SRC

Aug 17, 2018
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Exp
Since 2005
I have just tried to change a booking we had made at a CAMC site booked for July 2023. Due to some recent commitments we wanted to push back the arrival date by 2 days, keeping the length of stay the same period of 2 weeks. Used the online app. All went well except when I got to the checkout there is an extra £120 cancellation/administration fee! All I am trying to do is move the booking 2 days later. I gave up. It will be much cheaper just to keep the original booking and not turn up for the first 2 days, albeit we lose 2 days holiday of course. How can they justify such a ridiculous charge. Contacted them using their Web form and they will try and respond within 10 working days. Bet I don't hear anything from them.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
With 150 in the queue that tells me many people are having problems with site bookings/enquiries, plus they don't have enough call centre staff.
Feel sorry for The OP, 2 weeks site fees is a lot of dosh, more than many on here would want to pay I bet.
I keep hearing their new website is a pile of crap, so glad we left the CMC.
LES

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I have just tried to change a booking we had made at a CAMC site booked for July 2023. Due to some recent commitments we wanted to push back the arrival date by 2 days, keeping the length of stay the same period of 2 weeks. Used the online app. All went well except when I got to the checkout there is an extra £120 cancellation/administration fee! All I am trying to do is move the booking 2 days later. I gave up. It will be much cheaper just to keep the original booking and not turn up for the first 2 days, albeit we lose 2 days holiday of course. How can they justify such a ridiculous charge. Contacted them using their Web form and they will try and respond within 10 working days. Bet I don't hear anything from them.
Might have been a mistake somewhere in the process - this is what they say on their website

• Any cancellation or amendment up to 21 days before arrival will be made without penalty (either refunded if it’s a full cancellation or applied to your amended booking).
Seems to me that it's gone wrong somewhere and perhaps it will be a different story once thy get back to you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
There's almost unbridled joy when the CAMC (or in fact any other big club) gets it wrong - mostly expressed by people who aren't in the club and have no intention of being so.

It reminds me of something someone said at a conference I was at when they were explaining why they wanted to be part of an initiative that was slightly controversial and people were wondering whether to join up or not. It went along the lines of "I would rather be in the tent pissing out than the other way around" and that seems to sum this up nicely - CAMC it seems have been working hard to change their systems to meet what their members have asked for and there's bound to be teething problems but hey, let's put the boot in anyway . . .

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
You really are best speaking to them, could well be a case of 'computer says no' and human intervention needed.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
There's almost unbridled joy when the CAMC (or in fact any other big club) gets it wrong - mostly expressed by people who aren't in the club and have no intention of being so.

It reminds me of something someone said at a conference I was at when they were explaining why they wanted to be part of an initiative that was slightly controversial and people were wondering whether to join up or not. It went along the lines of "I would rather be in the tent pissing out than the other way around" and that seems to sum this up nicely - CAMC it seems have been working hard to change their systems to meet what their members have asked for and there's bound to be teething problems but hey, let's put the boot in anyway . . .
Would you have posted the dame defence had you suffered the same as there OP. I doubt it.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have spoken to site wardens in late September about the new system and such as you describe. The system is a pig to use apparently but there should be no loss of deposit more than 21 days.

As for amendments, whilst this is not clear in their documentation I was reliably told if you are just moving the dates then there is no loss of deposit, even if you are now spreading the stay into two or more club sites on consecutive days. Just like you could do before when touring.

If you are amending and reducing consecutive the days then no loss unless it is within the 21 days.

The wardens confirmed this was the new rules with their manager when I queried what their booking email confirmation was saying. The only thing to watch is if you reduce the number of people staying as I think as a guide if they will loose money and it is less than 21 days you will loose deposit but I understand you can appeal. Hope this helps SRC and others 😊

OP
OP
S

SRC

Aug 17, 2018
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Exp
Since 2005
I have spoken to site wardens in late September about the new system and such as you describe. The system is a pig to use apparently but there should be no loss of deposit more than 21 days.

As for amendments, whilst this is not clear in their documentation I was reliably told if you are just moving the dates then there is no loss of deposit, even if you are now spreading the stay into two or more club sites on consecutive days.

If you are amending and reducing consecutive the days then no loss unless it is within the 21 days.

The wardens confirmed this was the new rules with their manager when I queried what their booking email confirmation was saying. The only thing to watch is if you reduce the number of people staying as I think as a guide if they will loose money and it is less than 21 days you will loose deposit but I understand you can appeal. Hope this helps SRC and others 😊
Many thanks. That's very useful advice.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The website has a lot of flaws, however the Nutrocker Pat s and I booked Chatsworth CAMC site a couple of days ago. Then realised, after paying the deposits, that we were a week out so went in and amended the booking. This worked but and the new deposit came up as £0.00 . However would not let us proceed unless paid and would not take a payment of £0.00. So in the end we paid the remaining balance in order to proceed. I assume that we can cancel later should it be necessary, and get a refund either full payment or without deposit.
So the amend booking does sort of work !

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Would you have posted the dame defence had you suffered the same as there OP. I doubt it.
Thank you for the psychiatric assessment. I might have made a similar post if I had received confirmation from the CAMC that I had indeed lost my deposit because it clearly states on their site that that is not what should happen in this case. Clearly the OP has not had that formally confirmed but went ahead and posted anyway and the usual club kickers waded in to add their weight to an argument that will only really start if it turns out the OP has lost his deposit. Premature ejaculations of rage or what.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
The website has a lot of flaws, however the Nutrocker Pat s and I booked Chatsworth CAMC site a couple of days ago. Then realised, after paying the deposits, that we were a week out so went in and amended the booking. This worked but and the new deposit came up as £0.00 . However would not let us proceed unless paid and would not take a payment of £0.00. So in the end we paid the remaining balance in order to proceed. I assume that we can cancel later should it be necessary, and get a refund either full payment or without deposit.
So the amend booking does sort of work !
Which reminds me, you also owe me £0.00

When can I expect payment please? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Geoff

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
With 150 in the queue that tells me many people are having problems with site bookings/enquiries, plus they don't have enough call centre staff.
Feel sorry for The OP, 2 weeks site fees is a lot of dosh, more than many on here would want to pay I bet.
I keep hearing their new website is a pile of crap, so glad we left the CMC.
LES
It's not very good!

Oddly I was looking at a site in Northern Spain for December. On the CAMC site it was over £30. Booking directly was way cheaper. Then today I looked for one in France to break the aire de camping-car overnights up (and give access to bogs/showers etc) and it was half the direct price! At least booking for abroad seems to work better than the new "at home" system.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
All went well except when I got to the checkout there is an extra £120 cancellation/administration fee! All I am trying to do is move the booking 2 days later.
I hope this is typo . Please don’t tell me this is true.
£120 to cancel a booking ! What a joke .
Apparently this off the shelf booking software is riddled with issues and we were pre warned this would be the case .

OP
OP
S

SRC

Aug 17, 2018
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Exp
Since 2005
I hope this is typo . Please don’t tell me this is true.
£120 to cancel a booking ! What a joke .
Apparently this off the shelf booking software is riddled with issues and we were pre warned this would be the case .
I wasn't even cancelling a booking, just trying to put it back by 2 days. As others have posted, it could be a CAMC computer glitch

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
, it could be a CAMC computer glitch
It could be .
However, given my experience of the club it will be the cheapest software license they could obtain, resulting in a poor quality product. Inadequate staff training of the new poor system then puts the icing on the cake .
Yet again CAMC you are a complete embarrassment to themselves as a business.

Last edited:

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
After 36 years membership we decided for many reasons not to renew. I pointed out a long list of reasons, some of them quite serious. The only response was to tell me to remember to cancel my Direct Debit. Sums the Club up really!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992

It’s a good point, I’m in the tent. All I can say is recent accounts of events in ‘Club Together’ and Trust Pilot (and there are many) tell their own story - check it out. The Club deserve members to be pissing in as does any organisation offering incompetent management, poor value and abysmal customer service.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I have just had an exciting half hour reading the TrustPilot reviews. At least it appears that the Caravan Club are actually reading them too and attempting to give sensible - if not altogether helpful - replies.

They suggest filling in this form to help the web designers know what to change next!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back