Can’t unblock Vanbitz non-starter. (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have had this happen multiple times now, I arm the vehicle at home and it works fine, shows engine block on. Then when i want to use the vehicle and send the unblock commands to it the unblock doesnt happen. I now have the keyfob as they gave me this last year when the same thing happened. I now tend to unblock a day before i travel as this seems to be enough time for it to sort itself out. Not ideal i know but i wont leave it on my drive without it being blocked but i dont think i would use the non starter side whilst away. Unless i was parked up for a few days may be. Metatrak have always been on hand to assist though and they unblocked it remotely last time. Could just be the mobile provider they are using not sure which this is.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Spoke with Meta & Vanbitz this am.

Meta say the fob should always work regardless of interference and are sending some replacement batteries.

I think it was interference though, and when I lucked upon the right spot to hold the fob so that it was closest to the Meta box of tricks, that’s when it unblocked.
Vanbitz have told me exactly where to hold the fob if it happens again.

Thanks again to all who helped on Saturday.

I'm a bit confused as to which fob you are referring to? Is it the alarm fob (which has no effect on setting or unsetting the immobiliser) or the emergency override fob? I assumed when you said that you couldn't unset the immobiliser either via the app or the fob, that you were referring to the emergency override fob?

In either case though, they both have internal batteries which will obviously decay with time. I noticed that my alarm fob wasn't working over its normal range a couple of months ago. Replaced the batteries and it's back to normal. In the booklet I was given, Vanbitz say that the expected life of the fob batteries is around 3 years, which is coincidentally about the age of mine! I also carry a couple of sets of replacement batteries for all my fobs in the van, due to sods law ;)

If you have a phone signal, but it appears too weak to allow the app to communicate, particularly in a built-up area, I often find that just walking around a couple of hundred yards or so in different directions can be enough to find a decent signal. If you have no signal at all though, it's a different matter!

OP
OP
A

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
Emergency override fob.

The system was fitted in Nov last so the batts should be fine.

I had plenty of signal.

Once I got started and moved away from where I’d been parked, everything started working as normal again.

I’m pretty sure is was interference from the masts on top of the building next to where I was parked and/or the fire station across the road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I wonder if MetaTrak have 'updated' their software at their end recently causing a few unexpected bugs.
My app on Android is 2.6.92

I've not [yet] had any block/unlock issues - but I presume for MetaTrak to develop an override fob, these issues are not rare.

Last edited:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I have had this happen multiple times now, I arm the vehicle at home and it works fine, shows engine block on. Then when i want to use the vehicle and send the unblock commands to it the unblock doesnt happen. I now have the keyfob as they gave me this last year when the same thing happened. I now tend to unblock a day before i travel as this seems to be enough time for it to sort itself out. Not ideal i know but i wont leave it on my drive without it being blocked but i dont think i would use the non starter side whilst away. Unless i was parked up for a few days may be. Metatrak have always been on hand to assist though and they unblocked it remotely last time. Could just be the mobile provider they are using not sure which this is.

App commands can sometimes take up to a couple of minutes to receive the response in my experience. On a few occasions where the system hasn't updated its status after that time, I find that repeating the command normally does the trick. As a quick check, try sending a position request and refreshing the history page until the response appears in the list.

I've only had a couple of occasions where I couldn't get any response at all, including the map location not updating, and sending the system reset command fixed it. I find the emergency fob pretty much instantaneous, but then it's only sending a signal a couple of feet or so if you're in the driver's seat when you use it, so I would have thought you could use that to unblock the immobiliser on your drive just before you set off?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I’m pretty sure is was interference from the masts on top of the building next to where I was parked and/or the fire station across the road.

Sounds quite likely. We used to have a village police office next door to our house, and whenever the police car was parked outside, the bobby had to switch the car radio to repeater mode to broadcast the signals so that he could pick them up on his personal radio whilst in the office. It used to cause havoc with all sorts of electrical devices in our house when it was broadcasting.

I once had a car on which the alarm used to go off every time I drove along a particular stretch of the north Norfolk coast, even though it wasn't switched on at the time. Quite embarrassing when you appear to be honking and flashing your lights repeatedly at the car in front and can't do anything about it :oops:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
The emergency fob we are talking about is separate from the alarm fob and is supplied by metatrak
The non starter is independent to the strike back / grower alarm.

The idea is that you stash the emergency fob somewhere in the van (independent from the key)?and if the non starter fails to disarm eg coz of poor phone signal, you can manually override the block command

Thanks eddievanbitz for discussing my issue with metatrak this morning. No real answer at moment but suspicion is moving away from the non starter at the moment as the engine start block wasn't armed / and self cleared

I'll get it into fiat pro dealer om our return.
Wonder if it is an ecu issue or brake interlock switch.?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I've not [yet] had any block/unlock issues - but I presume for MetaTrak to develop an override fob, these issues are not rare.

They haven't developed an override fob as such. If you look at the Metatrak Shield specifications, it's an option that has always been available to be specified on systems instead of, or as well as the app. It can be configured either as an item that automatically overrides the immobiliser if it's present in the vehicle, or via driver activation as enabled on the Vantbitz system. I think Vanbitz have introduced it on their version of the system to overcome limitations of the app, which is obviously reliant on a good phone signal and coverage.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I know this is not exactly to do with this. But, my van fob will not unlock the van if i press my electric garage door button on its remote.
So if youn have other remote fobs and they are transmitting either by having a button pressed in a bag or pocket or are faulty them maybe they could stop the emergency fob doing its stuff.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I know this is not exactly to do with this. But, my van fob will not unlock the van if i press my electric garage door button on its remote.
So if youn have other remote fobs and they are transmitting either by having a button pressed in a bag or pocket or are faulty them maybe they could stop the emergency fob doing its stuff.

Thieves have been modifying cheap garage door remotes for years to block car fobs. Stick one in a bag with a battery pack and put it in a bin near someone's driveway or car park and you can help yourself to the contents of nearby cars, because the driver's mostly get out and press a button on their fob whilst walking away without ever checking that its actually locked. When I first became aware of this about 10 years ago, a particular item from B&Q was apparently considered the "best buy" for that purpose.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thieves have been modifying cheap garage door remotes for years to block car fobs. Stick one in a bag with a battery pack and put it in a bin near someone's driveway or car park and you can help yourself to the contents of nearby cars, because the driver's mostly get out and press a button on their fob whilst walking away without ever checking that its actually locked. When I first became aware of this about 10 years ago, a particular item from B&Q was apparently considered the "best buy" for that purpose.
This is the reason that any alarm system that uses wireless sensors for doors and lockers is useless as they are so easy to beat.

Another reason also not to have the alarm connected into the original CL system activated by the factory lock/unlock fob

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
App commands can sometimes take up to a couple of minutes to receive the response in my experience. On a few occasions where the system hasn't updated its status after that time, I find that repeating the command normally does the trick. As a quick check, try sending a position request and refreshing the history page until the response appears in the list.

I've only had a couple of occasions where I couldn't get any response at all, including the map location not updating, and sending the system reset command fixed it. I find the emergency fob pretty much instantaneous, but then it's only sending a signal a couple of feet or so if you're in the driver's seat when you use it, so I would have thought you could use that to unblock the immobiliser on your drive just before you set off?
I went through loads of commands, i sent the actual unblock command 6 times but it did nothing. I've yet to try the actual fob override but i am guessing this will work. I took the MH away a couple of weeks ago and this one took approx 20mins to unblock but it did unblock in the end with the app. Perhaps it is the app that is playing up on certain devices. i use mine on an Iphone but it would be good to know if all the issues are on both android and ios and not just one.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
This is the reason that any alarm system that uses wireless sensors for doors and lockers is useless as they are so easy to beat.

Another reason also not to have the alarm connected into the original CL system activated by the factory lock/unlock fob
But the question here is why doesnt the non starter disengage by smartphone and why will the emergency fob not work in the circumstances that the posters on here are encountering?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But the question here is why doesnt the non starter disengage by smartphone and why will the emergency fob not work in the circumstances that the posters on here are encountering?
Of the two one has posted stating that on investigation it appears to be vehicle related, and doesn't have an emergency fob anyway, and the with the other the issue seemed to be immediate proximity to a massive mast

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I went through loads of commands, i sent the actual unblock command 6 times but it did nothing. I've yet to try the actual fob override but i am guessing this will work. I took the MH away a couple of weeks ago and this one took approx 20mins to unblock but it did unblock in the end with the app. Perhaps it is the app that is playing up on certain devices. i use mine on an Iphone but it would be good to know if all the issues are on both android and ios and not just one.
Next time it happens speak to Metatrak and they will see exactly what is happening. Most of the time it is (should be) pretty instantaneous.

Could the delay be on the push notification actually updating the App although the engine block being removed.

Worth speaking to Metatrack anyway as they will be able to see whats happening and if there is a problem resolve it.

OP
OP
A

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
Of the two one has posted stating that on investigation it appears to be vehicle related, and doesn't have an emergency fob anyway, and the with the other the issue seemed to be immediate proximity to a massive mast

Correct. I’ve tried it a lot of times yesterday & today, fob & app; and have had no repeat of the issues from Sat.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
As eddievanbitz says, are you actually trying but being unable to start the van after sending the unblock command, or are you waiting for the app to tell you that it's unblocked before you try to start it?

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
As eddievanbitz says, are you actually trying but being unable to start the van after sending the unblock command, or are you waiting for the app to tell you that it's unblocked before you try to start it?
One of the time's i was actually sat in the van trying to start it but it would not start so metatrak did something there end and it worked. That was after me trying just about every command on the app. At that point i forgot i had the emergency fob so i never got to test it. Each time i have had an issue Metatrak have been more than helpful in sorting it. I just dont trust it when I am away as i dont want to be stranded somewhere. I will stick to using the Growler whilst away and the engine block and growler when at home.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
One of the time's i was actually sat in the van trying to start it but it would not start so metatrak did something there end and it worked. That was after me trying just about every command on the app. At that point i forgot i had the emergency fob so i never got to test it. Each time i have had an issue Metatrak have been more than helpful in sorting it. I just dont trust it when I am away as i dont want to be stranded somewhere. I will stick to using the Growler whilst away and the engine block and growler when at home.
The Non Starter was actually introduced to combat key theft and subsequent theft from peoples homes when the motorhome was at home, the motorhome keys were at home but the owner and the owners phones wasn't at home.

I normally only use the Non Starter function when I am at home to be honest, as If I am say shopping, my camper is in the supermarket car park, The Growler is armed and the keys are in my pocket so it won't be stolen.

If the Growler is triggered, say some kids trying to mess around with our bikes, which are alarmed on the rack because of the APC (Accessory Protection Circuit) the Non Starter will immediately notify me via SMS (faster than push notifications) whether the Non Starter is armed or not (arming only activates the actual engine block)

We get people who tell us that they will immobilise the engine when they pull up for lunch! sat in the van, eating their lunch!

Its probably best not to discuss too much more publically, but there must be a reason why yours isn't operating normally so why not give either us a call or Metatrack and find out why you experience the delay?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is there not a danger [being totally naive] that thieves can start your van without your keys?
"Hotwire" ???

Yes, that why you have an immobiliser. If a thief has your keys he can bypass your alarm and the immobiliser. Hence why it's a good idea to fit the Non-Starter. But If I'm away and I have the keys in my possession, why bother with the non starter?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, that why you have an immobiliser. If a thief has your keys he can bypass your alarm and the immobiliser. Hence why it's a good idea to fit the Non-Starter. But If I'm away and I have the keys in my possession, why bother with the non starter?
...so a thief can't [normally] defeat a standard factory fit immobiliser without the keys?
Good to know (y)

I also don't usually arm the non-starter whilst away from home, but that's usually because I forget rather than for any logical reasons :giggler:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
...so a thief can't [normally] defeat a standard factory fit immobiliser without the keys?
Good to know (y)

I also don't usually arm the non-starter whilst away from home, but that's usually because I forget rather than for any logical reasons :giggler:

I put the non-starter on when I'm at home. That really is the only place that someone might get hold of my keys to by bypass my alarm.

But back in April, I had to leave my RV at a garage for a week. so, 50miles away at home at 6pm each night I armed it, then unarmed it at 8am. so they could start it to work on it.

Its situations like this that the Non-starter was designed for, rather than routine security on the road. That's the job of your alarm and immobiliser

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am a Luddite when it comes to these "security" gizmos.

I am not going to fit any electronic device which means I risk being denied the use of my own van.

Mind you, I have solved my security issues by having a van no one would want to steal...

JJ :cool:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

Because of devices like these, which have been used on Fords for several years, and which evidence suggests are now being used on Sevel vans too, although not currently in such widespread circulation.

Immobiliser bypass takes about 20 seconds max.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Can I just ask, it is your van isn’t it? ?

Ian
Back in the day my first car was an Austin Cambridge. My dad borrowed it parked outside a shop and when he came out drove off in the wrong car. In those days any key would fit any car.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Mind you, I have solved my security issues by having a van no one would want to steal...
JJ :cool:

I have it on good authority that there are at least 6 German museums desperately working out how to nick it and bring it home.

The only thing that is saving you is them finding a working WW1 Panzer tank transporter to get it there. Most have died because their boilers leak so badly and Fred Dibnah was the only steam expert who could have repaired them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back