LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Twickenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Delaware
Exp
Since 2021
Next to a couple with a brand new Carado, first time out and they can’t get water to work! The tank is 75% full, but they dont seem to have a switch to put water pump on. Apparently they were told by dealer that as long as they had 12volt power all they need to do is turn on tap. If anyone has any other knowledge I know it would be gratefully received.

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Usually there will be a water pump power supply switch on a control panel somewhere! Then the pump will come on when the tap is opened.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
On our last three vans (not Carado):

Check the level of fresh water by turning a knob / dial. With the warer level showing press that knob in to turn the electric supply to the pump on or off. The taps then operate another switch (either microswitch or pressure switch) and the water will flow. I do turn the water pump off when traveling and if going out as I have known the switches to fail or taps not to be turned off fully.

However pumps do fail (we are on our third in our present van) so worth checking to see if there is power to the pump and if the pump makes a noise when the tap is turned on.

On one of the vans by turning the knob further it showed the water water level and pressing the knob would pump out the waste water tank - the other two vans dumped grey water through gravity.

Of course this could be totally useless information.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Perhaps I shouldn't ask this but are there any manuals with the van?

I'm just thinking there must be a switch or fuse or something that is either in the "off" position or has blown.

EDIT: I found this - not sure if his control panel is the same as in the photo

1625932658191.png

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
May be stating the absolute obvious but the switch to put our pump on in a Carado T339 is directly opposite you as you walk into the van on the upright piece of wood supporting the two passenger seats. That has to be in the “on“ position for the pump to work.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Little switch on front of rear seats. That's where our is. It's a dealer add on the stop the pump burning out

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think Carado's have a water pump switch just micro switched taps.
Have they tried all the taps may be a micro switch problem on the one they tried.
Pump fuse in the EBL is normally 5 amp for the pump.
If its like a Hymer there will be a plug and socket for the pump connections on top of the tank worth checking its plugged together OK.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Carados definitely do have a water pump switch - well our T339 does in anyway!

OP
OP
R

RV-AL

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Twickenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Delaware
Exp
Since 2021
Dealer adamant there is no switch so they are looking at the micro switch in the taps. Thanks for everyones’ suggestions.

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
l have a Carado T339 . The water pump comes on automatically once the 12v is on. Each tap has a Microswitch...thin flimsy thing, not quite sure of the point if it, something more to go wrong. New pumps are easy to get about £70 on line. GPAT...do you know why the dealer fitted a separate pump/purpose?

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
so does the reich submersible bypass the micoswitches or do you need to remove each of them? ..with a plastic nut at each tap that can be a challenge.

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
sorry I meant to say does the shureflo replace the need for micro switches?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
sorry I meant to say does the shureflo replace the need for micro switches?
Yes.
Link to my fitting, tip don't use coloured water pipe for the pick up tube I found it loves growing algae when the tank is empty I replaced it with Speedfit pipe I hope it's better.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Do the rest of the electrics work? There should be a fuse on the EBL, possibly labelled 'Pompe'. might be worth putting in a new one if you've no meter to check it. They can look OK but still not work. Again stating the obvious, is there definitely water in the tank? They won't be the first to 'definitely put in 80 litres' and left the drain tap open.

There's two types of water system. One type has microswitches in all the taps, the shower and the loo flush. The microswitch turns on the pump when the tap is opened. This type doesn't need a pump on/off switch. If there's a water leak, it doesn't set the pump pumping.

The other type has no microswitches, but has a pressure switch in the pump. The pump pressurises the pipes and switches off when the pressure is high enough. When a tap opens, the pressure falls, and the pump fires up. This type needs a pump on/off switch. If there's a water leak, the pump keeps going until the tank is empty, and still doesn't stop, until it burns out.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Dealer adamant there is no switch so they are looking at the micro switch in the taps.
There's a microswitch in all the taps, the shower and the loo flush. Unlikely they would all fail at the same time, so if none of the taps work, it won't a microswitch problem.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If there's no switch how is the pump turned off if there's a leak?
Seems a stupid idea not to have a switch.
Of course, that only applies if it's a pressure system.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
l have a Carado T339 . The water pump comes on automatically once the 12v is on. Each tap has a Microswitch...thin flimsy thing, not quite sure of the point if it, something more to go wrong. New pumps are easy to get about £70 on line. GPAT...do you know why the dealer fitted a separate pump/purpose?
Hi. Yes the dealer fitted the switch because there is no protection on the water pump

So, for example, if your truma decided to dump its water, the pump would come one and empty the water tank onto the road, run dry and then burn out. They were fed up of replacing burnt out pumps (probably lucrative) The dealer advised always turning off the water pump at the switch when not in use....which of course we always forget to do anyway :rolleyes:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi. Yes the dealer fitted the switch because there is no protection on the water pump

So, for example, if your truma decided to dump its water, the pump would come one and empty the water tank onto the road, run dry and then burn out. They were fed up of replacing burnt out pumps (probably lucrative) The dealer advised always turning off the water pump at the switch when not in use....which of course we always forget to do anyway :rolleyes:
The pump can only turn on if a tap is open with a micro switched system.

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
We have a Sunlight very similar to Carado theres no separate switch for the water pump as long as the 12v power switch on the control panel is on the pump should work.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If there's no switch how is the pump turned off if there's a leak?
Seems a stupid idea not to have a switch.
Of course, that only applies if it's a pressure system.
My last Hymer didn't have a switch. It was a microswitched system but still a nuisance when leaving taps open over winter. I fitted a switch.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On a related subject it is perfectly possible (with excellent performance) to use an in-tank pump with a pressure system. All that's required is a pressure switch in the feed pipe.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
no switch on sunlight/carado have the got the hab 12v switched on

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun