Carrying spare gas bottle (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
So as I sit here quivering with excitement about our new motorhome, I am pondering the above. Our new van will have Truma 6D heating (Yay!!) but because of this, it only has space for 1x11kg gas bottle (boo!). I envisage this lasting us quite a while, especially in summer, but would still like to carry a spare for when we go on our extended, off-site jaunts.
What would the consensus be on carrying a smaller (say 6kg) bottle, securely lashed down, in the garage? Yay? Nay?
Thanks all!

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
So as I sit here quivering with excitement about our new motorhome, I am pondering the above. Our new van will have Truma 6D heating (Yay!!) but because of this, it only has space for 1x11kg gas bottle (boo!). I envisage this lasting us quite a while, especially in summer, but would still like to carry a spare for when we go on our extended, off-site jaunts.
What would the consensus be on carrying a smaller (say 6kg) bottle, securely lashed down, in the garage? Yay? Nay?
Thanks all!
Cant see it being a problem providing its secure , another option would be to fit a refillable 11kg such as Gaslow , Gasit or Alugas

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
A refillable system wouldn't solve the problem of being somewhere, maybe late at night, and running out of gas. I'd still need to pack the van up, go to a garage, re-fill, drive back and then finish cooking dinner!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I believe but happy to be proved wrong.... That any gas bottle has to be sealed away from the habitation area and a dedicated vented storage space.
Pvc's have a sealed cabinet.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I'm sure others will have their opinions, I'd quite happily carry a well secured, good condition cylinder in the garage.

Edit: to add, your insurance company may think differently.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
A refillable system wouldn't solve the problem of being somewhere, maybe late at night, and running out of gas. I'd still need to pack the van up, go to a garage, re-fill, drive back and then finish cooking dinner!
Just keep a check on the level gauge And top up before you go away so you have a full 11kg

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Another thought, buy a locker to fit in the garage and drill a dropout vent.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks all!
Hi.. congratulations on the new van..
I was faced with similar...
Having to carry a 2nd cylinder just defeats the whole purpose of them supplying one ..space and weight saving..
A refillable is the way to go.. either underslung tank or refillable single cylinder.. you would have to be pretty lax not to know when to top it up if you were away for an extended period..
Andy

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hi.. congratulations on the new van..
I was faced with similar...
Having to carry a 2nd cylinder just defeats the whole purpose of them supplying one ..space and weight saving..
A refillable is the way to go.. either underslung tank or refillable single cylinder.. you would have to be pretty lax not to know when to top it up if you were away for an extended period..
Andy
This morning, we took my elderly father in law to view the van (ours doesn't arrive for a few weeks). It's about an hour away in really heavy traffic. I got back to his house to drop him off, went to get my phone from my pocket and pulled out the keys to the dealers van. Don't underestimate my lax-ness!!!

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
A 6kg bottle lasts us about 50 nights with normal usage, so an 11kg bottle should be Good for at least 90 night's.

Weigh the full bottle, then periodically weigh it again to see how much you've used, if you've kept a note of how many nights away you've done then you should have a good idea when it will run out.

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
A 6kg bottle lasts us about 50 nights with normal usage, so an 11kg bottle should be Good for at least 90 night's.

Weigh the full bottle, then periodically weigh it again to see how much you've used, if you've kept a note of how many nights away you've done then you should have a good idea when it will run out.
Apparently I married a lizard as she insists that she is cold unless the plastic internals of the van are actually melting.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No

Are you permanently on EHU with electric heating?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My mate opened his garage here once & i noticed a 12,5kg cepsa, a 12,5kg repsol , an 18kg blue calor butane, & in the gas lockers he had a calor butane & another propane.
securely lashed down,
In the upright position only though.

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Moving away from my relationship/heating woes...would <Broken link removed> be sufficient? Gaslow aren't really available in Poland. AluGas (German system) is, but the bottle on this is even lighter and is basically the same cost.

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
My mate opened his garage here once & i noticed a 12,5kg cepsa, a 12,5kg repsol , an 18kg blue calor butane, & in the gas lockers he had a calor butane & another propane.

In the upright position only though.
Bet he had an explosive temper :ROFLMAO:

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

A 6kg bottle only lasts 4 or 5 nights if it's winter and below freezing !

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
A 6kg bottle only lasts 4 or 5 nights if it's winter and below freezing !
That's why I'm so incredibly happy my new van has a diesel Truma system fitted!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Moving away from my relationship/heating woes...would <Broken link removed> be sufficient? Gaslow aren't really available in Poland. AluGas (German system) is, but the bottle on this is even lighter and is basically the same cost.
There are a few members who have that type of cylinder

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It does solve the problem to some degree,as you can just top up the refillable as and when you come across a garage that sells lpg.no need to wait till its empty or exchange a part empty bottle for a full one.. (y)

Deleted User
Have a big underslung professionally fitted and free up your cupboard for additional storage.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
looks good to me.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That's why I'm so incredibly happy my new van has a diesel Truma system fitted!
So why worry about gas? If heating is done by diesel, hot water and cooking by lpg will last quite long. We use about 10l per month for cooking and hot water in summer months. Fridge/freezer is compressor. Heating by diesel.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The point with refillable bottles is that you can arrange to refill before every trip and set out with a known amount of gas. Running out should not be a surprise.
An Alugas cylinder would save you weight, but a SafeFill would also allow you to connect conventional cylinders in an emergency.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back