Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but just wanted to post about a recent experience looking at stuff on the CAMC shop. It appears that the shop is ran by Prima Leisure.

Was looking for a small camping table and noticed this.

£44.99 after their “member discount”

Did some googling for reviews to see if this table was any good and found the exact same table listed on Prima Leisure’s own shop.

£34

Postage and everything else is the same.

Is this a one off or is the CAMC shop not worth the membership?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The only discount I've used was for TyrePal tpms and saved £10 on the already discounted supplier price.
As for others??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Many if not the vast majority of the offers you see in magazines, newspapers, club magazines etc are actually more expensive than buying elsewhere. I think "special offer" or "members discount" actually means the opposite of what you think it does and simply translated warns the prospective purchaser that if they fail to do their homework they will be royally shafted. Try looking at an item on eBay and you will see the huge differential there will usually be in prices from various sellers, some are chancers, some are crooks, some are reasonable merchants and some actually do want to sell you the item for a good price. Research is the key to all monetary transactions.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We bought the latest CMC version of The Garmin Camper Sat Nav at the NEC about 18 months ago, it was on offer at 10% discount on the CMC stand. But their systems were down and they could not take any card payment. We were passed a handwritten note, told to go round to The Prima Leisure stand and they would take the payment and offer the CMC discount, which they did.
I then made the assumption then that the "CMC Accessory online Shop"is actually Prima Leisure re branded.
The usual smoke & mirrors tactic from The CMC then.
Les

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
I then made the assumption then that the "CMC Accessory online Shop"is actually Prima Leisure re branded.
The usual smoke & mirrors tactic from The CMC then.

Big "Brought to you by Prima Leisure Accessories" banner at the top of their website too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Try looking at an item on eBay and you will see the huge differential there will usually be in prices from various sellers, some are chancers, some are crooks, some are reasonable merchants and some actually do want to sell you the item for a good price. Research is the key to all monetary transactions.

Definitely research, can't always guarantee eBay being the cheapest either. I find increasing numbers of eBay shops hiking prices compared to their own online stores (I assume to cover fees).

Prima do appear to be particularly scummy about this, just thought I'd search on eBay for the very same table...

£69.99 !!! from.... guess who.... "prima_leisure_accessories" ?!?!?

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but just wanted to post about a recent experience looking at stuff on the CAMC shop. It appears that the shop is ran by Prima Leisure.

Was looking for a small camping table and noticed this.

£44.99 after their “member discount”

Did some googling for reviews to see if this table was any good and found the exact same table listed on Prima Leisure’s own shop.

£34

Postage and everything else is the same.

Is this a one off or is the CAMC shop not worth the membership?
You should bring this to the attention of CAMC. Well done food spotting it.
Phil

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You have to remember this is business.
Primal Leisure need to make their margin on the sale and the C&MC need to make a bit as well.
Like they say up north, ‘you don’t get owt fer nowt’.

Richard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
You have to remember this is business.
Primal Leisure need to make their margin on the sale and the C&MC need to make a bit as well.
Like they say up north, ‘you don’t get owt fer nowt’.

Richard.
I’m sure all involved are making a healthy margin at all three price points across the almost £40 spread for exactly the same item from exactly the same shop.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I’m sure all involved are making a healthy margin at all three price points across the almost £40 spread for exactly the same item from exactly the same shop.
In the case you quoted there is a price spread of £10.99.
£34 being the basic price and £44.99 being the price from C&MC.
Don’t forget that VAT will also have to be paid out of the uplifted price.
Overheads and costs, advertising etc. have to be paid.
Any retailer making much less than 30% margin won’t be in business very long.
After spending almost 40 years in retailing I can assure you it is a tough and competitive place to try and scrape a meagre living. ;)

Richard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
In the case you quoted there is a price spread of £10.99.
£34 being the basic price and £44.99 being the price from C&MC.
Don’t forget that VAT will also have to be paid out of the uplifted price.
Overheads and costs, advertising etc. have to be paid.
Any retailer making much less than 30% margin won’t be in business very long.
After spending almost 40 years in retailing I can assure you it is a tough and competitive place to try and scrape a meagre living. ;)

Richard.

£69.99 by the same vendor on eBay...

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Prima Leisure Ltd was formerly know as Bailey Parts Ltd. They changed the name in January last year.

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Water filter tap from "WaterFilterMan.co.uk" website" £24,99 + delivery, exactly the same tap on Amazon £19.99 delivered with prime fulfilled by Amazon sold by WaterFilterMan.co.uk

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Water filter tap from "WaterFilterMan.co.uk" website" £24,99 + delivery, exactly the same tap on Amazon £19.99 delivered with prime fulfilled by Amazon sold by WaterFilterMan.co.uk
... but what if you don't have a prime account?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

If I need to make up an order value to just over £20 with Amazon to get free delivery I tend to add a discounted DVD to the basket.

Not quite a "free" DVD but still less than the cost of P&P for a non-Prime customer like me.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009

You get someone who has to order it for you ;) Thanks son, or take ut the free 1 months prime and cancel when they send you email reminder.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You get someone who has to order it for you ;) Thanks son, or take ut the free 1 months prime and cancel when they send you email reminder.
You can cancel straight away after signing up, you still get your 30 day trial.

We did a couple of trials with different accounts ended up paying as we liked the series and flims better than what's on normal TV .
Sorry to shock you - Lenny paying for something.:D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back