Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One other thing, if you leave your bikes outside check what you have to securely lock them to ... some insurers don't cover them if it's attached to your MH!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Compromise is definitely needed I have a bike carrier fitted on my MH but certainly would not put my new bike on it, and it only cost £500 which is nothing in the bike world. Any bike thieves eyes will light up if they see expensive bikes fitted to MH and I certainly dont want that attention, so either its a garage or a cheap bike on the back, ( one you want miss if stolen ) in my opinion. Off subject you are paying for lightness as in materials used ie carbon fibre , different grades of steel etc , so unless you want to spend £1000s on carbon fibre bikes to save drastic weight there are cheaper lightweight bikes out there.
We have been carrying our two bikes on a rear bike carrier without any hesitation but would recommend you use a good bike cover which keeps them out of site - not a PVC one and we used 2 x good D locks that secured the bikes to each other as well as the rack. Now have a garage with the bikes inside on a Fiamma bike rail but I still believe on a rack on the back is the better option or a tow bar fitted option but haven't tried that. When they are not on the racks we always cover them and use the D locks plus I used a long plastic coved gismo that threaded through the motorhome wheel and through the bikes. If you have the Growler system there is an external connection point that if the link is broken it sets off the alarm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
No way would I want to carry bikes inside the MH - no matter how careful you are something on the bike is going to get damaged trying to manoeuvre it around or you'll take a chip out of the MH woodwork. Probably both actually.

Our ebikes go on the rack on the back. They're covered by a good thick cover so its not immediately obvious that they're expensive ebikes and we used an alarmed cable lock that is light enough to leave one whilst travelling. When we're parked we add a couple of sold secure gold locks and when we're on site they're either locked to the rack or to each other and something on site. We also carry a motorbike chain which is sometimes easier to use when on site.

Does it concern me that we have expensive bikes that could be stolen no matter how difficult we try to make it? Yes of course it does, but that's what insurance is for. I'd love a MH with a garage but I also really like having a proper lounge where we can both stretch out and relax (and we can't afford a MH that has both). As has been said....its all about compromise and working out what is most important to you.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
We have looked for really strong locks for when we want to leave the bikes whilst shopping. Have resorted to using two different sorts of locks and locking bikes together around an immovable object. Unfortunately the really good motorbike locks. Are very very heavy and weight is always the foremost thought with M H. As said before layout is the most important thing but because we wanted a garage we chose single beds over the garage which have ratchet heads so we can recline in comfort and watch tv or read and, of course, still have a great dining area..

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
When we had a van with a French bed layout we sometimes dismantled the bikes and put them under the bed. This is only OK for travelling long distances and not wanting to ride them every day. Once they were put together and being used regularly we would use a bike rack on the back.

If you're adept at assembling/disassembling bikes it is doable to carry them under the bed. It's It's mainly wheels and pedals off and turn the bars.

munkey_bwy

Free Member
May 17, 2018
Holbeach
Funster No
MH
Rapid 690 low profile
Exp
Since 2007
We have a small height garage / locker that can take two bike without front wheels laid flat plus spares and other items, the low height garage gives plenty of headroom on the fixed bed so you can sit fully upright on the bed. People wouldn't assume that there would be bikes in the locker but only the usual bar-b-q & chairs, ramps etc. we don't have any stickers or indications showing that we are bike fans etc

I would put bikes inside, i've done it for ease & laziness at races and you will get some damage.

Have a look at the Rapido 690

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I carry my Ebike in my motorhome. I do have a garage but the motorbike is in there. I use two wheel stands. Obviously one under each wheel facing each other. The ones I use are off eBay at £13 each. The bike is rock solid and never moves at all. £52 and you’re sorted. The eBay number is 202591694442

Deleted User
Similar to another poster, I have the bikes on a rack but the rack winds up to near the top of the motorhome. It has a motorcycle chain and I have a cover over it. I also have a growler alarm but the chain and the cover is what makes me not worry about it and my bikes are both carbon race bikes. I generally wild camp or on Aires.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I carry my Ebike in my motorhome. I do have a garage but the motorbike is in there. I use two wheel stands. Obviously one under each wheel facing each other. The ones I use are off eBay at £13 each. The bike is rock solid and never moves at all. £52 and you’re sorted. The eBay number is 202591694442

Do you think that these would be suitable for use in the garage? Our e-bikes are getting a bit scratched. Only a cosmetic issue, I know, but I'd prefer them not be scratched. :)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Do you think that these would be suitable for use in the garage? Our e-bikes are getting a bit scratched. Only a cosmetic issue, I know, but I'd prefer them not be scratched. :)
Yep, my mate has his mountain bike in his Autotrail garage in one of the stands. Works great for him.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This is how we solved our growing bike carrying issue:

IMG_1409.jpg

First trial outing was at Easter and it worked a treat, loads more carrying space and easy access to 6 bikes finally.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
We're in the process of solving this exact issue, having decided to go down the PVC route
My preference is a Towbar-mounted Thule bike rack that hinges out of the way to allow the rear doors of the PVC to open, without having to remove the bikes off the rack, as I already have the same kit on my car, and dont fancy hanging a bike rack off the rear doors

I don't plan to put my very best bikes on the back, but will use a good cover, strong D locks, and an alarm. I'd be very surprised if thieves would want the bikes that badly, and if we're out for the day, the bikes can always be stored in the van garage whilst we're out - there are so many others, much more easy to steal.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
You could put your bike in a "flight" box and stand the box inside or lay it on a bed.
But personal I keep mine on a rear carrier.
Phil

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My preference is a Towbar-mounted Thule bike rack that hinges out of the way to allow the rear doors of the PVC to open, without having to remove the bikes off the rack, as I already have the same kit on my car, and dont fancy hanging a bike rack off the rear doors
If you mean the one that slides backwards then AFAIK whilst doing this will allow the doors to be opened, they can't do so fully, so make sure you are happy with it before splashing the cash on it - there was at least one thread on here previously about these types of racks.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Thanks @Minxy Girl (y) I will check - already own the bike rack so will check whether that works and then adapt if its not a go'er :)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Bikes out.jpg

In our previous PVC I built a slide out rack, using some industrial slides and fork holders. The seats needed dropping and front wheel removing but I could get two bikes in a small space. Once on site we'd assemble and keep them secured with a good lock (cost more than some on here would spend on a bike) secured to the front towing hook. As it happens I've got the parts for sale on here!

One of the key requirements of the new Van was a garage we could store the bikes fully assembled on site. We added Thule Veloslide which is great.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have one of the few vans that allow us to store two folding electric bikes under the French bed. 20 inch wheels so not ideal but it works for us. Ideally we would like full size bikes but like a lot of motorhoming it is a compromise we are willing to accept. Other views will, of course, differ. We use a chain and a D lock to secure. We have them insured under house insurance but needed to be careful of the terms.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
When we had a Caravan and 3 kids, we had 2/3 bikes on a rack on the back of the Volvo and 2/3 more inside the Caravan. But that meant restricted access to the tailgate and no access in the Caravan, so really not convenient. With our 7.5m Moho the boot is big enough for a couple of bikes ( or the electric tricycle) but we also have a tow bar mounted bike rack. I like the idea of the bike trailer, but we are seriously considering putting a tow bar on the Toad (Fiat 500), so that we also have the option of putting the tow bar mounted bike rack on that. This would mean we could leave the Moho on site and take bikes or trike to a different starting point. As the OP has declined garage/bike rack/ towing, that only really leaves a roof rack with a fixed ladder! If you do go for inside, remember that they must be securely lashed down so they don’t fly forward and hit you if you have to stop quick.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back