Catch 22 high value Aclass motorhome insurance with no previous MH experience but I have a full C class on my driving licence. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
Caravan Trailers 30 years
Get the megabus insured first - then worry or shop around for additional Croatia etc cover... or change your plans.

I suspect it'll be much easier to get additional cover added to existing cover.
Good point hence the call to NFU and also looking for alternatives

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes Skipton is local to us, with the 90 day rule we need the option of Croatia and we want to tour Morocco .
I havealready sent NFU Skipton a make contact request looks as if a call is required.
Saga offer Morroco cover, though I'm not sure about high value vans.
Another thing to consider is that NFU offer a 'new for old' replacement if your van is written off within the first 2 years.
This is very valuable.

They also offer unlimited windscreen cover, not always included with other insurers

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
NFU are normally the best bet with high value vans but not all their offices will quote you. The best are Chichester or Louth.
Only downside with NFU is they will only give you 3rd party cover for Croatia & Morocco.
Interesting, does it still cover the windscreen? While third party that is

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here 3rd party & 3rd party F&T always cover glass. Whether they would in the UK dropping from FC is anybodies guess.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
NFU are normally the best bet with high value vans but not all their offices will quote you. The best are Chichester or Louth.
Only downside with NFU is they will only give you 3rd party cover for Croatia & Morocco.
NFU shouldn’t be worried about it being first time Motorhome. Try Louth. They are really good

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Aclass motorhome insurance with no previous MH experience but I have full C classas well as C1 on my driving licence and tick every box on the quote form .
I have over the last 2 years done my homework , I know the make and model which fits our requirements and when I need it , early 2023.
Concorde Carver 791RL LHD on the Iveco 70c chasis fully fitted value circa 260k , I haveheld a full UK driving licence (40years+) 35 years + towing caravans all over europe.
Over 20 years of NCB, clean licence, I used to do 40k miles per year now lookng to retire 2023, good low risk home postcode for insurance.
I like to plan and prepare hence looking at insurance now , I had a few names on my list , NFU, CMC, Comfort, Safeguard. Caravanguard.
I am waiting for NFU to call me but I dont think they will as i put the value on the online call back form . So because I havent owned a large value MH before CMC, Safguard. and Caravanguard cannot place my business. Comfort are simply not taking any new busness with a value over 225k.
I have recently hired HGV trucks much bigger than the MH I am looking at and I could if I wanted/afford buy an exotic supercar and be insured.
Any advise great;y received as to how or who I need to speak with to make buying my MH of choice possible ie getting insurance.
I hope you take these comments as well meant and constructive. I've been doing this a long time and spoken to a lot of fellow MHers over the years, frequently comparing notes on our MH's. Most of them do not get their ideal mh first time around. Even though you have clearly been researching its rarely the same when you actually start using it. The same is true of the caravan experience, you may well find that when you have a motorhome and more time your holidays may be different than they are currently.

If you pay £260K for a new one and decide that its not quite right for you it would take a lot of selling, Expensive MH's are almost all difficult to sell and need brokering so the dealers take a big cut and you get a huge whack of depreciation being a rear lounge model wouldn't help as they are a bit niche ( although more are appearing)

You could buy a very similar Mh on the used market for a lot less money and see if that works for you before progressing to your ultimate goal without taking such a big financial hit. As has been mentioned, most people want somewhere to put a scooter and/or bikes, Ive had a quick look on mobile.de ( home market) and most of them do have garages, there are a few Rear Lounge models ( more than I expected tbf) but they are all 890's, Ive been in them and agree that they re nice inside but does it work with the shorter body?
Broken Link Removed

Buy the way I could also afford to buy a new one but I prefer the older ones this is our 3rd in 15 years

I hope this helps you
Jon

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Your link wouldn't let me in Jon don't know why or even if this one is better, anyway here is a 890RRL and yes they do work better with a massive kitchen and lounge space but another 1 metre to drag around if that matters.

Broken Link Removed

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Your link wouldn't let me in Jon don't know why or even if this one is better, anyway here is a 890RRL and yes they do work better with a massive kitchen and lounge space but another 1 metre to drag around if that matters.

Broken Link Removed
Strange, it worked for me. Was it the Phoenix that had a similar setup but with a better garage martin?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
According to Southdowns the 791RL is 8.85 (that surely can't be right). Its showing the conventional rear lounge not the flash one with the L shape kitchen, so it would fit in a shorter body

1613810296621.png

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
According to Southdowns the 791RL is 8.85 (that surely can't be right). Its showing the conventional rear lounge not the flash one with the L shape kitchen, so it would fit in a shorter body

View attachment 467391
The 791RL is 8.085 Jon did they miss out a 0, the rear lounges are different because of the different kitchen basically but you need the extra metre.

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
I hope you take these comments as well meant and constructive. I've been doing this a long time and spoken to a lot of fellow MHers over the years, frequently comparing notes on our MH's. Most of them do not get their ideal mh first time around. Even though you have clearly been researching its rarely the same when you actually start using it. The same is true of the caravan experience, you may well find that when you have a motorhome and more time your holidays may be different than they are currently.

If you pay £260K for a new one and decide that its not quite right for you it would take a lot of selling, Expensive MH's are almost all difficult to sell and need brokering so the dealers take a big cut and you get a huge whack of depreciation being a rear lounge model wouldn't help as they are a bit niche ( although more are appearing)

You could buy a very similar Mh on the used market for a lot less money and see if that works for you before progressing to your ultimate goal without taking such a big financial hit. As has been mentioned, most people want somewhere to put a scooter and/or bikes, Ive had a quick look on mobile.de ( home market) and most of them do have garages, there are a few Rear Lounge models ( more than I expected tbf) but they are all 890's, Ive been in them and agree that they re nice inside but does it work with the shorter body?
Broken Link Removed

Buy the way I could also afford to buy a new one but I prefer the older ones this is our 3rd in 15 years

I hope this helps you
Jon
Hi Jon, These are the type of comments I want , I take any comment as constructive, and that is why I like a great site such as this.
The reason I believe the 791`RL will work for us is because it has everything we need within its 8.05m length. The lounge is U shape I dont really like the C shape as in the RRL, if the RRL had a U shape I would then be thinking. But the 8m will be easier to park at home albiet only a bush would need moving for a 9m one. Traveling in the UK I see 8m having a slight practical advantage v longer ie some cls etc. The interior needs to have minimal wasted space so having the bed drop down over the driving areae is a much bettter use of space. More useable space is gained back outside sleeping hours. I thought about renting an RL across in Germany but current covid19 has put a stop on that . Yes a low used RL would be on interest and makes economic sense. The RL model was launched in 2018 so outside the 1 year old rental market as yet I havent seen anything even outside the spec I need. I am looking at an early 2023 delivery which will require a 2021/22 order date and some used models should also become available later this year. It is said you dont get it right with a MH until your 3rd one. So far in life I seem to have got it right first time with all of my other motor or RV choices for RV's it has always been new and oftern niche but practical at the time. . Concorde were not showing at Dusseldorf last year but I trust they are this year as we need to be there lookng at doing a deal.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jon, These are the type of comments I want , I take any comment as constructive, and that is why I like a great site such as this.
The reason I believe the 791`RL will work for us is because it has everything we need within its 8.05m length. The lounge is U shape I dont really like the C shape as in the RRL, if the RRL had a U shape I would then be thinking. But the 8m will be easier to park at home albiet only a bush would need moving for a 9m one. Traveling in the UK I see 8m having a slight practical advantage v longer ie some cls etc. The interior needs to have minimal wasted space so having the bed drop down over the driving areae is a much bettter use of space. More useable space is gained back outside sleeping hours. I thought about renting an RL across in Germany but current covid19 has put a stop on that . Yes a low used RL would be on interest and makes economic sense. The RL model was launched in 2018 so outside the 1 year old rental market as yet I havent seen anything even outside the spec I need. I am looking at an early 2023 delivery which will require a 2021/22 order date and some used models should also become available later this year. It is said you dont get it right with a MH until your 3rd one. So far in life I seem to have got it right first time with all of my other motor or RV choices for RV's it has always been new and oftern niche but practical at the time. . Concorde were not showing at Dusseldorf last year but I trust they are this year as we need to be there lookng at doing a deal.
It is a lot of van in a smidge over 8 metres for sure, as you have proven you can get it right first time with a bit of homework, we are on our second van and it is exactly the same layout as the first one that we had for 8 years so yes it can be done.

You are right Concorde were not at Dusseldorf last year but they organised their own little open week along with their close neighbours PhoeniX.

One thing I wondered with the bed being up behind the widscreen was how hot would it get if the sun hit the screen first thing in the morning?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Another thing to consider is that there are no side windows in the sleeping area. Which might be an issue if you enjoy a cuppa in bed in the morning, watching the world go by.

If you like this layout you might also consider the Carthago liner for two and the Frankia Platin which are based on the same design

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
It is a lot of van in a smidge over 8 metres for sure, as you have proven you can get it right first time with a bit of homework, we are on our second van and it is exactly the same layout as the first one that we had for 8 years so yes it can be done.

You are right Concorde were not at Dusseldorf last year but they organised their own little open week along with their close neighbours PhoeniX.

One thing I wondered with the bed being up behind the widscreen was how hot would it get if the sun hit the screen first thing in the morning?
Hi Jon
It would be a lovely problem to have if the screen curtain / insulator didn’t work both ways . My wife also insists on windows/roof lights open no matter what the temp is outside . I would spec the larger roof light which would also assist with your what if sun query. My other reason for the Cincorde other than layout is the allowable payload in the 7450 gross weight ..

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
Another thing to consider is that there are no side windows in the sleeping area. Which might be an issue if you enjoy a cuppa in bed in the morning, watching the world go by.

If you like this layout you might also consider the Carthago liner for two and the Frankia Platin which are based on the same design
Hi Robert
I did look at the Carthago and thought the plus 2 may be ok but due to its smaller gross weight once fully spec is unfit for use due to lack of payload . Also I prefer rear wheel drive I have pulled enough front wheeled drive mh off rally fields to know their limitations ,
Paul

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Robert
I did look at the Carthago and thought the plus 2 may be ok but due to its smaller gross weight once fully spec is unfit for use due to lack of payload . Also I prefer rear wheel drive I have pulled enough front wheeled drive mh off rally fields to know their limitations ,
Paul
The Hi line is on a rear drive daily chassis but beware it is on the lighter chassis of the two which is not as good

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I think you ve got a good point there Martin, Air circulation could be a bit of an issue as the drop down bed will surely have curtains so even if you open the cab windows it will restrict flow.

Paul Paulpl have you tried sleeping in a drop down bed together? I've not slept in the concorde version but they can feel a little closed in for two. And have you considered how you will get around when you can't get to where you actually want to be? ( does happen - a lot in UK)

I do agree that the smaller package that you can get your requirements into the easier it is to get around but it can be annoying if you re missing something crucial for the want of an extra 500mm.

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
The Hi line is on a rear drive daily chassis but beware it is on the lighter chassis of the two which is not as good
Yes the Cathargo is on the 55c chasis
I would go for a Concorde with the Iveco 70c giving 7450 gross weight .

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Just to add my twopeneth, NFU Chichester are first class, you only find out how good they really are after you claim and having experience of an idiot reverse into the front of a Concorde Liner smashing the windscreen NFU were brilliant and it happened in Spain,you only get what you pay for. £250+ MH scratching around for cheap insurance is wasted energy.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes the Cathargo is on the 55c chasis
I would go for a Concorde with the Iveco 70c giving 7450 gross weight .
I seriously considered buying a used Charisma 2 years ago, went to Niesmann caravnaning to see and drive it , but my ( sorry our) taste is MAN Chassis, 2010 840L on a 250hp with 12 sp auto at Euros128K, they re about 100K on a daily chassis the previous model but I actually prefer the furnishing of the older one, too many open shelves and dark wood effect on the newer model for me.

If you re convinced about rear drive you might be as well considering Phoenix as well, they do a surprising amount of rear lounge Mh's but the other main one is Morelo, Martin funflair will know if they do a rear lounge?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I seriously considered buying a used Charisma 2 years ago, went to Niesmann caravnaning to see and drive it , but my ( sorry our) taste is MAN Chassis, 2010 840L on a 250hp with 12 sp auto at Euros128K, they re about 100K on a daily chassis the previous model but I actually prefer the furnishing of the older one, too many open shelves and dark wood effect on the newer model for me.

If you re convinced about rear drive you might be as well considering Phoenix as well, they do a surprising amount of rear lounge Mh's but the other main one is Morelo, Martin funflair will know if they do a rear lounge?
No rear lounge in a Morelo Jon so would end up as a traditional layout with bar or sofa up front and the shortest would be a French bed over the garage or a transverse bed again over garage but would have to be a Home or Loft as the shortest Palace is our 85L at 8.69m, I and glad I am not importing a Phoenix at the moment ;) could be a bit stressful me thinks, but yes they do quite a lot of the rear lounge models.

OP
OP
Paulpl
Apr 23, 2019
Menston nr Ilkley
Funster No
MH
Moving to a Concorde
Exp
I think you ve got a good point there Martin, Air circulation could be a bit of an issue as the drop down bed will surely have curtains so even if you open the cab windows it will restrict flow.

Paul Paulpl have you tried sleeping in a drop down bed together? I've not slept in the concorde version but they can feel a little closed in for two. And have you considered how you will get around when you can't get to where you actually want to be? ( does happen - a lot in UK)

I do agree that the smaller package that you can get your requirements into the easier it is to get around but it can be annoying if you re missing something crucial for the want of an extra 500mm.
Jon
The drop down bed is the width of the cabin with 2 singles 2000x830 plenty of space and more sleeping room than in our caravan. Above I would have the midi or panoramic Heki skylight I like the sun to wake me or the rain in the UK.
In the 90's we had a couple of US Coleman Folding hard top campers the last one being the only one outside the USA . They had 2 suspended 7ft by 6ft beds at either end with fabric tops and sides with curtains into the living area. The beds where sitting height at the lowest point ie by the window. We had no issues sleeping in that RV in the south of France or wind swept North Yorks moors, steady as a rock . The living space had a slideout 4 person dinette it was typical American pulled by a Discovery 2, as it needed a high nose weight and was on the heavier side . .

Re getting about it is a MH so we would use our legs, bike and even public transport at a push.
I won't tow a car

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I wouldn’t think so
Best to ask
Ive finally got around to asking NFU and after a little investigation, I don't have anything in writing but I believe these to be the facts;

The NFU cover Croatia and Morocco 3rd party only , this does not include windscreen cover, you will need a green card which apparently is free.

I see a change of insurance companies looming, shame really because the service is excellent and the price is not bad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back