Can anybody please help a (very) non-technical person with a solar regulator problem? (1 Viewer)

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
At a recent dealer hab check on our Carthago C-Tourer we were advised the gel batteries needed replacing. We managed to source 2 like for like replacements, and have swapped them over. I isolated the batteries first.

But now the regulator is not behaving as it did - it's an NDS Sun Control SC300M MPPT. The green LED, which normally flashes to show leisure batteries are getting a charge, is not lit. The orange LED showing cab battery charging was flashing initially, but is also now out. And the CBE control panel in the van is flashing to indicate the cab battery is running low.

12v facilities (lights, satellite etc) appear to be working normally.

I've put the van on hook up, but the dealer's service counter is closed over the weekend. Can anyone advise a very non-technical person what I can best do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I didn't disconnect the solar - just isolated the batteries using the isolator switch. Should I have?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I didn't disconnect the solar - just isolated the batteries using the isolator switch. Should I have?
With some you do as they can be dual 12 or 24 volt chargers and they decide which to be when the battery is connected providing the solar panels are disconnected. A bit like rebooting a PC.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Seem to recall reading that the solar panels should be disconnected by pulling a fuse before disconnecting the batteries.
Might have buggered the controller but, like you, I’m no expert.

Richard

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Try covering your solar panels ( or do it at night). Disconnect all connections to the solar regulator then reconnect to the batteries first then the panels last. With any luck it will reset it.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
On my cheapo Truma Controller it is disconnect Solar before disconnecting batteries and reconnect batteries before reconnecting Solar.

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
With some you do as they can be dual 12 or 24 volt chargers and they decide which to be when the battery is connected providing the solar panels are disconnected. A bit like rebooting a PC.
The charger is a CBE CB 510/516 - the manual seems to suggest 12v only (no reference to 24 v). I suspect that Lenny's suggestion (below) may have the effect of rebooting?

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Seem to recall reading that the solar panels should be disconnected by pulling a fuse before disconnecting the batteries.
Might have buggered the controller but, like you, I’m no expert.

Richard
Ooops - that would mitigate against what was a really good deal on the batteries!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The charger is a CBE CB 510/516 - the manual seems to suggest 12v only (no reference to 24 v). I suspect that Lenny's suggestion (below) may have the effect of rebooting?
I've just downloaded the instructions and it is indeed 12 volt only and there is no mention of connecting things in a specific order.

If you have a multimeter you could check for a voltage from the panels, even if it is cloudy there should be something. You could also check the fuse inside the unit and check the jumper is in the right place for gels although it should still be charging whatever the setting.

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I've just downloaded the instructions and it is indeed 12 volt only and there is no mention of connecting things in a specific order.

If you have a multimeter you could check for a voltage from the panels, even if it is cloudy there should be something. You could also check the fuse inside the unit and check the jumper is in the right place for gels although it should still be charging whatever the setting.
I've got a multimeter - but am so technically dense I've never got the hang of using it! I will check the 2 fuses in the regulator though - thanks.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Eureka - immense gratitude to all who've helped, but particularly to LennyHB.
Try covering your solar panels ( or do it at night). Disconnect all connections to the solar regulator then reconnect to the batteries first then the panels last. With any luck it will reset it.
I followed that sequence and the leisure battery charge LED is now flashing. I'm not convinced that the cab battery charge is working, but I can live with that short-term at least.

Thanks all.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Check the cab battery voltage (with a meter, on the terminals) when the sun has been shining for an hour or two. If the voltage is 13.0 or more, then the solar is charging it. (I'm assuming it's not on mains hookup)

OP
OP
S
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Sun - shining? An hour or two? In Cumbria?:D2

Thanks though - although having looked in the online version of the regulator manual (https://www.roadpro.co.uk/userfiles...S/NDS Sun Control SC300M v3 - Booklet ENG.pdf) which is slightly more detailed than the printed version, it appears that the panels only charge the cab battery if the leisure batteries are charged to 80%+, and if the cab battery is at under 12.5v.

But if the weather picks up I’ll take it off hookup for a while and check.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back