Carthago Standard Batteries (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Hi - I am buying a new Carthago which has 2 x 80A Gel batteries as standard
I am thinking of getting a decent solar panel and controller fitted maybe 160W
my question is would you add another battery on top of the 2 x 80amp ones or just keep them as they are?

OP
OP
Sideshow Bob
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Thanks Steve - Out of interest what would you do with two brand new 80A ones?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I needed to replace the hab batteries in our Carthago, and was delighted to find (via the Carthago Owners FB group) that someone was replacing the gels in their new Liner for Two with lithiums! I think you’ll sell them no problem.

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Guess it would depend on how you intend to use the van most, off grid or on hook up.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I added an extra 80a/h gel to mine, identical to the 2 originals. Cost me £160. Changed the charge system to a Votronic triple charger and added 240watts of solar (cost quite a bit). Much as I’d like to upgrade to lithiums at some time, it’s a massive expense and I have never yet run out of power, or even come close to it, and weight isn’t a problem for me on a 5 ton tag axle.

Lithiums may be the way to go if you need to save weight but I’m guessing that’s not likely to be a problem on a C Line as they’re all at least 4250kg (I think)

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Sorry, also what you intend to run when off grid, you will probably be fine if low power need.

OP
OP
Sideshow Bob
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
I added an extra 80a/h gel to mine, identical to the 2 originals. Cost me £160. Changed the charge system to a Votronic triple charger and added 240watts of solar (cost quite a bit). Much as I’d like to upgrade to lithiums at some time, it’s a massive expense and I have never yet run out of power, or even come close to it, and weight isn’t a problem for me on a 5 ton tag axle.

Lithiums may be the way to go if you need to save weight but I’m guessing that’s not likely to be a problem on a C Line as they’re all at least 4250kg (I think)
Thank you - sounds a plan, I’ve updated to 4500kg so hopefully should be ok - did you fit this kit yourself or get somebody to do it?

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Take a look at this thread for details

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Sideshow Bob I have been using my van in the way you plan to use yours with a 140w SP and the original batteries fitted by Carthago for the last six years without issue.

OP
OP
Sideshow Bob
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
stevewagner Steve did you have to add / change much other kit as well?
Thanks Roger, that’s great to hear, I might just keep the 2 x 80A Gel batteries and get a 160W solar panel and split regulator to also charge the van and take it from there, if I have to change out the batteries in the future so be it :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have 2 x 80ah gels and 2 x 100w solar panels and never worry about running out and we only ever wild camp/use aires etc. Unless you are a very, very heavy user you should be fine with just the addition of a solar panel and MPPT controller - you can get the usual Victron and Votronic ones if you want but they are IMO expensive, we have one which was fitted by the dealer which although not as well known has performed faultlessly.

NDS Sun control regulator - ours is the older style but you can see them here:

Roadpro sell them but others will too:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hi Bob.
I think you'll get along fine with what's supplied. It's so difficult to say what you'll actually need as everyone's use varies so much.
I have survived with two 85Ah gels for six (less the Covid lock-down) years, without any solar, using a mix of sites with and without EHU.
Capacity drops with time and I now need to find EHU or move on after three days (especially in Winter).
Start with what you're given and see how you get on. I wouldn't bother with a third one (you might even need to get a bigger charger.
Lithium would save weight and space. If that's an option, that's the way I'd go on a new van.
PS: Carthago UK owners club may be another good source of Carthago-related information (if you use FB).

OP
OP
Sideshow Bob
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
We have 2 x 80ah gels and 2 x 100w solar panels and never worry about running out and we only ever wild camp/use aires etc. Unless you are a very, very heavy user you should be fine with just the addition of a solar panel and MPPT controller - you can get the usual Victron and Votronic ones if you want but they are IMO expensive, we have one which was fitted by the dealer which although not as well known has performed faultlessly.

Thanks Minxy
sounds perfect
think I will keep with the standard batteries sounds like it will be fine 👍

OP
OP
Sideshow Bob
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Hi Bob.
I think you'll get along fine with what's supplied. It's so difficult to say what you'll actually need as everyone's use varies so much.
I have survived with two 85Ah gels for six (less the Covid lock-down) years, without any solar, using a mix of sites with and without EHU.
Capacity drops with time and I now need to find EHU or move on after three days (especially in Winter).
Start with what you're given and see how you get on. I wouldn't bother with a third one (you might even need to get a bigger charger.
Lithium would save weight and space. If that's an option, that's the way I'd go on a new van.
PS: Carthago UK owners club may be another good source of Carthago-related information (if you use FB).
Thanks Two - brilliant advice which I will definitely take 👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You would like to think so, but with a near empty garage, no water, no wife or dog, or even full food or clothes I’m at 4240, but I run at 4500kg and allowing for a 5% overweight tolerance (is there such a thing) that’ll bump me up to 4700kg ish:whistle2:

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.

Hi Minxy Girl
Where does your extra battery go? I've just had someone look at ours and he says that he would have to create a new box for it and additional wiring, although "wiring for extra batteries" is shown as standard on Compactlines.
Also - what kind of inverter do you use and what can it be used for?
Thanks

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hi #Minxy Girl
Where does your extra battery go? I've just had someone look at ours and he says that he would have to create a new box for it and additional wiring, although "wiring for extra batteries" is shown as standard on Compactlines.
Thanks
Not all Compactlines are the same: They have moved things like gas bottles and battery storage around between years, but I'd expect there to be a "square-ish" space to accommodate two 85Ah batteries, side-by-side. As you say, two batteries are an option, so there should be enough space for two, unless one of them is unusually large. It's best to have two identical batteries, for balance.
You will need two short wires (same thickness as the existing ones) between the two batteries.
For inverter, size will depend on what you intend to power, but I would encourage you not to aim for high power consumption as I believe it will shorten the life of your batteries. Get a modest (150W) pure sine wave. I'd even question the need for an inverter at all...

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Not all Compactlines are the same: They have moved things like gas bottles and battery storage around between years, but I'd expect there to be a "square-ish" space to accommodate two 85Ah batteries, side-by-side. As you say, two batteries are an option, so there should be enough space for two, unless one of them is unusually large. It's best to have two identical batteries, for balance.
You will need two short wires (same thickness as the existing ones) between the two batteries.
For inverter, size will depend on what you intend to power, but I would encourage you not to aim for high power consumption as I believe it will shorten the life of your batteries. Get a modest (150W) pure sine wave. I'd even question the need for an inverter at all...
I'm going to have a look tomorrow but it is tricky to get at, looks like there is a metal plate with 4 screws that need removing. I might also ask Go European as they originally sold the van.
The inverter would mainly be for charging the battery for Julie's e bike.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Minxy Girl
Thanks
I think you've got a different model to us, in ours the batteries are in the large underfloor locker accessed via the hatch just inside the hab door - they put the 2nd batter next to the original battery and straighten the angled side panel so they are both behind it.

We just have a small inverter as we don't charge up high powered stuff, usually hubby's shaver etc, it's just a standard one, not a pure sin-wave

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm going to have a look tomorrow but it is tricky to get at, looks like there is a metal plate with 4 screws that need removing. I might also ask Go European as they originally sold the van.
The inverter would mainly be for charging the battery for Julie's e bike.
The metal plate and need to remove screws seems unlikely. I think your battery is covered by a loose white panel, under one of the lounge seats (if it's a new model). I'm sure that you can fit a second battery alongside the supplied one (which seems to be 80Ah these days).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back