Catch on Habitation door (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
The catch on my AT motorhome habitation door has broken. I assume that it is a generic catch, and wonder if anyone else has experienced similar. The upper catch works fine, and engages with the frame when the door is closed. However the lower pin has become "sloppy", and does not engage.

I would like to remove the trim to examine the mechanism, but am not sure how to release the clips. The trim is retained using plastic-headed pins, as shown at lower left of the photo. I have tried to prise them off gently, but they do not want to release. Is the only way to remove the trim to shear the pins and then replace them? If so, what are they called, so I can buy some replacements.

Thanks, John

WP_20161028_001.jpg

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
The little rod you see in the centre is actually extended when new and is pushed home after the plastic rivet has been installed to push out the legs.
See http://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/6mm-p....html?gclid=CK77goyw_s8CFUcQ0wodrWoMYA#237=10

If you can get some long nose pilers on the rod you can pull it back out and remove the plastic rivet. I have had some success with a matchstick superglued onto the end of the rod to pull it back out when I have been stuck, but in some cases they have refused to play ball and end up snapping them off and replacing.

Easy to get hold of although white or ivory may prove harder so you might end up having to break out the airbrush and colouring them yourself...

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
They look like the sort to me where there is a small plastic pin in the centre, which is pressed into the outer part to expand the back part out and hold it all in place - if that makes sense! Edit - Cornish Boy beat me to it!

If you can get any purchase on that centre pin, pull it out - but you may well wreck it in the process. I *have* had success with pushing the pin all the way in, so it falls down behind the trim, then fishing it out afterwards. You could try a trim removal tool - a forked plastic tool that you push behind the head of the fixing - loads on Ebay. If you're lucky the whole thing will ease out and be reusable. You might need one even if you get the centre pin out.

As for a new fixing, any decent car parts store will sell a selection of black ones, you'll find that one that will fit. Finding a beige one may mean using a dealer for your MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What year is it? We had to replace our door latch. Was expensive at around £120 but very easy to do once you get started.

EDIT just noticed its not your latch.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
These fasteners look very similar to those used to secure the plastic bumpers to Vauxhall cars nowadays. To remove them, you just push the pin in, ideally using something the same size as the pin (the back of a small drill bit works well) - you don't want to make a hole in the end of the pin, as that will spread the end, making it unusable, and the 'mushroom' can be withdrawn, leaving the panel free to be removed. Gather up the pins you will find inside the door, and place them in the top of the mushrooms again, ready for re-use! Have fun!

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
What year is it? We had to replace our door latch. Was expensive at around £120 but very easy to do once you get started.

EDIT just noticed its not your latch.

It's a 2008 model. It may be the latch (catch?) mechanism, but I need to get the trim off to see. Some helpful suggestions on here, as usual.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ours did the same.. Took the door apart and found a selection of issues.
The worst problem was that the catch had actually broken off the mount.
I cut a bit of 12 gauge steel and pop riveted over the remains of the mounts ( after straightening them up a bit ! )
I also found one of the actuator bar things had bent up due to the catch not being located properly..
Soon sorted that out !
That was 2 1/2 years and countless slams ago..
If yours is the same as mine, look at the fasteners closely
You should see there is a wee centre bit.. Push those in about 3 or 4mm and they release
To reuse the fasteners push the pin all the way out ( cos you will now have access to the back of them if you see what I mean ) ..
When reassembling the door, push the fasteners in to their holes.. and then push the pins back in which will spread the fastener and make them secure again

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
You may find a return spring has come off or broken from the lower catch mechanism causing it to become sloppy. If so you should be able to reattach the spring or source a replacement locally from a DIY store or similar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back