Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I've had a quote from caratow ref fitting an A frame to the car.
Any body used them and if so any comments or observations appreciated.

(Please don't turn this into an A frame debate:D2)

Geoff

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
While your waiting .,.........
download (1).jpg
:D2

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had one fitted by caratow. The hitch is very heavy but I think they may have moved to something lighter now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cruisejunkie

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P720
Exp
2years
Morning guys, we have one fitted by towtal on a Hyundai i10 under £1000, does exactly what it says on the tin, the one with car a tow looks exactly the same, no problems at all

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
If anybody is after an A frame I have a car a tow one sitting in the garage complete with jockey wheel,:) that I no longer need its rated at one tonne and I would like £150 for it .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Also had a Car a Tow frame.. used with a small Fiat , excellent built quality, easy to use, and folded up easily to store in the car boot.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Are they legal in Spain?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I think Brian @icantremember has a car a tow a frame for sale. :)

We had one fitted on a fiat, when we got our new Smart car a tow wanted £650 to put the bracket on the car and do the wireing. :D2
But as we spent a lot of time in Spain we went for a trailer. (y)
And to be honest preferred it, no wear and tear on the car, and we did have the brake cable stick and boiled the brake fluid on the car, :rolleyes: very lucky it never caught fire. :eek: Bob.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I think Brian @icantremember has a car a tow a frame for sale. :)

We had one fitted on a fiat, when we got our new Smart car a tow wanted £650 to put the bracket on the car and do the wireing. :D2
But as we spent a lot of time in Spain we went for a trailer. (y)
And to be honest preferred it, no wear and tear on the car, and we did have the brake cable stick and boiled the brake fluid on the car, :rolleyes: very lucky it never caught fire. :eek: Bob.
My Car a Tow frame has been sold and we have changed to a toad from Towbar2towcars with the electronic braking system which I think is much better and safer than the overrun brake system.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Had my refitted by
Mail: towingaframes@hotmail.co.uk
Phone: 01246 854917 made very good job they make up new frame on car (dont use car towing eyes) cost 500

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Had my refitted by
Mail: towingaframes@hotmail.co.uk
Phone: 01246 854917 made very good job they make up new frame on car (dont use car towing eyes) cost 500
We used these too for our fiat panda . Very robust and good quality. Easy to fit and hitch onto van. Far superior to our previous one ( caratow!)

NBGB

Free Member
Jan 15, 2017
Crewe
Funster No
MH
A Class. Hymer B584. 1999
Exp
Since 1995. Caravanning 10 year before.
Hi. I purchased a DIY kit from Car A Tow two years ago. Ford Fiesta & Hymer B584 combination. Found the company to be so helpful. Product well engineered. Best thing we have purchased should have had one sooner. If only I had listened earlier to the wife!

Nigel & Glynis.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I went for the much more expensive Smart Tow A Frame which is a lot more sophisticated in the way it works. The cable operated no servo assistance A Frames are a lot cheaper but crude in their operation. Have you ever tried using the brakes on a car when the vacuum has run out on the servo? That is what is happening with the cruder A Frame cable operated brake overrun systems. I believe they are reliant on the motorhome for braking effort.

NBGB

Free Member
Jan 15, 2017
Crewe
Funster No
MH
A Class. Hymer B584. 1999
Exp
Since 1995. Caravanning 10 year before.
Hi Ninjabob.
Yes certainly had experience of having to handle a vehicle when the servo was not operating. Yes you are correct to use the 'example' as to how the cable system works. Without checking the road traffic specification for trailer braking efficiency I am aware only a % of the cars braking efficiency system is required. Having used the A frame for towing the car a few times now, I have never felt concerned that the brakes on the 'Toad' were not sufficient for the any of our travelling conditions. Or had to apply great force on the Motorhome brake pedal. I did a few 'emergency' braking tests on a quite road before we ever went on holiday jaunts. The braking application from the car could be felt leaving no doubt it was contributing to the stability and control of the outfit.

I do not doubt any of the more sophisticated braking systems will be potentially be more efficient and lead to an even safer outfit. So long as the connecting bowden type cable is maintained and routed correctly on the overrun systems. Future purchases should not be put off.

Nigel & Glynis.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I went for the much more expensive Smart Tow A Frame which is a lot more sophisticated in the way it works. The cable operated no servo assistance A Frames are a lot cheaper but crude in their operation. Have you ever tried using the brakes on a car when the vacuum has run out on the servo? That is what is happening with the cruder A Frame cable operated brake overrun systems. I believe they are reliant on the motorhome for braking effort.
I used the Car A Tow system to tow a Diahatsu Terios. Crude? Or simple and effective? With simple but effective overrun systems the harder you brake, the more effective the braking system is.

The more expensive systems seem like inventing something to be different for marketing reasons more than anything else? Let's face it under 750kg you don't even need the trailer to be braked, being reliant on the motorhome.

Over run braking systems are standard on caravans after all, and servo systems are only to make braking easier, for the driver

They're all illegal anyway lol

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We had a Car-a-Tow and it was fitted fine and worked ok , except the actual A Frame was bloody heavy. Therefore next time I will seek out a lighter alternative. :)

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
New A frames a great deal lighter apparently. Hopefully. Please.

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
Definitely Car A Tow for us, a real pleasure to do do business last year with a Company that was honest with their information, not pushy, a well engineered product, too. There are several similar A frames on the market, but customer service speaks volumes for us.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
We had "car a tow" years ago.No problem at all with the product or the service.(y)
We now have a Towcars2towcars system......good product but the fitting and after service.....Well !!!!!!!......It cost me nearly £200 for Empire Rv to put the electrics right !!!:mad:...You have never seen such a mess !!!!!
Would I recommend them?......The product is fine(when correctly fitted)
so draw your own conclusions....I wish I'd gone back to Car a tow.
Just my own findings of course.;)

John.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back