Campervan leisure battery not charging on ehu / mains charger? (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW T6 conversion
Hi, I'm trying to work out if our leisure battery is goosed, or I'm just missing something obvious (quite possible, since i know nothing about it). When on ehu, turning compressor fridge on (Dometic CRX50) causes voltage reading to drop from 12.6/12.7 (which is where it usually stays) to below 12 in minutes (maybe even seconds) - from this I assume ehu is not charging battery? This seems to make sense in that previous time on ehu (this was only second time, didnt use fridge before), voltage stayed around 12.5/12.4 (only used for led lights/phone charging), whereas I now think it should be higher when on ehu. Power is getting into van since sockets work and RCD trips when tested. Battery voltage is generally 12.6-12.8 and charges from main battery when driving; it also seems to retain charge OK since was used without ehu for a couple of days and seemed OK (albeit minimal usage). Previous threads have mentioned a mains charge controller but I cant seem to find anything that seems like it could be this - basically theres the rcd unit (with 3-pin plug socket next to it), a single cable seems to go from here to led display and theres nothing accessible between. LED display (which seems standard) has five buttons (one is lights, one is fridge, I guess one will be water pump (although not tried it) - no idea whast other two are but I assume unlikley to have any relation to mains charger?? Its possible battery has been allowed to run down since I think van probably sat around for a good while over winter so maybe it is done, although other than the fridge draining it almost instantly, it seems OK. Or could the fridge itself be the problem? if engine on, it stays on without draining leisure battery so my guess is probably not, Any advice welcomed...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
When on hook up, the charger would be putting out about 13.8v if it was charging

The proper way to test, and know absolutely is use a digital voltmeter/multimeter across the battery terminals directly. Measure before plugging in ehu and after and the voltage should rise. The same technique with checking the alternator is charging, check before the engine is running and when it is.

Complicating matters, a battery may show as charged, but the voltage rapidly fall if the battery is old/faulty

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
What van do you have? Someone with a similar one could advise where your charger is located.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
May 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW T6 conversion
Thanks. Its a T6 conversion so I guess a charger could be anywhere (and I dont know who did conversion)...
I've tested with a multimeter; 12.63 without ehu, 12.63 with ehu, so no increase. However, it didn't increase when engine was running either, although led vodoescould 12.63 mean its fully charged anyway (in which case ehu or engine wont increase volt reading?)?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
May 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW T6 conversion
sorry, that last sentence was meant to read 'although could led volt reading of 12.63 mean its fully charged anyway...'

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks. Its a T6 conversion so I guess a charger could be anywhere (and I dont know who did conversion)...
I've tested with a multimeter; 12.63 without ehu, 12.63 with ehu, so no increase. However, it didn't increase when engine was running either, although led vodoescould 12.63 mean its fully charged anyway (in which case ehu or engine wont increase volt reading?)?
If you do the same tests with some of the habitation lights switched on , to load the battery and reduce the voltage , it should show if any charging system is in place and working as it should .

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
At 12,65v the ehu mains charger should raise it over 13v immediately, charged or not. It will stay on float if no loads, around 13,6v or there abouts.
A CRX 50 draws about 3A and a 0,1v drop it’s not to bad.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Does your fridge run just 12v or 12v/240v? Switch off EHU and put a load on your battery’s fridge, tv whatever you have that can use 12v.
Once batteries have dropped a bit then start engine and see if you get 14.4v on hab and start battery’s.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
although led vodoescould 12.63 mean its fully charged anyway (in which case ehu or engine wont increase volt reading?)?
When charging from either source the voltage will show the charger voltage, around 13.6v, regardless of state of charge....if the battery is full there will be no amps flowing but the charger voltage will show.
Your charger may be part of the main control panel or may be a stand alone unit hidden away behind a drawer, under a seat or even under the wardrobe floor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
May 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW T6 conversion
Thanks for all the advice. After some detective work, I've managed to find out who the conversion company was and have spoken to someone there - apparently, ehu doesnt charge the battery since this was an optional extra and original converter didnt request it (think i'll get it added). At least that explains that. Voltmeter with engine running still only showing 12.63 though - maybe I didnt leave on long enough since something must be charging battery and i definitely saw voltage display of over 14 then 13 something when driving yesterday - will have to check again tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back