LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not sure how getting your carpets covered in mud can be described as "enjoying" them?
I suppose we all have different standards as to how we look after our huge investment and looking at the huge number of threads in the MH care section I don't think I'm in the minority. We have a grass pitch and a dog so just trying to prevent our carpets looking like a farm yard over winter. Is that so strange.?
Sounds like it would be cheaper to get rid of the dog!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We can't talk though!
1573121432962.png

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you really like the original protection, can't your dealer let you have some cut from his roll?

Great idea and they would do it for me but they're nearly 2 hrs away!

THE VERY THOUGHT!! - but this has been considered!! Only joking:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
For our old van we went to CarpetRight and bought an end of roll off cut bargain big enough to cover the entire floor. Used the original carpets as a template, an hour with a Stanley Knife - job done. Nice to have carpet under foot, but not have to worry about completely trashing the (expensive to replace) original items. Cost about £25!

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Some relatives of ours used some sticky film for their house carpets while decorating but didn't know it was not supposed to be used on carpets with wool and it altered the colour and they ended up claiming for them on house insurance as they couldn't clean it off at all but i guess moho carpets are synthetic?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks for all your ideas / contributions. Load of options I hadn't considered there. We like the carpets and want to be able to see / use them and the previous film that was originally on was perfect. It lay really flat, didn't gather or crinkle (?) when walked on and you couldn't really tell it was on so we'll try the roll and stroll option. Cheers(y)
No idea if it still even available, but we used to use a product called ScotchGuard on any new carpets we had fitted
Basically it coats the carpet in a substance that is super easy to clean but cannot be seen or detected. ( In fact some carpets were actually sold as being ScotchGuarded )
The coating needs to be redone about once every year or so when used indoors, so about every 5 years in a motorhome environment

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
So, after extensive research (confirmed by a visit to my local stockist) it appears that Roll and Stroll produce two products. One for laminate / wood flooring which is tough clear plastic but their product for carpet is bright yellow - so it's back to the drawing board. You can't use the clear plastic version designed for laminates as the adhesive stains carpet so it's back to the drawing board. I like a challenge.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We also use rubber backed carpet carpet runners that we bought of the carpet lady that sells them at The Warners Motorhome shows. We bought 2 striped lengths,600x 2000MM one does the front, the other the back of the MH, they can be easily cut with Stanley Knife or even scissors (haven't cut ours in as yet). They are very modern, lovely and soft under foot,loads of colour options to chose from, think they cost me £28 for the two. Light weight, so easy to lift in and out to give them a good shake.

The new carpets that came with the van are still in their boxes, and will stay there, as there are many separate bits all cut to size like a jigsaw puzzle. They are a horrible corded dark brown and very stiff, despite being a premium brand MH.
To gain access to the underfloor lockers would be a pain if I had to lift and remove fully fitted carpets each time

We go on a lot of muddy rally fields, and the amount of grass/mud that gets brought in as you sit inside and remove shoes/boots is amazing at times. When we get home, I remove the carpets, hoover them and wash the laminate floor inside the MH.
The carpet runners are fully machine washable, but we haven't had to do that yet

We also have a large rubber door mat that sits inside the hab door when travelling, but gets put outside when we park up, this is a godsend to wipe boots on, and can be washed under the tap on site if required.
PS:
I always wondered where the travellers got their thick Taylor made plastic seat covers from in their caravans, as I have seen them many times on TV using them. One of my great aunts to to have all her settees covered in plastic to protect them from us kids, felt strange to sit on though.
Les

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Why not just enjoy the carpet.
You bought the MH presumably to enjoy your time in it, not to wrap it in cotton wool for the next owner.

I would highly recommend this advise, the carpets are pretty robust and the the carpet cleaning products at about £6.99 in all good Supermarkets:giggle: are really good,it’s takes an hour to pull them up,place outside,clean and replace providing it’s a warm day.

Your can replace the carpet for a few £Pounds anywhere, cut them out of the one piece you buy and find a Binder the cost will be about £10.00 for a few pieces. Google Binders.

Use and enjoy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back