Carlisle, Dumfries, Or Newton Stewart ? (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Heading up from North West England, we're ultimately bound for Brighouse Bay near Kirkcudbright, but we need a stop-over first, we have a choice of Carlisle, Dumfries, or (at a push) Newton Stewart, which of these places would you recommend (or indeed not recommend) for a 24 hour stop-over. Typically and perhaps obviously I like an interesting town or city, with enough interesting stuff to see, and some good eating and drinking places, would be interested to hear your thoughts.

P.S - please excuse my ignorance, looking online can be tricky, it's common to find hundreds of photos of the same famous parts of a town or city, and yet it's still hard to get an overview. If I have to guess what you'd recommend, I'm perhaps guessing you'll say Newton Steward first, Dumfries second, and Carlisle in last place

P.S2..... if I'm missing a real gem close by, please make a suggestion, would like a reasonable sized town/city if possible

Thanks for you time :)

Paul

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I come from Carlisle so know there is a lot to see, the cathedral and castle in particular and the museum for Roman stuff but Dumfries is worth a visit too. I suggest you visit both and spend an afternoon in Newton Stewart as well, it's a tiny place so doesn't take long. :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Excuse my bluntness but isn’t this the same question, very slightly modified, that you asked last week and got a good few replies? o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Knowing my memory, it probably is, shall I ask it again next week ?

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for the replies :)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Paul the whole of the Dumfries and Galloway is more than worth investigating, have your own touring holiday rather than someone else's

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you're staying at Brighouse Bay, Newton Stewart, Castle Douglas and Dumfries are all easily done as daytrips as they're only 30 or 40 minutes from your destination, even in a motorhome, I personally can't see the point of looking for a stopover that's within spitting distance of my destination ?
Where are you setting off from ? Somewhere on the edge of the Lakes might be worth considering ? Couple of sites at Pooley Bridge, probably less than 6 miles from Jct 40 of the M6 and travelling on "A" roads, there are pubs, cafés, restaurants, some easy walks and you can catch the Ullswater Steamer from there for a tour of the lake.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Nice little site at Rockciffe overlooking the sea about 8 miles from Dumfries.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back