Camping options near Paris for visiting Musee D'Orsay (1 Viewer)

Dec 21, 2014
Littleborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
2015 for a year then a break. Now a newbie again!
Biiiig birthday for my wife. One dream for her is the Musee D'Orsay.
The idea is to go in the camper to the outskirts of Paris and train / metro to the museum.
Initial thought is Camping de Paris which seems to suit nicely.
But what about alternative sites / aires etc?
Any ideas?
Thank you

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
The TGV trains into Paris are really rapid. You don't really need to venture too close to Paris. We go in from Poitiers directly to Montparnasse in 90 minutes. From Tours it takes just over an hour. If you are heading off to other areas, you may be better going in by train as opposed to battling the traffic close to Paris. Enjoy your visit.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Camping de Paris is a nice site but I personally wouldn't stay there again as I think its a bit awkward to get into town despite being the closest to the centre. There's a shuttle bus to Porte Maillot where you can pick up the metro/RER, but it finished pretty early, and there were only limited public busses back to the campsite after an evening in the centre (too far to walk, especially through the Bois at night!).

I've bookmarked Camping Sandaya Paris Maisons-Laffitte for any future visit - its a little further out than Camping de Paris, but only about 12 minutes walk from Maisons Laffitte station. That's on the RER A, which is very convenient for the right bank.

Huttopia at Versailles looks pretty good though - looks like its only about a 10 minute walk from Porchefontaine, which is on the RER C and therefore direct to the d'Orsay (about 30 mins).

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We stayed at St Cheron which was about 30 minutes away on train and 5 euros each person each way, but the campsite gave us tickets for the tube so being closer to Paris the campsites may be able to offer this.
We decided against the free tube and cycled round (took bikes on train) and have lived to tell the tale of cycling up the champs elysee and it only took just over a year for my rotator cuff to nearly recover

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jo May
Dec 21, 2014
Littleborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
The TGV trains into Paris are really rapid. You don't really need to venture too close to Paris. We go in from Poitiers directly to Montparnasse in 90 minutes. From Tours it takes just over an hour. If you are heading off to other areas, you may be better going in by train as opposed to battling the traffic close to Paris. Enjoy your visit.
Good idea. We MAY be heading up to Norway after Paris, so somewhere north perhaps. But thanks for the idea.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Stayed here this summer, pleasant residential area, 10 mins walk to station & direct rail to Paris (approx 30mins)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Stayed here this summer, pleasant residential area, 5 mins walk to station & direct rail to Paris

Thanks for that - I've added it to my bookmarks for the future (y)
(brings back memories....I actually lived a couple of stops up the line from there for a while when I was a student)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We stayed at Maisons-Laffitte a few years ago. 15 minute walk to train station, then about 20/30 minutes into Paris. It was great waking up and breakfasting next to the Seine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jo May
Dec 21, 2014
Littleborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
Lille may be a good one to save you dipping too far down into France.
Enjoy
Yes, good idea. Calais or Dunkirk to Lille is a short hop too and train to Paris easy enough.
Planning like this is giving the Mrs and I a lift during this wet winter.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
We stayed at Maisons-Laffitte a few years ago. 15 minute walk to train station, then about 20/30 minutes into Paris. It was great waking up and breakfasting next to the Seine.
Another vote for Sandaya.

We are staying there again as our base for the Olympics in July. Mine you at €95 per night it’s not such good value as before 😂😂😂

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Some years ago, but we bought a multi museum ticket in advance which got quick entry past the day queues.

Worth researching, I presume they still do it.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
A recommendation for this site. Excellent

We went late August €34 per night last year

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Another vote for Camping Sandaya Masons Laffite, stayed many times. My son has now bought a house a few miles away with a drive I can park on so I wasn't there this year.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We stayed at the Camping Car site at Nemours in November, great location on the canal. The Nemour St Pierre station is a 5 min walk away with direct trains into Paris. Under 1 hr and about £5 each way.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I cannot help with camping options but plenty of great tips above.
Please look up opening hours and days, as it is so disappointing to arrive and find museums closed. Particularly Mondays!
There are also free days once a month.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Biiiig birthday for my wife. One dream for her is the Musee D'Orsay.
The idea is to go in the camper to the outskirts of Paris and train / metro to the museum.
Initial thought is Camping de Paris which seems to suit nicely.
But what about alternative sites / aires etc?
Any ideas?
Thank you
We had a good time at this campsite and the transport to and from the metro was fine. However, that was during the summer holidays.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I cannot help with camping options but plenty of great tips above.
Please look up opening hours and days, as it is so disappointing to arrive and find museums closed. Particularly Mondays!
There are also free days once a month.
That's a good tip.
But I'd always recommend avoiding the free days: not sure what they're like nowadays, but they always used to be so busy that you couldn't see half the things and were more of an endurance excersise than an enjoyable visit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back