Campsite near Seville - advice please (1 Viewer)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We are beginning to plan our trip to the Algarve, will be driving down the A66 in Spain and turning R at Seville. The 2018 ACSI book shows that this area is a bit of an ACSI desert (2019 book in transit) so I am seeking your advice please.

Probably leaving early in new year so certain to catch a few religious holidays. No great urgency but I like to think ahead.

TIA

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Get campercontact and use aires, there are several along the 66. Assuming you’re just looking to sleepover rather than stay a while, no need for a site. Imho.

Deleted User
The only sites I know of in that area are Camping Villsom at Dos Hermanas and La Aldea at El Rocio which is I think in the ACSI discount scheme.

El Rocio is worth a visit if you have not been before.

There are three camperstops in or very near to Seville if you want to visit the city we have used this one a couple of times, walkable to centre or bus nearby. No facilities on site which is basically a car park with security, spaces for motorhomes and some electricity points but we have never attempted to use them.

Looked at the reviews for that one and it is now closed apparently but gives directions to this one

A little bit further out but still walkeable through the beautiful Parque Maria Luisa and Plaza Espana

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Puente de los remedios is open, stayed there a few days ago.
It is just a car park now with no facilities at all.
Its 15euros but has 24hr security and very close to the centre.
There were 22 vans there when we stayed.
Kevin

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
The aire in the port at Gelves (CC10222) is good if you don't mind a bus ride into the city. It's as secure as most camp sites, has basic loos and a washing machine, with hook up available as an extra if you need it. There is a little bar in the marina complex and you are within walking distance of an Aldi. CC says it is now 16€, which isn't cheap but given the lack of sites in the area, it's a pretty good place to stay for a few nights while visiting the city. Only think to note is that the bus service on a Sunday isn't as frequent as other days of the week.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We stayed for a month last January at Donarrayan Park near Hinojos, not far from Seville. Nice quiet site, takes ACSI. It’s somewhat in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the nature park, but has a reasonable onsite restaurant. We may even spend a bit of time there again in the next few weeks (currently in Sagres).

Deleted User
Puente de los remedios is open, stayed there a few days ago.
It is just a car park now with no facilities at all.
Its 15euros but has 24hr security and very close to the centre.
There were 22 vans there when we stayed.
Kevin

From a review on Campercontact by a Brit, Jefferson-Campervan, yesterday

"
10 Dec 2018

Closed permanently this week - they have a person on site giving you a map to their "new" site which is just the old Razas site across the river."

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
I am amazed, although used by us, it is mainly locals that have reserved parking.
I stand corrected. Thank you.

Deleted User
I am amazed, although used by us, it is mainly locals that have reserved parking.
I stand corrected. Thank you.

Yes, I was surprised, as you say lots of locals with long term permits, don't know where they will park now.

We were planning to use it again in April when we will be meeting our daughter there, the one over the river looks ok for our purpose though and there are always the 2 others.

Perhaps the space is going to be developed,a prime riverside location.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I agree with @matamoros la Aldea at El Rocio is well worth a stop right in Donana national Park and the village is something else,like going back in time or visiting a cowboy town with a lagoon full of all sorts of birds inc Flamingo & Spoonbills.
And you can get to Portugal along the coast from there easily.:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:
Enjoy your trip

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Aires are an absolute no-no for Mme and there is no point in trying to argue with an intransigent woman.

Having digested the advice above I had provisionally decided upon Hinojos but this was based on the 2018 ACSI book. The 2019 book that arrived yesterday advises that Hinojos will not open until 12/4. So it will be El Rocio for us.

Our route and stops are now decided, just waiting for the MH annual service to be completed (MoT is every 2 years) and then the joys of packing.

Once again thank you all for your advice and helpful comments. As usual well worth the annual sub.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Are you sure ACSI has it right? Their web site quotes prices for the December to April period, and they even mention the long stay one month rates explicitly for January to March. Their chalets appear not to be available until April, but as far as I can see, pitches are available.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
@klaatu - you may be right, I know that ACSI is not infallible. But El Rocio seems to meet our needs plus a recommendation from @matamoros and that is enough for me.
El Rocio charged us 19euros per night last week.
Take a good look at your pitch and make sure you have enough speed to get over the kerb. You will see what I mean when you get there.
DO NOT even think about taking your van in to town.
Cheap fuel across the road.
Hope the weather is kind to you.
Kevin

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
El Rocio charged us 19euros per night last week.
Take a good look at your pitch and make sure you have enough speed to get over the kerb. You will see what I mean when you get there.
Cheap fuel across the road.
Hope the weather is kind to you.
Kevin
If you ask in office you can get some ramps to go over gutter and although charges are a little more they give 7 for six nights it’s all in ACSI book.:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Interesting, why do you say that? We visited El Rocio in our previous van, easy access and parked all day for a euro or two in the large area near the church. Plenty of other motorhomes doing the same.

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Daily rate up to EUR 20 next year. Thanks for the tip about fuel, seem to recall that Portugal was much more expensive in early 2018 and cannot imagine that the differential has reversed.

Do not intend taking MH into town even if we stay more than just 1 night. Will beware of high kerbs as well.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Interesting, why do you say that? We visited El Rocio in our previous van, easy access and parked all day for a euro or two in the large area near the church. Plenty of other motorhomes doing the same.
I think he was probably referring to the roads actually in town they do get very potholed and deep sand can be tricky especially when it rains.:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb: We take our Panda to town but it’s 4x4.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
I dare you to return and do that in the wet.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
El Rocio is great :xThumb:, but every time we go, some bloke called @Speve has got there before us :xwink:.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I dare you to return and do that in the wet.
Ah, OK, but that important part was missing from your original advice. There had been some rain when we visited, but not a lot.

From the reviews I’ve read of the El Rocio camp site, if it’s wet the site is similarly a bit troublesome.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
El Rocio is great :xThumb:, but every time we go, some bloke called @Speve has got there before us :xwink:.
If you go now we’re not there we are down at Tarifa enjoying the sunshine at the moment will be up there after Christmas sometime can’t miss the birding and the company hope to see you around sometime?:xgrin::xThumb::xThumb:
Happy Christmas to you both and Jay xx

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We like El Rocio, both the site and the town. Plenty of places to park in and near the town that are OK. But avoid it when the annual pilgrimage is on, the weekend before Pentecost.

Last time we were there was in Spring this year It rained heavily and the top 2 or 3 inches of the roads turned to slush. But it was hard underneath and we had no problem moving the motorhome on it, just needed a gentle touch.

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Arrived safely at El Rocio yesterday. I see what you mean about accessing the pitch over the concrete gully/hump and the sand though it is bone dry at the mo. Walking on sand seems strange but not too bad on the hard packed parts.

Hot in the afternoons but b cold at night.

Thanks to one and all for the tip.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We stayed at La Aldea, it is ACSI. We were there in the spring and opted to do the horse drawn carriage ride through the woods and into the town of El Rocio. We were accompanied by a very knowledgeable guide, who also brought us a picnic of local produce. They pick you up and drop you off at the campsite. That trip is one of my best highlights in Spain.
http://www.donanahorseadventure.com/homedonanahorseadventure

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Back at El Rocio enroute to the land that we love.

Bone dry, far hotter than Albufeira and much busier than early Jan. Except light drizzle/low cloud at 0400 this morning.

Walked down into town last night to see all the horses and procession, never seen anything like it and the church as they say is something else !!! Never been in an RC church before, are they all like that? And there's me thinking that Spain is a relatively poor country.

Lazy day today then off oop north earlyish tomorrow.

Again thanks all for your tips about this site.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Bone dry, far hotter than Albufeira and much busier than early Jan. Except light drizzle/low cloud at 0400 this morning.

Walked down into town last night to see all the horses and procession, never seen anything like it and the church as they say is something else !!! Never been in an RC church before, are they all like that? And there's me thinking that Spain is a relatively poor country.

NO matter how poor the country Catholic Churches are always opulent and dripping in gold,,,,Makes you wonder really,,BUSBY:(:(:(

Deleted User

That one is fairly modern and very restrained for a Spanish church, have a look in some of the old ones!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back