Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
KU58 TXM

Family car being used by my son has been stolen from outside his home in Bradford. The b*****ds broke in and stole the keys. It’s a Saab 93 aero diesel estate. The colour is fairly uncommon - ice blue.

Could I ask funsters to be in the lookout please. I dare say the number plates will have been changed.

D36A129B-5AEB-44B9-B0F4-800EEEAAD8F6.jpeg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seeing that they don't make them anymore, it's probably in a thousand pieces now for spares.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Lovely looking car. Hope you get it back. Have you circulated details on Facebook?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Not wanting to put a downer on this but I wouldn’t hold out much hope of seeing it again.

As said stolen to order they might even ring it.

OP
OP
Chrysalis

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am beyond fuming for them! They're only just starting out, he graduated last year and is on a paid internship at the moment. They don't have much so having the use of the car was a big boon for them. They're currently trying to get hold of their landlord to have the locks changed.
:mad:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
My car got stolen using exactly the same m.o. I went out on social media with the description and registration, I trawled the nearby streets looking for it. Someone spotted it 4 days later parked up in a block of flats less than 3/4 mile from my house.

One of our work vans got stolen in Liverpool, same m.o. Once again I went out on Social media and it was "found" 1/2 mile from where it was stolen, a few hours later.

I have now discovered that if you have google maps on your phone you can find your parked car.

google.png

OP
OP
Chrysalis

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
It looks like it was opportunistic. The scroats broke in and rifled the coats in the hallway. They took one of his housemates wallets and spent £160 in various transactions with his contactless card. Police say it looks like they've taken it for a joyride around the area. I'm now more hopeful it will be found. Whether it is still intact or not is a different matter!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
It looks like it was opportunistic. The scroats broke in and rifled the coats in the hallway. They took one of his housemates wallets and spent £160 in various transactions with his contactless card. Police say it looks like they've taken it for a joyride around the area. I'm now more hopeful it will be found. Whether it is still intact or not is a different matter!
Fingers crossed for them.
I hate these scrotes

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
What a lovely car I hope it turns up soon rare car and a rare colour should stick out like sore thumb. Toe rags

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Anne I have no idea, it just happened. Try looking on google maps and see if it just happens on yours too.
I would guess this is dependent on you travelling in the vehicle, presumably the inherent GPS functions of your mobile device are used by Google Maps to track your movement?

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Anne I have no idea, it just happened. Try looking on google maps and see if it just happens on yours too.
I may be wrong, but I thought this was a bit like adding a POI to your satnav.

If you park in a strange/unknown area, you activate the feature before leaving your car and can then use the phone to navigate you back to the location.

In the unlikely event that an iPhone was left in the car, another iPhone could be used to track it with 'Find my iPhone', otherwise a proper Tracker would be required to be fitted.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I may be wrong, but I thought this was a bit like adding a POI to your satnav.

If you park in a strange/unknown area, you activate the feature before leaving your car and can then use the phone to navigate you back to the location.

In the unlikely event that an iPhone was left in the car, another iPhone could be used to track it with 'Find my iPhone', otherwise a proper Tracker would be required to be fitted.
I don’t physically have to do anything
If I park at home it tells me where car is
If I park at work it tells me where car is
I’ll try it out by getting hubby to use my car and see if it tells me where the car is.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I’ll try it out by getting hubby to use my car and see if it tells me where the car is.
That will be the best test, but without physically adding something (Tracker) to the car, I can't see how your phone can track the car.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
That will be the best test, but without physically adding something (Tracker) to the car, I can't see how your phone can track the car.
It’s true! If you have paired your phone to your cars media it will now track it? Or your phone remembers where you parked it last time you switched ignition off ??

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't think google knows where your car is, only where your phone is or was last.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Don't think google knows where your car is, only where your phone is or was last.

I think you may be correct. Google maps remembers last position phone was connected to vehicle Bluetooth. I seem to recall that this was intended to find where you parked your car when in a large car park (n)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We never leave vehicle keys in the house when going out, the Motorhome is in the drive but all keys including spares go with us.
Thieves would have to use other time consuming methods to take them which could well deter.
Keys on the hall table are an open invitation.

Hope the car is found ok soon.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I think you may be correct. Google maps remembers last position phone was connected to vehicle Bluetooth. I seem to recall that this was intended to find where you parked your car when in a large car park (n)
So if I am at home and my husband takes my car to work it my phone would still show my car being at home? I am going to have to allow my husband to use my car to test this out!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I think in Mike’s case they would be where he left it parked outside his house. The thieving b*******s that tooknit did not have his phone bluetoothed to it

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am so sorry about the car - hope it is found soon and is undamaged or that the insurance company play nice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back