Can anyone recommend a robust food-grade water hose? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Have tried the flat hoses that need to be fully unwound & they are faster to fill but like this Brunner 3 core food grade hose pipe as can be used on the roll http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=352276323664 . Had one for 7 years & still like new. Quidco has up to 10% cashback for eBay sales & triple Nectar points (207) at eBay too.

View attachment 444179
That’s almost exactly the same as the one that’s just split on me. Maybe ours was a cheapie copy?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I bought a 'whale' lay flat hose in 2012 and it's still going strong. (If that's not tempting fate)
If you want food grade pipe try an aquatics centre usually clear or see through green colour almost any length or diameter u want. They dont want to poison expensive tropical fish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We have a 30m max expandable / self retracting hose. It weighs very little, bundles into a small space and so far has lasted over seven years. It doesn't seem to affect the water, and the outer covering is blue so it must be safe ;). I believe the inner is made of the same material as used in condoms. Maybe too much info :unsure:.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We have a 30m max expandable / self retracting hose. It weighs very little, bundles into a small space and so far has lasted over seven years. It doesn't seem to affect the water, and the outer covering is blue so it must be safe ;). I believe the inner is made of the same material as used in condoms. Maybe too much info :unsure:.
If you haven’t got pregnant in those seven years then it shows how well it works😂🤭😂

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but what's the risk issue to a new tank?:unsure:
I don’t want to contaminate a new, certified drinking-water-safe tank with a bitter-tasting cocktail of chemicals if I can help it.
It does make me chuckle sometimes when people are concerned about the last 30ft their water travels into their water tank...😁
If that last 30ft contains the means to foul up my cuppa or taint the whisky in my glass, then I’ll happily pay extra for a food-grade hose to avoid it. I’ve had an ocean going yacht for years and know how difficult it is to clean down contaminated tanks.

On that note, I’ll say “Slainte mhor mhath!” to all. :wine:

🥃☕

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My garden hose is yellow, been using it to fill motorhome water tank for 18years and drink water stored in tank and we are both still alive. Also use a watering can to fill if not near enough to use hose but couldn't find a food grade one :rofl:
I never thought of that but it does make no sense at all using a watering can sometimes and the others a food grade hose as unless you run with the watering can it will sit in it a lot longer.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I bought a 'whale' lay flat hose in 2012 and it's still going strong. (If that's not tempting fate)
Almost snap, twas 2013 . I use 2 length easier to store in a box with other stuff. This reminded me of when i bought it.
As an aside dont go to magnam motorhomes in grimsby unless your hands are tied behind your back.
Too much stuff you didnt know you needed.
I went in expecting to spend £125 came out over £400 lighter. Thank God swmbo was with me or it could have been more.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We just use good quality yellow garden hose bought from B&Q I think many years ago ... it's an anti-kink one so no restrictions from creased bits and no cracking so no leaks either. We've had it for years, cut into 2 lengths (long an short) and we use whichever, or both, as necessary. We have always drunk the water from the tank and never had any issues with being poisoned, nasty tastes etc.

The only one we had issues with was in our first camper, a Commer Autosleeper, where the previous owner had put fuel in the water tank at some point and despite numerous attempts we never got rid of the taste.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We purchased some 3/4" yellow hose from Toolstation for the garden. similar to what you see in garden centres. In spite of regular and frequent use in the garden including watering two greenhouses, if we use it to fill the MH there was always a weird taste,
Having said that, we've always in 30+years of motorhoming used garden hoses of one type or another and with the above exception never had a problem,and my wife is very fussy about her tea!

ps Never found Spanish tap water we could drink though.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Surely whatever hose you use when you have filled up the tank there will be residue of water left in the hose especially during the winter period. Unless you know some way of getting the last drop out. Anyway a good clear out does you good every now and then. Make your tea stronger to mask the taste. I would be glad to have strange tasting tea sitting on a beach in Spain. Sadly I’m in Bexley-come -frosty at the moment 😀

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If the quality of the water is important to you, fit an in-line filter.
Easier still, use a filter jug for consumed water.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
we have the red yoyo one from b+q it expands and is food grade its about £25 for the 15m one
Like that - very clever & 5 year guarantee! (y) Looks like the exterior can be wiped clean unlike the fabric type extendable ones.
More info. & videos here for anyone interested https://www.yoyoextendablehose.co.uk/
Out of stock at B&Q online but Amazon & others sell these.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Like that - very clever & 5 year guarantee! (y) Looks like the exterior can be wiped clean unlike the fabric type extendable ones.
More info. & videos here for anyone interested https://www.yoyoextendablehose.co.uk/
Out of stock at B&Q online but Amazon & others sell these.
Damn, our Brunner one has just arrived and I was surprised how heavy it is. If Nick is not excited by his Christmas present then he can have this red YoYo one next year!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Damn, our Brunner one has just arrived and I was surprised how heavy it is. If Nick is not excited by his Christmas present then he can have this red YoYo one next year!
Can see these hoses being a talking point in the meet/rally field! There will be a 15m blue & grey one to match the new Brunner one soon https://www.gardenhealth.com/flopro-compact-flo-expandable-hose-set-15m - have asked Flopro whether it will be suitable for drinking water (made by FITT so presumably will be like the red longer version) & when it will be available for sale :)

1606820852317.png
1606820990323.png

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Can see these hoses being a talking point in the meet/rally field! There will be a 15m blue & grey one to match the new Brunner one soon https://www.gardenhealth.com/flopro-compact-flo-expandable-hose-set-15m - have asked Flopro whether it will be suitable for drinking water (made by FITT so presumably will be like the red longer version) & when it will be available for sale :)

View attachment 444923View attachment 444924
At least it will be nicer than toilets and best things for breaking down poo!

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I use one of those expandable hoses which expands to 30 metres. It's not food grade but I always flush it through for a short while before I let it near my tank. For me the problem has always been finding a hose long enough to reach a tap and this is the best I've found. Better than to-ing and fro-ing with a watering can when you've been on site for a few days and don't want to decamp to drive to the motorhome service point. Most of the food grade hoses I've looked at don't seem to stretch very far - usually 15m.

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Turned out ours was a Brunner, but we got a full refund with no questions asked.

Just ordered the Fitt Yoyo 18m version via ebay. £34.99 delivered. Thanks for the info POH and also Wombles for your unending efforts on all our behalves.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back