Catch 22 high value Aclass motorhome insurance with no previous MH experience but I have a full C class on my driving licence. (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
Caravan Trailers 30 years
Aclass motorhome insurance with no previous MH experience but I have full C classas well as C1 on my driving licence and tick every box on the quote form .
I have over the last 2 years done my homework , I know the make and model which fits our requirements and when I need it , early 2023.
Concorde Carver 791RL LHD on the Iveco 70c chasis fully fitted value circa 260k , I haveheld a full UK driving licence (40years+) 35 years + towing caravans all over europe.
Over 20 years of NCB, clean licence, I used to do 40k miles per year now lookng to retire 2023, good low risk home postcode for insurance.
I like to plan and prepare hence looking at insurance now , I had a few names on my list , NFU, CMC, Comfort, Safeguard. Caravanguard.
I am waiting for NFU to call me but I dont think they will as i put the value on the online call back form . So because I havent owned a large value MH before CMC, Safguard. and Caravanguard cannot place my business. Comfort are simply not taking any new busness with a value over 225k.
I have recently hired HGV trucks much bigger than the MH I am looking at and I could if I wanted/afford buy an exotic supercar and be insured.
Any advise great;y received as to how or who I need to speak with to make buying my MH of choice possible ie getting insurance.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Motorhomefun have an Insurance Broker who advertises on here.
They are AIB and the bonus is they give 15% discount to full members.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Paulpl

Nice van, love the lounge and kitchen space but I would miss the big garage and expansive views from the A class windscreen.

Anyway getting to insurance, as you are planning ahead it might be worth while putting some business like cars house etc with the NFU and then you might get a much more favourable response when the time comes, our van is similar value and the NFU didn't ask about any previous experience but did ask "do you have any other policies with us" which we purposely had ;)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Motorhomefun have an Insurance Broker who advertises on here.
They are AIB and the bonus is they give 15% discount to full members.
I could be wrong but I think that they will baulk at the value, there was a post about a week ago I think saying as much.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Further info is we have a "concorde owners" area here

You may have to pay the 15 nicker for a years worth of this

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
I always thought it strange when being asked if I'd done a Caravan Club manoeuvring course by insurance companies, yet having held a C+E (and D+E) licence is dismissed.
This morning got a quote of about £330 from Comfort (Aviva); AIB sent me an email saying they couldn't phone me; and Advance Insurance (a broker tel 01225 433491) quoted £305; so I took their offer a cover through Highway (LV). Half an hour later AIB rang me; I thanked them and said: "Too late".

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
NFU are normally the best bet with high value vans but not all their offices will quote you. The best are Chichester or Louth.
Only downside with NFU is they will only give you 3rd party cover for Croatia & Morocco.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
NFU are normally the best bet with high value vans but not all their offices will quote you. The best are Chichester or Louth.
Only downside with NFU is they will only give you 3rd party cover for Croatia & Morocco.
I will second NFU Mutual, especially the Chichester branch who are really helpful.

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
Hi Paulpl

Nice van, love the lounge and kitchen space but I would miss the big garage and expansive views from the A class windscreen.

Anyway getting to insurance, as you are planning ahead it might be worth while putting some business like cars house etc with the NFU and then you might get a much more favourable response when the time comes, our van is similar value and the NFU didn't ask about any previous experience but did ask "do you have any other policies with us" which we purposely had ;)

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Towergate do traveling fairground vehicle insurance, values far in excess of your quoted needs, give them a call you may be surprised at the response as relatively low value in the real money world!

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
Towergate do traveling fairground vehicle insurance, values far in excess of your quoted needs, give them a call you may be surprised at the response as relatively low value in the real money world!
Hi Clipgate, Thanks for the tip a broker who canaplace a newbie's business is what I need. I am expecting a decent premium/excess first year as no previous with aclass ownership regardless of actual HGV experience .

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
Hi Funflair Thanks for your thoughts, NFU is stilll to call but due to 90 day restrictions I need Croatia and would like Morocco to be covered.
With regatrds to the layout of the 791RL, with the U shape lounge at the back and drop down bed at the front we will have more daytime living space. The large screen viewing area up front with captains chairs is srill there and if we wish gives us two seperate rooms . The lounge seating doesnt have too much of an impact on the garage space still plenty of room to fit a couple of bikes equipment and probably a washing machine.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Paul

I cannot remember being asked about MH driving experience by insurers. I too had none before this one, but like you I had truck experience even though mine was only 7.5tonners. So had I been asked that would have been my answer, so suggest the same for you, if asked.

I found NFU good, Louth office in my case. I only switched to Safeguard to get 365-day cover in EU.

Geoff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
Paul

I cannot remember being asked about MH driving experience by insurers. I too had none before this one, but like you I had truck experience even though mine was only 7.5tonners. So had I been asked that would have been my answer, so suggest the same for you, if asked.

I found NFU good, Louth office in my case. I only switched to Safeguard to get 365-day cover in EU.

Geoff

Geoff
Thanks Geoff yes I hoped having a HGV licence rather than just the C1 would help

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
Hi Paulpl

Hi Martin Yes I just wanted day time space which the u shape lounge gives and I still have the veiwing room upfront. Garage isn't that compromised by he seating box above still plenty of room for bikes equipment etc. I doubt NFU will tick my boxes as croatia etc is required. thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin Yes I just wanted day time space which the u shape lounge gives and I still have the veiwing room upfront. Garage isn't that compromised by he seating box above still plenty of room for bikes equipment etc. I doubt NFU will tick my boxes as croatia etc is required. thanks
I agree with you about Croatia and Morocco and will have to cross that hurdle when we eventually go, as to layout we first saw the rear lounge idea on a PhoeniX at Dusseldorf show and went WoW this is nice, then the "but's" started to creep in, a garage as big as we had in the Flair was important to me so we let the idea slip, interestingly though it's about the only layout that MORELO don't do so they must be happy to let their friends up the road at Concorde keep that share of the market, possibly they think its just not big enough for everyone to have a piece.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We use NFU Stokesley branch, 2k a year with 2k excess no recovery though.
3 years no claims bonus.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
going to give them a try

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sadly none of their underwriters offered to cover a high value motorhome.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Skipton NFU, not too far away from you, deal with motorhomes. Like others have mentioned, I do have other insurance with them. I've never had to make a claim, but find them very easy to deal with. Unless you're planning on going to Croatia this year it could worthwhile giving them a ring. 01756 793516

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert, there must be brokers who can source underwriters offering higher value MH insurance. I just need to find them.
Paul
NFU will do it
They’re more likely to insure an existing customer though

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Get the megabus insured first - then worry or shop around for additional Croatia etc cover... or change your plans.

I suspect it'll be much easier to get additional cover added to existing cover.

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
Skipton NFU, not too far away from you, deal with motorhomes. Like others have mentioned, I do have other insurance with them. I've never had to make a claim, but find them very easy to deal with. Unless you're planning on going to Croatia this year it could worthwhile giving them a ring. 01756 793516
Yes Skipton is local to us, with the 90 day rule we need the option of Croatia and we want to tour Morocco .
I havealready sent NFU Skipton a make contact request looks as if a call is required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back