all boot checked for damp when repair work done.
Chausson have just rejected the warranty claim because we didn't have habitation check done in May 2019.
I want to know if other Chausson owners have had similar problems with damp in the boot area, as I hope to be able to prove to Chausson that there is either a design fault or a construction fault which is causing the damp issue.

JM.

Free Member
Dec 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610
John, I have just registered tonight on this forum, my wife and I purchased a 610 model, first registered in August 2016, in March 2017. We noticed a problem with the rear, top hinged, door and dampness was evident. I live in the south of Ireland and bought the motorhome from Central Motorhomes near Belfast. I have to compliment this company as they replaced the door under warranty and there has been no problem since.
With Covid 19 I am now in a similar bother to you as I have missed this year's habitation check in order to maintain the warranty.
If one excellent Agent is prepared to carry out the work under warranty I see no reason why your Agent should not be prepared to carry out the necessary work in your case under warranty.
I hope that you gave a positive outcome.
Regards, John.

OP
OP
J

JM53

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2009
Hi John,
Thanks for your comments. The moho is booked in with dealership to resolve the damp issue. The work to be done in March and cost is being covered by the dealership.
Unfortunately Chausson won't change their original decision that warranty is now invalid because we were late with a habitation check.
Hopefully they may be more flexible to people currently missing habitation checks because of covid.
John

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Chausson should hang their heads in shame. This seems to be a recurring fault with their garage doors. Just around the corner from us is a 2018 738xlb. All garage doors taped up with duct tape.

They should be made to do a recall and fix them all.

Agree with comment re Facebook group.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back