Carthago vehicle battery charging issue (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My 2019 Carthago Compactline has an AES fridge and that connector is hanging free, not plugged in. Perhaps it needs plugging in if you don’t have an AES fridge? Anyway unplugging it cured the problem for Paul Frost .

OP
OP
Paul Frost
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 141
Exp
Had one 15 years ago, Globestar for last 3 years and now an A Class
Apologies for any confusion.
I do have an AES fridge. The way it was described to me by the dealer that made me think that I didn't and that's why it should be unplugged.. As suggested, it obviously means if you don't have an AES fridge you would plug that in.
Pausim, is there anything on that plug to indicate why it is just hanging free? It seems likely to cause confusion to someone trying to troubleshoot a problem like I was.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No, it just sits there looking like it should be plugged in. This is an older picture taken for another purpose but the plug is visible.

Attachments

• 1FAEEE7C-7127-4B87-9453-D2CFBFA3EB64.jpeg
    1FAEEE7C-7127-4B87-9453-D2CFBFA3EB64.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 82
May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
The Schault Booster WA121525 shown in post #29 obviously acts as a DC-DC (Battery to Battery charger) to overcome the limitations of the Euro 6 smart alternator. This should keep the hab batteries nicely topped-up whilst driving.

It's debatable whether this Booster also helps the starter battery to receive a supplementary charge. I guess it depends on how the Booster is wired into the system.
The DC/DC booster does not charge the engine battery as it is on another circuit system. I have been researching which manufacturers are not fitting this essential piece of kit and I cannot find any reference to it being fitted to Rapido and Dreamer.
There is a very informative video on youtube about the subject of cell batteries not being recharged due to smart alternators. I'll put a link to it if anybody is interested but it is in French so you'll have to switch on the subtitles which can be a bit vague sometimes.

Whocares

Free Member
Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago C i 143 LE
I was following this topic as I had a similar installation: Carthago C-Compactline i 143 LE (2021) with CBE DS300 distribution board, PC 180 panel, CB 516 charger, Schault Booster WA121525.

I have replaced original 80 Ah AGM leisure battery with 2 x 100 Ah LiFePO4 batteries and I was looking into splitting the batteries and charging, separating the lead acid and the lithium batteries.

Yesterday I have opened DS300 and on my version the interconnecting relay (no.1 in above photos) and resistor 37 (no. 2) are not there from factory. Upon measuring the voltages over B1 and B2 looks like the batteries are separated while the engine is running.

Initially the CB 516 charger was supplying directly to leisure batteries B2 and only 2A to starting battery B1 through a zenner diode.

I have moved CB 516 charger from B2 to B1 and set it up for lead acid battery and I have added a lithium charger Xentec LBC500S-15 set up for lithium battery over to B2. Now, when shore power is connected, I charge both starting battery and leisure batteries with their dedicated chargers.

Finally, I set up Schault Booster WA121525 for lithium battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Whocares

Free Member
Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago C i 143 LE
I was following this topic as I had a similar installation: Carthago C-Compactline i 143 LE (2021) with CBE DS300 distribution board, PC 180 panel, CB 516 charger, Schault Booster WA121525.

I have replaced original 80 Ah AGM leisure battery with 2 x 100 Ah LiFePO4 batteries and I was looking into splitting the batteries and charging, separating the lead acid and the lithium batteries.

Yesterday I have opened DS300 and on my version the interconnecting relay (no.1 in above photos) and resistor 37 (no. 2) are not there from factory. Upon measuring the voltages over B1 and B2 looks like the batteries are separated while the engine is running.

Initially the CB 516 charger was supplying directly to leisure batteries B2 and only 2A to starting battery B1 through a zenner diode.

I have moved CB 516 charger from B2 to B1 and set it up for lead acid battery and I have added a lithium charger Xentec LBC500S-15 set up for lithium battery over to B2. Now, when shore power is connected, I charge both starting battery and leisure batteries with their dedicated chargers.

Finally, I set up Schault Booster WA121525 for lithium battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back