Chatham Historic Dockyard (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We are going to visit and I understand that we can park overnight on their visitors car park. Would be very interest to know if anyone has done the same or has any observations on the venue, noise, safety local eating places etc.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I have found information on the Search for Sites app. The review sounds good.
We have not been there for years but there is even more there now including a connection with Call the Midwife.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have found information on the Search for Sites app. The review sounds good.
We have not been there for years but there is even more there now including a connection with Call the Midwife.
Yes, Im afraid I may be told I am going to visit that too!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Not sure how long you are there for but The Royal engineers museum and Fort Amherst are very close within walking distance. There are several eateries in the outlet park but not used any for awhile, for pub grub the Ship & Trades used to be good again not eaten in there for a couple of years.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
It was a 2 day visit for us, so much to see and take in. I remember the carpark as being very quiet but cannot think of what else was around.
Did you stay in your Moho for two days/nights?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Can't help with overnighting but there's avast amount of level tarmac parking - maybe give them a call?
I went by car in July and very few people there. My ticket enables me to return within a year which I will certainly do as there's a bit too much to take in at one visit. I had an excellent pasty and sticky bun at the caff in the grounds.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A sad and empty place, once the heart of Medway.
From Rope loft to Dry Dock employment of class, great apprenticeship places, and the home of trade bicycles used as a means of interdepartmental transport, long before any green deal.
I remember it well, not for spectators or voyeur's.
Do I sound sad or angry if so not true, more let down

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
From Rope loft to Dry Dock employment of class, great apprenticeship places, and the home of trade bicycles used as a means of interdepartmental transport, long before any green deal.
I remember the Pussers Red Devil bikes In Pompey dockyard. Easier to get the RN to give you a Ferrari than a Red Devil

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
As already identified plenty of flat tarmac to park on. Security on site so park towards the left hand side of the entrance and you will see the security gate house.

Ship and trades pub, a Chinese, American diner and maybe an italian if they have survived lock down. Short taxi ride to Gillingham or Chatham for more choice. A burger king inside the shopping centre.

A long walk up dock road if using shank shies pony.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
My old Dad did his apprenticeship there and worked there all his life on subs, but sadly he died of mesothelioma due to coming into contact with asbestos. The strange thing is he was from London and was in digs in Rochester, many years later I started courting my now wife and when I told my mum where she lived it turned out it was the same house and my wife's bedroom was Dads old digs room.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
As already identified plenty of flat tarmac to park on. Security on site so park towards the left hand side of the entrance and you will see the security gate house.

Ship and trades pub, a Chinese, American diner and maybe an italian if they have survived lock down. Short taxi ride to Gillingham or Chatham for more choice. A burger king inside the shopping centre.

A long walk up dock road if using shank shies pony.
Thats great thanks, good to hear we shouldn't need to cook after walking around

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Nelsons flagship was built there but the building which had become a museum burnt down in the 60s. My great grandfather worked in the ropery. My grandfather finished his naval career there, my father was an Iron caulker and I was an electrical fitter apprentice. Recently went to an apprentice reunion and heard the names read out of the guys that had passed away. Asbestosis was a major cause. Worked on the last of the submarines that were built for the Canadian Navy. Probably less than 20% of the Dockyard that I knew left to see now.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We're here now, just settling down for the night, spent about 4-5 hours looking at everything, going to do the 'Midwife' tour in the morning.

Lots of places to eat about 5 mins walk away (we had a lovely Indian meal).
20211026_164409.jpg

Ours is the smaller moho.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back