Caravan awning? (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Would a caravan awning fit on an motor home (A class) as long as the awning attachment was the right height. Can any one think of any problems. Seen one we like. But its advertiser as a caravan awning

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I used to use a porch type on my Autotrail. Only issue I had was that a caravan one is designed for a lower height. It fitted but was stretched down at ground level for pegging in. Bought more for cost at the time and we later upgraded to a proper motorhome version later.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
If you put a link up, we may be more about to help.
We use a full size caravan awning when in Spain for the winter, but we have a full caravan awning rail fitted.
Cheers
Ed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2020
Wolverhampton
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6
Exp
I'm a newbie
If the awning only has the top beading on the roof section (Porch Awning?), as opposed to a full caravan awning with the beading going all around the outside of the van, then as long as its the correct height I am sure it would work fine, I have an awning rail attached to my garden fence from my caravanning days which I would attach the porch awning to if it was put away wet, to dry it out.
I had thought it would fit the Fiamma channel on the Motorhome if needed as you suggest, but you would have to completely dismantle it if you want to move the vehicle as the van provides the structure.
For this reason I have bought a proper drive away awning which keeps it's own structure without being attached to the van.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Obviously you can't be certain if it will fit well (or at all) until you've bought it.
Caravan awnings are made to fit (a range of) specific models and are stated as such so no there's doubt about compatibility.
I go out in my m/h every day or move on after a couple of days at most so no good for me.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Would a caravan awning fit on an motor home (A class) as long as the awning attachment was the right height. Can any one think of any problems. Seen one we like. But its advertiser as a caravan awning

They're just a faff to put on and take down. Which suits caravans that sit around for 2 weeks, but not a motorhome where you need to drive off every day.

Aug 19, 2020
Wolverhampton
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6
Exp
I'm a newbie
We use a full size caravan awning when in Spain for the winter, but we have a full caravan awning rail fitted.
Cheers
Ed

Ah, yes, apologies, I hadn't considered there might be a full awning rail attached to the van.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you already own the awning if it’s not quite right it might be cheaper to have it altered by one of those firms that advertise in the magazines, then to buy a new one.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you haven't even bought it yet, why not get a proper driveaway awning, which will actually work properly with a motorhome?

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
If you haven't even bought it yet, why not get a proper driveaway awning, which will actually work properly with a motorhome?
We drive some where. Park up some time for months and van does not move. Were not your typical weekend odd week people

LilacSea

Free Member
Jan 10, 2020
Powys
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 70Q
Exp
Have you thought about attaching to the vehicle with ropes/straps that peg down the other side?
The air awning we have comes with them as standard, the straps clip in to the guy rope points you throw them over the van and secure, the join isn’t watertight obviously.
We don’t have any sort of rail to use (on the van) 2.5m height, but it’s possible to slide the usual Keder assembly pieces on the edge of an awning that is like a caravan awning. You can then make holes through the keder fabric piece with a hole punch and attach tapes or ropes through these if there are no clips for the purpose.
I put three pairs of holes through the tape, with a circle of cord through each pair then you can attach the guy ropes through these. No damage to the awning.
Shouldn’t damage the van, insulation foam tubing could be slid up the guy ropes / tapes to prevent rub on the roof edges.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Was thinking that. Was also thinking wing mirror may get in the way
If its a full awning it can't cover the cab door at all.
The awning rail is fitted from the very bottom, or close to, of the van then follow, within reason, the roof line at the required height to the bottom, ior close to, of the van at the other end.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
We had caravans for years when kids still travelled witrh us, and gave up when Sue developed issues which meant she could no longer help with setting up which included an awning,
We went for MH because minimal setting up and went large enough so that we did not need one. Wind out is sufficient if shade needed. also touring is so much better in a MH.
If we wanted to set up and stay for more than a week would seriously think about big caravan with wind-out, but are now addicted to the freedom and flexibility that the MH gives us,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back