Free Member
May 2, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
Ages. Since April 2018
In 3 of our last 4 trips away, we have cut short our weekend trip or moved on early due to campsites that really did not live up to the reviews I had read before booking. I won’t name the bad ones I am referring to here, it would probably be unfair and maybe I am expecting too much, but IMO the difference between the really good ones who get 4.5 / 5 and the very disappointing ones that get similar scores is huge, and frankly unfair on those who deserve the high review scores. The most recent visit this weekend was another 4.5 / 5 in the review score (tripadvisor & CCC). Great location, but the site was very Scruffy, the toilet / shower block grim and some of the static caravans looked untouched since Dads Army was first on the TV.

How do you research sites you are planning to visit and avoid the 4.5 out of 5 scores that ought to be 2 at best?

Paul

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I agree with you Paul. We are on one right now and to be honest it’s ‘ok’ but a bit scruffy and almost an after thought for the farmer! The actual field is pleasant enough but the toilet and shower are just scruffy outbuildings, they are not kept very clean either. £15! It’s money for old rope! (C&CC CS)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Static caravans usually look bad easy money for the campsite.
I can accept small toilet blocks but should be ok mid season.
Trouble is campsites are easy money especially in premium spots.
Less desired areas without static vans are usually better.
Could spend a week doing one night stops trying to find a nice site.
You should name both good and bad sites, giving objective views.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Bottom line is, everyone likes different things, and many moan about trivia, or praise a nice view. I ignore reviews, and go where suits based on facilities and location. After all, its ok in my van, as long as I’m where I want to be. I don’t usually sit on a site all day........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Never been disappointed with the cleanliness or allocated space of a cmc site. Silly money this time of year though. I have however been very disappointed with ccc site. Having said there are some brilliant ccc sites so do some research.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Any review is highly subjective and depends on the priorities of the reviewer. For example for me the priorities are location, quiet, good for dogs.
The toilets and showers can be disgusting or non-existent and it doesn't bother me as I don't use them, convenient dumping points are far more important.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
£5 where we were last week
The tap worked
Manhole cover has rope (apparently makes life easier for Hymer owners)
Happy days
Last night spent the night in a seaside town at side of road , night before night beside a river cost £0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think reviews give you a good idea about what to expect. It's always best to ignore the one or two extremes such as the glowing review that's obviously from the business owners Mum and the '1 star Mr angry review' from an idiot. As we get more used to reviewing business I find reviewers generally fair, but we still seem twice as likely to review bad service than good so I find businesses always a little better than their average review.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Treat all reviews with a pinch of salt.after all they are just one persons view. Have seen pitches described as "large"and ""small" for the same place

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
hi.
C.L. Super Site with a sea view to die for....... Booked up two years in advance,Fresh water tap and dump point on site,.Just off site (Through a gate) Toilet 1,, shower 1, these are shared with a "Camping field/overflow part with no view,and horse owners camping at the Farm proper. A level walk ,5mins,brings you to the centre of a little shopping area,
Was £15 a night years ago, a member on site one time came up to us as we were chatting and asked "Where do they get £15 a night from,whats so good?" We just stood up and looked around. We go for views,quiet and most important when we had the growlers,somewhere to walk them and enjoy the area. The washrooms/wc in modern c/vans-mo/ho's are very modern,gone are the days of Toilet tents and bucket and chuck it,the Dump points and toilet blocks,are the responsibility of the last user, a lot of Funsters can manage very well,to be off grid for at least 3 days .
Tea Bag

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I'm finding that a lot of the facilities at C&CC sites are a little 'tired' compared with their big brother C&MHC sites.

Oxford C&CC is a good example. Very scruffy loo blocks, broken fences between pitches (that's if you can call them pitches - they're not very clearly marked!), rough community play area next door, railway line runs alongside the site etc etc. All things that you would mark a site down for.

BUT it is in a fabulous position! Walkable along the river to the city or a bus stops virtually outside the gate. Plus, with my wrinkly discount, I pay about £10 a night.

It's a question of priorities, I think :)

OP
OP
Cheeses

Cheeses

Free Member
May 2, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
Ages. Since April 2018
Thanks for all the comments and i agree, C&MHC do tend to be better. I am coming to the conclusion that the most reliable source of reviews in my opinion is this site. I've used a lot of the sites sites recommend on the forums, so far I have only had one I was not so keen on, and that was simply due to overcrowding. Wherever i stay, I do try to leave a review, whether good bad or average.

In an ideal scenario, rather than a single 1-5 score, it would be good to see 1-5 across key categories we all find important....location, cost, accessibility, cleanliness etc.

Makes me think wild camping is a safer bet...other than location, the rest is down to you.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
I tend to read the negative reviews first. Most of them tend to be unintentionally funny “rubbish campsite it rained all the time” or “rubbish campsite the cows in the field next door were noisy”.
We sat chatting today with our young kids about our favourite campsites and listed our top ten. The only one we all completely agreed on was everyone’s favourite in Croatia. All he others were more to do with what we had got up to rather than the campsite itself.
Everyone’s reviews are so subjective.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
There is bound to be a high level of subjectivity regarding the view, ease of access etc...BUT, clean is clean and couldn't give a toss is not subjective. Good sites have a cared for vibe about them and others have a couldn't care less attitude. We use CL's rather than large sites and we are please to say that the majority are well run, and when they are not we move on early and we do not pay........simples..............

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think its like the ones you recommend in Sutton on Sea and Italy :)

I don't think large UK campsites are anything like campsites in Italy. It's like comparing an Eldiss to a Condorde.

Can CLs and similar be compared with big campsites ? I don't believe so but I suppose it depends on your definition of a campsite.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back