Carnet for motorbikes and scooters. (1 Viewer)

Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
I am not sure if this is fact, maybe someone else knows more. I just read in one of my motorcycle mags that if you are carrying a motorcycle/scooter in your motorhome garage/rack or trailer into the EU, you will require a 12 month carnet at £250 - £300. Not sure if this would also apply to e-bikes.
Has anyone else heard of this?

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Before-we joined the EU I used to have to get a carnet for my racing car!It had to be stamped in and out every country and was a pain if we were racing in Germany !It was to ensure you didn’t export the vehicle without paying the appropriate tax.Cant think it will apply now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
It was the same for me as a musician for musical instruments pre EU - apparently this has returned for all instruments not being carried personally or as luggage.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
As already posted, it does not apply to road legal motorcycles
You will, obviously, need to carry your documentation with you (no change there) but I don't see it as a problem

I saw a bit of scaremongering in Motor Cycle News inferring that you may have difficulty at the port convincing a customs official that it's a road bike - in my opinion a typical MCN comment worthy of Facebook or fake news

But if you are taking competition motorcycles abroad, you will need a carnet - the Auto Cycle Union (ACU) has negotiated a discounted rate for members

I am not sure what the score is if you are shipping your motorcycle out via a courier/shipping agent - but you probably will need a carnet

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Reminds me of the seventies when we were moto cross racing in Europe we used to have a Carnet system then, I remember once coming back into Southampton and having the customs checking our van, two CCM bikes which we had the relevant papers for but had forgotten about a spare motor. As we had a trophy with us and proof of winnings and start money the customs officer was happy to let us go with a reminder.
Another example of how things were in those days, Harold Wilson’s labour government had put a limit on how much cash one could take out of the country, we were sailing fro Weymouth to Cherbourg and waiting in the queue waiting to board when a customs officer tapped on the window of our van, asked us how much cash had we had, knowing that I had over the £25 limit I gingerly pulled a few notes at a time out of a pocket, “ come on “ he said “ empty “. I had about £100, “ right “ says the officer “ take the excess over to the AA office and they will put it in their safe until you get back “Over to the office and the guy there said “ just stick it in your sock, you’ll be ok “ no, please up it in the safe and give me a receipt, back to the van as they were starting to load and we did’nt see the customs guy again ! On return the AA guy had a good laugh, “ believe me the next time, did you win ? No third , 2500frs.
On that occasion we were racing at St Jean d’Angelly, good job the fuel tank was full, enough to get there and we were then dependant on the start money to get back.

However, no one in France, Belgium or the Netherlands wanted to nick our grub, so that was one benefit we had in those days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back