Change vehicle type to Motorcaravan with DVLA (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
We have a Fiat Ducato van converted to a campervan (it was converted by a previous owner). The V5C lists it as a light goods vehicle and i'm thinking of getting it changed ( via the DVLA) to a motorcaravan, which seems simple enough on their website, but the question is: what benefit will this provide?, cheaper insurance?, road tax? (which i doubt) anything else?

Thanks

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Possibly insurance for contents?

You may find it becomes classified as a "van with windows".

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Fiat Ducato van converted to a campervan (it was converted by a previous owner). The V5C lists it as a light goods vehicle and i'm thinking of getting it changed ( via the DVLA) to a motorcaravan, which seems simple enough on their website, but the question is: what benefit will this provide?, cheaper insurance?, road tax? (which i doubt) anything else?

Thanks
It may look easy to change to a motorhome, but the experience of many on this forum is that the DVLA makes sure it is nearly impossible even if you provide everything they ask for. As Helen has said the best you can hope for is a "van with windows".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!

Thanks
The 'body type' is nothing at all to do with the taxation class. Even if you do get it reclassified as a 'Motor Caravan' it will not make any difference to the tax payable as once that is set at first registration it cannot be changed. It also won't affect insurance. Insurers insure according to what the vehicle is, not the body type. But it's always best to insure PVCs with insurers who are known for insuring campers rather than panel vans.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
It's near impossible to get it changed other than to van with side windows.Mine is 2020 Boxer,converted it with side windows both sides ,roll out awning ,graphics to all 4 sides with camping scene and campervan pictured,fridge, water heater ventilation and night heater vents in stainless (shiney) steel and just about ever thing you can think of ,ticked every box on dvla website(and more)
Changed from van to van with side windows.
In law it makes no difference (you may have to prove it is a camper if a fine/penalty is issued using dvla database,in Europe you may be treated as a van,Insurance from my experience no problem ,mot as presented IE what tester sees not what's on V5

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Should have said you can lower tax by up plating..a paper exercise 3500kg to 3850kg becomes a private light goods vehicle reduces tax no other effects except You need a C1 licence

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think you will have lower speed limits if classed as a van than as a motorhome.

You are limited to 50 on single carriageway roads and 60 on dual carriageway

Most vans:

have a lower speed limit than cars
must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight
Vehicles under 2 tonnes laden (loaded) weight may qualify as a ‘car-derived van’ or ‘dual-purpose vehicle’. These vehicles have the same speed limits as cars.

So unless it's under 2 tonnes laden the lower limits apply. It is of course bonkers!

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
It has no effect on speed limits it is again what it is not what it says on V5 according to dvla.So if it's being used as a van it's a van if as a motorcarvan (with fittings to prove it's a motorcarvan as DVLA will point out when they refuse your application to change

Jul 24, 2022
St Albans, UK
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Motorhome noobs: Looking for a motorhome/campervan

Thanks
This might be interesting to read https://climbingvan.co.uk/van-life/reclassifying-your-campervan-dvla/ About 5% of requests were approved. So I wouldn't put too much effort into it as you will most likely end up with "van with windows" as others have said.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It has no effect on speed limits it is again what it is not what it says on V5 according to dvla.So if it's being used as a van it's a van if as a motorcarvan (with fittings to prove it's a motorcarvan as DVLA will point out when they refuse your application to change
Are you saying if you use your motorhome to transport things as a van that lower limits apply? I think it does matter what the v5 says that's what the speed camera will generate the fixed penalty from.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
That's why I referred to penalties issued using DVLA database not me saying several references in other threads on here,sure someone who knows fine detail will be alnong
But I have 2 letters from DVLA stating MOT,insurance and speed limits MOT & VED are not affected

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think you will have lower speed limits if classed as a van than as a motorhome.

You are limited to 50 on single carriageway roads and 60 on dual carriageway

Most vans:

have a lower speed limit than cars
must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight
Vehicles under 2 tonnes laden (loaded) weight may qualify as a ‘car-derived van’ or ‘dual-purpose vehicle’. These vehicles have the same speed limits as cars.

So unless it's under 2 tonnes laden the lower limits apply. It is of course bonkers!
No they don't If you are using it & it is a motorhome/camper then the higher limits apply
I think it does matter what the v5 says
No it doesn't .It is what you use it for.
hat's what the speed camera will generate the fixed penalty from.
Yes &,as has happened on here to some funsters,you send it back pointing out that it is a motorhome & that the higher limits apply & the fine is rescinded..

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Wow, that sparked some debate :)
Think i'll leave it as a light goods vehicle as based on the above then there's no advantage to changing it and as such not worth the effort.

Thanks everyone.
Are the number of belted seats correct?

Worth sending off for that.

Blingo

Free Member
Apr 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Hi. I've spent all day reading as I am trying to sort the paperwork on my now converted 4.6t Sprinter bus.
The only advantage of the Motorhome category seems to be 10mph on single and dual carriageways but then only on vehicles below 3.05t. I thought 3.05 was a typo of 3.5 but its not.
I can see no reason why they are so reticent to allow the Motorhome label, like so much of the law these days it defies logic. When I drop the seat number below 9 it no longer qualifies as a minibus so they call it a goods vehicle, if I can't be a bus without enough seats how come I can be a goods vehicle without any goods capacity?! The "what it looks like" requirement is applied very selectively! A Motorhome category for such instances with suitable sub categories would be a great solution!

Different subject but my problem is getting them to stop seeing it as a bus, something you have to sort with DVSA and that's a saga in its own right. The good news is that you can always get them on the phone in my experence but the advice given has been different with every person I've spoken to. With zero tolerance of error, no clear guidance or proactive help and no feedback on incorrect submissions, Having to deal separately with DVLA and DVSA - who don't communicate with each other - is another challenge we shouldn't have to negotiate.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Hi. I've spent all day reading as I am trying to sort the paperwork on my now converted 4.6t Sprinter bus.
The only advantage of the Motorhome category seems to be 10mph on single and dual carriageways but then only on vehicles below 3.05t. I thought 3.05 was a typo of 3.5 but its not.
I can see no reason why they are so reticent to allow the Motorhome label, like so much of the law these days it defies logic. When I drop the seat number below 9 it no longer qualifies as a minibus so they call it a goods vehicle, if I can't be a bus without enough seats how come I can be a goods vehicle without any goods capacity?! The "what it looks like" requirement is applied very selectively! A Motorhome category for such instances with suitable sub categories would be a great solution!

Different subject but my problem is getting them to stop seeing it as a bus, something you have to sort with DVSA and that's a saga in its own right. The good news is that you can always get them on the phone in my experence but the advice given has been different with every person I've spoken to. With zero tolerance of error, no clear guidance or proactive help and no feedback on incorrect submissions, Having to deal separately with DVLA and DVSA - who don't communicate with each other - is another challenge we shouldn't have to negotiate.
If you meet the definition of a motor caravan and you are also under 3.05t unladen then the passenger vehicle speed limits apply - you do not need to have DVLA register you as a Motor Caravan.

'Van with windows' is sufficient.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+

And welcome to the forum!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
3.05t speed limits don't exist .....I challenge anyone to find a curb weight sticker or plate.
Police/local authorities will see it as either a van or motorhome and use the gross weight on the VIN plate.
Same goes for speed restrictions in France etc for vehicles over 3500kg.
How do they know your van weights 4.8t...it looks the same as a 3t van.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
As previously discussed here

With respect, I know folks like to be helpful, and this is a great site for that, but posts about legislation / Regs stuff that start with the phrase “I think…” should be disregarded.

If you don’t actually know, please don’t give an opinion about legislation/ regs unless it’s either an expert one or from personal practical experience.

Sadly it does nothing but continue to confuse the issue.

dvla & @ Speed partnerships - come on, get your bloomin act together 😔

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
3.05t speed limits don't exist .....I challenge anyone to find a curb weight sticker or plate.
Police/local authorities will see it as either a van or motorhome and use the gross weight on the VIN plate.
Same goes for speed restrictions in France etc for vehicles over 3500kg.
How do they know your van weights 4.8t...it looks the same as a 3t van.
Manufacturers data..

Which is useless for a subsequently converted vehicle
👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back