Caravan owners considering a Motorhome (1 Viewer)

mike.lamb

Free Member
May 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668 (2017)
Exp
Hi Everyone!

Newbie to this forum and newbie to possible motorhome ownership. We’re a family of 4 (2 kids aged 3&5) and live in South Wales.

We’ve been caravan owners since the kids were babies - a twin axle Sterling Contential 630, which we tow with an X5. We love going away in the caravan, but typically go for longer trips - south of France, Cornwall, Lake District etc. We’re normally away for at least a week and have a large awning setup. This suits us really well to have a proper base for the kids to play and the car for easy day trips, shopping, etc. We’re having some excellent holidays, the kids love it and we’re extremely happy with the purchase / setup.

Now.. the things i’d like to do more of now we’re used to the caravan are shorter weekend trips to visit various castles / beaches, etc / overnights / parking up at a spot with a great view and cooking some food / heading out to explore on the bikes / visiting family, etc. None of this is really practical with the caravan - at 13M long (including the car) there are very few practical places we can stop other than home, the services, or the campsite we’re visiting.

So, while it might seem a little extravagant, I’m considering getting a motorhome as well as the caravan. We’ll keep using the caravan for those longer trips where it’s useful to have much more space and the car, and we’d use the motorhome for more frequent, shorter trips.

I’m looking for something smaller to maximise the places we can take it, while being large enough that we can all sleep comfortably in it (we get little sleep as it is with the kids!) - i’m considering a Class A motorhome around 6m, with a double bed at the back and a drop down bed over the front seats.

I’ve been mostly looking at the Hymer and Rapido, but I’m not seeing much available in the used market closer to 6m - many more options closer to 7m. I'm probably looking for something a couple of years old in the £60-£70k region.

This is something we’d likely keep for a long time, so i’m more focussed on getting the right layout / size than just the price - hence looking at the A Class, the front area seems much more practical with 4 of us in there.

I have lots of questions, would really appreciate advice from experienced motorhome owners :)

- Any particular make/model recommendations in this category or things we should be considering?

- Hymer don’t seem to have any current models at 6m with a double in the back, is it impractical to get that setup in this size?

- Do you think i’m going to find much practical difference between a 6m / 6.5m / 7m when it comes to parking / places i’m able to take this motorhome?

- Any experiences with these above cabin beds - practical for adults or best left for the kids? (in the caravan we often sleep with one kid each between the beds)

- In planning the finances, i’ve considered depreciation, servicing / MOT, insurance, road tax, storage, cost of capital. Anything i’m missing? Anyone have more experience of the depreciation of a motorhome like this? From what I’m seeing from the used market, the rate of depreciation is much lower than i’m seeing for cars and caravans.

Open to any and all suggestions and really appreciate any advice. I'm excited about exploring our surrounding more with the kids and I think the right setup could make all kinds of adventures a possibility.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
60-70k is a massive budget for a first Motorhome. The idea is sound but if you're used to putting the awning up them you do the same with motorhomefun. One downside though is that you cant just jump in the car and drive somewhere UNLESS you tow a small car behind on your 'big' trips?
Do lots of research into different types and layouts. Most people would say the most important consideration is layout, closely followed by layout and then layout!! With two kids who will get bigger then something over 3.5 tonnes might be a better option due to payload if you have c1 on your license. If you don't then it is possible to take an additional test.

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
To me an a class just for day trips and weekends sounds ok but in practice probably not the best choice
Maybe a decent pvc which could also drag your caravan abroad so best of both worlds, might be a squeeze sleeping for 4 but how long will you actually be in it during the weekend
Drive away awning can be used on a site

Having the same room in your weekend motorhome as your long holiday caravan sounds ideal but I doubt you would be near the van most of the weekend

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think you will find that for the sort of places you intend to visit that there is not much difference between an 'A' Class at 6m and 7m, and the latter will probably give you more living space for the 4 of you, because remember the beds, shower/toilet, kitchen take up the same space in both and what is left is the living space. Also in a 7m you could have the option of a garage, which might be useful for bikes and other kids' stuff etc.

Your budget certainly more than allows for a 7m(at least secondhand) - go for it.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If it’s 6 m or over not going to fit in a standard car space and any length A class will not go in Uk car parks with height barriers ( often seen in popular locations) so other variables like sleeping arrangement are more important and then you just have to be selective about places to stop.

Upvote 0

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
a suggestion....obviously a Carthago Compactline i138 like ours!
6.4m x 2.12m so almost PVC footprint but much larger inside, two fullsize beds, proper heating, washroom, shower, large ebike/scooter garage, double floor, can run at any weight, 3500, 3650, 3850, 4250kg...used from £50k ish.

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Buy the A class, sell the caravan and use that money towards a small car with A frame or if your going to use it abroad a car transporter/trailer.

That way smaller insurance outlay, go anywhere and if you keep under 6mtrs you’ll have no issues parking.

Park the MoHo up and use the smaller car for trips and only one large item to store.

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Based on the size of your van you've got c1 licences already so 3500 isn't an issue.

As an ex folding campers who sat looking in the rain in Cannock Chase thinking about another wet pack watched a caravaner, drop ththe owning fold it up and throw it inside. Thought we should get a caravan.

Many years later saw motorhomes about and thought might be good fed up of driving a tow car day in day out. so Mortorhome.

It's a different life.. BEAWARE if you want to travel about then depending on the motorhome you decide on, that's not easy. A Tandem axle 8.5m van needs a little more room than a PVC. what I'm coming too is unless you have a Toad or scooter (ebikes are good) then it's not as easy to pop to places as when you had a tugger to roam about in.

We found a week here and there in a caravan were replaced with 3 night stops, You arrive sus out the place go east next day, west day after, move to next camp site. can always go back and go north & south or ???

Big difference is your book in at site maybe empty out and fill up with water. Pitch, done.

Good luck and happy days.

Forgot to add if your thinking of a toad don't see why bother getting a motorhome unless the toad is your only other vehicle. Admit had a scooter on the Kon-tiki but was only for shopping and access to impossible places for the cars & MH.

late addition, now prefer Ebike tours from MH base. Better all round

Last edited:
Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We've found you don't need a car abroad, or some of the places we go to in the UK. Occasionally, if we really want a car we take the motorhome and drive the car there as well. It works for us.

Upvote 0

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
on the Continent, car hire can be really cheap, if you really need a car.
we have ebikes and its generally more fun, better for you and the environment...also no hassle with parking, four panniers cope with shopping etc, etc..
get out there, you know you want to...

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
further to my previous answer, i am sure you have worked out the pros and cons of switching, so it really does come down to how you want to use it, that will determine what sort of size you should be looking at. how will the kids go to bed at night, do you need to use your lounge area when they go to bed? would a van with rear bunks work and electric drop down bed in the front or middle, that you can drop down when youre ready to tuck yourselves in for the night? we are not keen on having to make beds up or climb up ladders to get in, so a fixed bed for us was the priority along with a large fridge/freezer and full size cooker, kitchen workspace and worktops, a decent sized shower cubicle was also important.

you need to consider those things because most other stuff can be added, solar, sat dish, bike rack, tow bar, awnings, external gas/electric points, refillable lpg etc. so the layout of the 'fixed' stuff is really important.

and you wont have to pay site fees in France and get to visit lots of different places - unless you choose to stay on campsites of course !

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Are you near 3As?

Closed at present but have a large range of previously loved vans. It used to be that they were all left unlocked.

So it was easy to move from van to van, sit and consider how the layout might suit your needs.

For me, layout and how it fits around my needs is the greatest consideration.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mike.lamb

Free Member
May 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668 (2017)
Exp
60-70k is a massive budget for a first Motorhome. The idea is sound but if you're used to putting the awning up them you do the same with motorhomefun. One downside though is that you cant just jump in the car and drive somewhere UNLESS you tow a small car behind on your 'big' trips?
Do lots of research into different types and layouts. Most people would say the most important consideration is layout, closely followed by layout and then layout!! With two kids who will get bigger then something over 3.5 tonnes might be a better option due to payload if you have c1 on your license. If you don't then it is possible to take an additional test.

Thanks, I don't have C1 on my license but looking at something like the HYMER Exsis-i 588, I'd have 660kg of payload. I'm assuming that the big elements I don't need to think of with the caravan but do with the motorhome are passengers, water, fuel? Need to research more here, can imagine that quickly running out. I think i'd want to plan for expansion there - are motorhomes often plated at 3,500 so they can be driven on a regular license but able to carry more? Wondering if it's possible to get many of these replated if it took the C1 test.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mike.lamb

Free Member
May 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668 (2017)
Exp
Are you near 3As?

Closed at present but have a large range of previously loved vans. It used to be that they were all left unlocked.

So it was easy to move from van to van, sit and consider how the layout might suit your needs.

For me, layout and how it fits around my needs is the greatest consideration.

Not particularly - about 90mins away so doable if they had something of particular interest!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mike.lamb

Free Member
May 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668 (2017)
Exp
To me an a class just for day trips and weekends sounds ok but in practice probably not the best choice
Maybe a decent pvc which could also drag your caravan abroad so best of both worlds, might be a squeeze sleeping for 4 but how long will you actually be in it during the weekend
Drive away awning can be used on a site

Having the same room in your weekend motorhome as your long holiday caravan sounds ideal but I doubt you would be near the van most of the weekend

Thanks - I floated the pvc a few times after going to some shows, haven't got the family on board with that one!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mike.lamb

Free Member
May 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668 (2017)
Exp
I think you will find that for the sort of places you intend to visit that there is not much difference between an 'A' Class at 6m and 7m, and the latter will probably give you more living space for the 4 of you, because remember the beds, shower/toilet, kitchen take up the same space in both and what is left is the living space. Also in a 7m you could have the option of a garage, which might be useful for bikes and other kids' stuff etc.

Your budget certainly more than allows for a 7m(at least secondhand) - go for it.

Geoff

Thanks! Seeing many more available when expanding to 7m...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mike.lamb

Free Member
May 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668 (2017)
Exp
If it’s 6 m or over not going to fit in a standard car space and any length A class will not go in Uk car parks with height barriers ( often seen in popular locations) so other variables like sleeping arrangement are more important and then you just have to be selective about places to stop.

Thanks - yeah good point that we're going to be hunting for parking regardless. Assume with either 6m or 7m we'll be looking for a double space and no height barrier..

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks - yeah good point that we're going to be hunting for parking regardless. Assume with either 6m or 7m we'll be looking for a double space and no height barrier..
With little ones, they are never happier than let loose to run around a field or campsite, so I can imagine you using the MH and staying on sites large and small of which we have lots in the UK, ideal for a night or two and easier than setting up the caravan. It would be easy to stop for shopping on the way. Usually possible to park up in bigger attractions like adventure parks and so on. Just avoid places with pay and display car parks all marked out in small bays, which lets face it are often too small for our SUV.
I use google earth street view a lot and, if going to a particular attraction, just phone in advance and ask about parking.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks, I don't have C1 on my license

Eh? You're already illegal towing the caravan combination you've got! X5 kerb weight, at least 2100kg (up to 2500kg, caravan is 1900kg! Maximum you can tow is 3500kg for car and caravan, that's maximum weight, plus maximum load. Your setup is over 4000kg.

If your licence doesn't cover towing that weight, then you're not insured either.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We changed from caravan to mh when our daughter was about 12 so about 10 years ago, I think you’ll find mainland Europe is far more equipped for the MH. If going to South of France we’d do the drive down in one go stay for a week then slowly saunter back up stopping were ever we fancy, the kids will love it as it feels like 4 or 5 different holidays.
My suggestion would be hire a mh for the weekend and see how you get on, bearing in mind most hire ones are entry level so might be worth paying extra to get the quality your money can buy.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Thanks, I don't have C1 on my license but looking at something like the HYMER Exsis-i 588, I'd have 660kg of payload. I'm assuming that the big elements I don't need to think of with the caravan but do with the motorhome are passengers, water, fuel? Need to research more here, can imagine that quickly running out. I think i'd want to plan for expansion there - are motorhomes often plated at 3,500 so they can be driven on a regular license but able to carry more? Wondering if it's possible to get many of these replated if it took the C1 test.
German vans are never sold in basic spec they always have several extras packs on them to bring then up to a good level of spec. The MIRO is always givin on a basic van. This can loose 150 to 200 kg off the payload. With 2 growing kids you will need a lot more payload on a German van I reckon for 2 people 700 kg minium our current van has over 1350kg payload.

Nearly all 3500 kg vans can be upgraded to 3850kg. With 3500kg van the rear axle loading is normally 2000 kg when upgrading to 3850 often find you don't gain much due to rear axle loading. This can be increased to 2240 kg often requires new tyres and air assistance on the rear suspension.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Reading these comments it's really interesting how different we all are which is great.
Hands up we only used a caravan when our kids were young and then very rarely. Now very, very occasionally take 2 grandkids at a time.
Payload as Lenny says is important and 3500 isn't enough with the kids growing up. We personally would not restrict ourselves by buying a smaller vehicle for a family of 4, an A class would give you good internal circulation space and think about having a good size garage for the kit - bikes, bbq, sunbeds etc. although bikes can go on a rack at the back. We had a Hymer 6.5m with a fold down bed over the cab, worked fine for 2 but would think you might look at say 7.4m ish. with a drop down bed over the cab again plus a fixed bed. When you drive the length is very rarely an issue, a 8m 2.3 wide unit will be far easier than your car/caravan combination. Towing with an A frame is illegal in France so quite restrictive (we used to tow a car on one which was brilliant). I personally would not bother with a trailer as they are cumbersome and we have seen many a frustrated people struggling fitting everything on the pitch although some have separate parking areas. However really useful for those migrating to 'Costa' something for the winter where you park up for a month or several. We use electric bikes to get around which is more difficult for you but hiring a car is easy for longer day trips. Also review your differentiation between the caravan/motorhome. With a canopy (5m) we have loads of space and easy to use, used to have a fully enclosed option which we only used twice as it was really heavy and time consuming but is an option for the occasion when it rains in Wales! I think the money will give you a good unit. Blimey that was a bit of a diatribe, good luck and enjoy, a really exciting time for you.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Not particularly - about 90mins away so doable if they had something of particular interest!

Sorry, my only reason for suggesting 3As is that they usually have a large and varied stock and you can assess the suitability of different vans and layouts, for your needs.

You may not find what you want, but you will surely eliminate a lot of makes and designs from your maybe list.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hiring is always a good option for tying things out. We hired a couple of times before we changed to a Motorhome. Although we couldn't hire exactly what we wanted to try out we did find what we couldn't live with.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I think the OP is on their last 'free' message. My additional advice would be to join this forum..

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Now that we know you do not have the C1 licence and taking into account LennyHB's pst(No. 23) about many MHs do not come on the market with basic weights, then I consider a re-think is needed.

You have a growing family of 4 and the kids' 'toys' will get heavier as they change bikes etc.

You also want good quality, which means heavier construction which won't break easily.

I think the posts so far are tending to illustrate that you cannot realistically achieve those goals at :h:500kg.

As for planning for expansion, I think that is a good idea, both for weight to be carried and what you might want to do with the MH in future. For example, it is possible that as time goes on you may prefer the MH to the caravan and want to make that your main holiday choice. For longer trips I am sure that 3500kg would not satisfy your needs.

You are contemplating doing the C1 test. A good idea, as it would solve all the compromises you are faced with. The course is about £1200 or £1500 with a guaranteed pass however much longer that takes. Those figures are small compared to your budget. I think you should do it soonest, as then you can look at MHs that are 'prohibited' at the moment.

As for up-rating, as already been said, most van chassis are designed for 3850kg. We did that paper excercise up-rating on our Niesmann Arto, and with just 2 of us we have 50-100kg to spare when fully loaded. Now with 'Maxi' and Alko chassis it is common to go to 4250kg or even 4500kg with some modifications. If you find what you want that is at one of the higher weights it can be down-plated to 3500kg, providing the empty weight allows it and for short trips you can load lightly, e.g. no or minimal water and diesel. This until you have C1 and replating to what it was should be easy.

I still think getting the C1 first would make decisions easier.

Good Luck.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mike.lamb

Free Member
May 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668 (2017)
Exp
Thanks all for the feedback, hugely appreciated. I was locked out of sending messages when replying last night, so thanks @MisterB for pointing out that I needed to subscribe.

@thebriars Regarding driving license for my current setup. I did pass my test after 1997, hence no C1 but before buying the caravan, i did my B+E test to cover for towing a twin axle.

It sounds very much like going down the path of getting the C1 is going to be key here for our setup.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back