Camping La Manga, 12 caravans burned in electric fire! (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We know this camp site well and whilst many did not like the shanty town resemblance in places we loved the location & have enjoyed our stay in the past. Reading in the latest Murcia News HERE at the weekend sparks from an internal electric pylon servicing 4 plots set fire to a caravan which quickly spread. To compound the issue there was a lack of water pumps & hydrants on the site which has 2249 pitches. There is no legal requirement apparently for such pumps & hydrants and the brigade used water from the pool to extinguish the blaze which engulfed 20 plots at least 12 caravans the report says. No deaths or serious injuries, which is fantastic news. Well done to all the emergency services.

We we’re considering staying here next January, where a CAMC rally is held, but now I don’t think so.

Thought many who tour Spain would welcome this enlightening information. We often see moans & groans about the strict fire regulations here in England but I for one am pleased we have them.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We used to spend our Winters there and there was always access problems on the shanty side, many owned by brits who have moved on from the Camping Club rallies.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
At first I thought it would have been the more permanent block that caught fire but it wasn’t. It was block F down in the middle towards the pool end of the site.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
At first I thought it would have been the more permanent block that caught fire but it wasn’t. It was block F down in the middle towards the pool end of the site.
C&MC are holding the winter meet on K and L block
Not that close
Wouldn’t put me off going
Life to short to worry about what might or might not happen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No way would I ever stay on there, imagine if you'd gone to the toilet block, shops etc, and this happened whilst you'd left your dogs in your MH ... doesn't bear thinking about! :eek:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
If it was near the pool why didn't they have a decent pump and hose?!

Seriously sorry to hear it and hope no one was burnt.

Cheers James

Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
No way would I ever stay on there, imagine if you'd gone to the toilet block, shops etc, and this happened whilst you'd left your dogs in your MH ... doesn't bear thinking about! :eek:
I would be more worried about leaving my dog in a motorhome in the Spanish heat than worrying about a fire on the camping side of La manga

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Been there a couple of times. A couple at Beni told me to look out for the guy with long beard as he has excellent liquid cannabis. I saw him but my narcotics days are behind me so I didn't approach :LOL:

Plenty space for motorhomes but the other side is a bit favela like. Like to have a look around there to see what concoctions have been put together to form living premises. All sorts been nailed/screwed/glued together.

I do like the site, nice beach bar and good for cycling. I'd quite easily go back.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
When we started wintering quite a few years ago, we spoke to a number of Brits who raved about the place.

A few years later I was cycling in the area and popped in for a nose around. It was just like the pictures you see of the favela's. A shanty town.

Each to their own but not for us.

Terry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would be more worried about leaving my dog in a motorhome in the Spanish heat than worrying about a fire on the camping side of La manga
Which is why we don't go in the summer and if we want to leave the dogs in the MH then they are well 'protected' from heat stress.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The fire was not on the Turing side where there is much more space between them.
Doesn't make any difference to me, I wouldn't want to stay in/near a 'shanty town' no matter how convenient it was.

Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
Having spent 19 winters there withe my German Shepherds in American rv and American 5th wheels we have loved it and as we had air condition in the vehicles even when it was over 25deg my dogs were nice and cool.

Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
You say that but have you ever considered when you go to the shops at home and leave your dogs at home what if you got hit by a bus.Just comparing as life is to short for what ifs.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
reading reviews it's not for us.. each to their own

and not the first fire according to this review on S4S

Feb 2022
Definitely a marmite site. We’ve been coming for the past 10 years as we had a large 5th wheel at the time. Came this year in our motorhome to see old friends. Lots of building of a new summer swimming pool. Toilets and showers clean but so out dated. the electricity and drainage could do with an update too Huge fire earlier in the year wiped out a load of the permanents.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You say that but have you ever considered when you go to the shops at home and leave your dogs at home what if you got hit by a bus.Just comparing as life is to short for what ifs.
Yes I have actually considered that however our dogs have the run of our place when we're out baring the lounge/conservatory so if necessary they have places they can go to and hopefully be safe until help arrives, in a MH due to the way they go up in flames extremely quickly it is a different 'fire ball game' altogether!

As for the bus scenario ... that helped me get a pay rise and an assistant! :LOL:

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I have to agree to that point
But I’ve spoke to people who love if
I spent two days them pulled out

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
2249 pitches!!! That's a small town not a campsite. Sounds horrendous.

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
The last time I was there and it sometime back
There were verandas built over caravans
Each to there own

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The last time I was there and it sometime back
There were verandas built over caravans
Each to there own
There are a lot of sites like that, not just in Spain, the canopies over the caravans etc are to help keep the heat out, trouble is they allow fire to spread very, very quickly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back