Calais Wine to Close from January (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
At present we bring back wine duty paid in France, usually around 40L each. My recollection of duty free was that it was generally more expensive than French duty paid due to increased profits taken by the retailers.
This restriction is going to be a PITA.
Hopefully the cheap booze cruise may return.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I do not drink very much, just checked one of the bottles in the rack its date is 1983 and the other is 2016! 18 litres of wine would be wasted on me (not me being wasted on 18 litre's).

I am what is classed as a cheap night out, or as my mates have always refered to me as thier Driver (y) :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Let's regurgitate the last 4 years of post vote debate because we may have to pay an extra few quid to bring back more booze than is good for us.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Let's regurgitate the last 4 years of post vote debate because we may have to pay an extra few quid to bring back more booze than is good for us.
Noooooo other websites are much better for that debate........

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I agree above the debate I think we need to let the lie of the post Brexit land become clear then see how that corresponds with the predictions made by both sides. I don't know about more booze than is good for us surely it depends how much of the allowance you bring back and how long a period you consume it over.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I agree above the debate I think we need to let the lie of the post Brexit land become clear then see how that corresponds with the predictions made by both sides. I don't know about more booze than is good for us surely it depends how much of the allowance you bring back and how long a period you consume it over.
I was just looking at the amounts mentioned and know that most folk go over more than once a year. Of course I am sure all Funsters are generous hosts as well :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I was just looking at the amounts mentioned and know that most folk go over more than once a year. Of course I am sure all Funsters are generous hosts as well :)
Quite right on all counts. We usually go twice a year but only managed once this year due to various things. Hosting a single dinner with a few guests can use 4-5 bottles of wine and often 1-2 bottles of port/brandy. Of course dinner parties have been a bit thin on the ground this year too :(.
I will just have to drown my sorrows
:wine:

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Well living in Wales means that we have to go on a booze cruise to England!!

In March this year, the Senedd Cymru (Welsh Parliament) introduced minimum alcohol pricing - of 50p per unit

That said, it hasn't made much difference for me, life's too short to drink cheap wine, so I rarely spend less than 8 quid on a bottle - so minimum alcohol pricing doesn't apply

I know many on here enjoy their 50p a litre wine, and good luck to them, but I would always prefer a single glass of descent wine rather than a gallon of plonk (and yes I have tasted the cheap stuff & 'plonk' is too good a name for it🙂)

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Hi again, Either side they are just someones opinion, Time will tell. I don't drink much any more but I do smoke, Have done since I was 16 when it was " normal ". I am, since I havn't been " over the water" for a while paying full UK price for my backy. In Belgium it is a quarter of the price, I buy, within my allowance 2kg of tobacco and it lasts me 6 months so for me it's a big saving. cut that to 250g is going to cost me. I can't afford to buy ready made cig's any more. Not all of us have a big indexed linked pension. The banking crisis followed by austerity and poor results on investments means pensions not paying out as they should have, add to that the shortfall on endowment policy's when paying off mortgages all ads up to not having as much as we thought for our retirement. add about 12 yrs of low exchange rates and the increased prices in Europe means that all these holidays we had planned have cost us more money. No interest in savings ( remember that?used to boost our income) and for some especially those who moved abroad has reduced their income by a lot, some have found themselves in a position where they are struggling to survive in their home in the sun that they had planned for all their lives and can't afford to move back to UK. As it has been said, the well off can ride this out better than some.
My point is that things are more complex than a lot of people think if they look deeper into things. I think there are more people in that situation than we realise, look at the Funsters obsession with Aldi and Lidi or is that more fun doing it that way. I arrived in a Site in Spain once for Christmas and a English guy came, almost rushing over to me and said, Have you been hear before? I said, no, first time, He replied, Oh your all right here, Aldi is over that way and Lidl is almost next door down there!! As long as we all get on and have our fun , no doubt we will adapt to things. As has been posted before, there will be more posts on this subject, it's a learning curve for all of us. Keep on Trucking Bruce

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi again, Either side they are just someones opinion, Time will tell. I don't drink much any more but I do smoke, Have done since I was 16 when it was " normal ". I am, since I havn't been " over the water" for a while paying full UK price for my backy. In Belgium it is a quarter of the price, I buy, within my allowance 2kg of tobacco and it lasts me 6 months so for me it's a big saving. cut that to 250g is going to cost me. I can't afford to buy ready made cig's any more. Not all of us have a big indexed linked pension. The banking crisis followed by austerity and poor results on investments means pensions not paying out as they should have, add to that the shortfall on endowment policy's when paying off mortgages all ads up to not having as much as we thought for our retirement. add about 12 yrs of low exchange rates and the increased prices in Europe means that all these holidays we had planned have cost us more money. No interest in savings ( remember that?used to boost our income) and for some especially those who moved abroad has reduced their income by a lot, some have found themselves in a position where they are struggling to survive in their home in the sun that they had planned for all their lives and can't afford to move back to UK. As it has been said, the well off can ride this out better than some.
My point is that things are more complex than a lot of people think if they look deeper into things. I think there are more people in that situation than we realise, look at the Funsters obsession with Aldi and Lidi or is that more fun doing it that way. I arrived in a Site in Spain once for Christmas and a English guy came, almost rushing over to me and said, Have you been hear before? I said, no, first time, He replied, Oh your all right here, Aldi is over that way and Lidl is almost next door down there!! As long as we all get on and have our fun , no doubt we will adapt to things. As has been posted before, there will be more posts on this subject, it's a learning curve for all of us. Keep on Trucking Bruce

I am surprised that you say you don’t drink much.

You post like you do.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Cheers mate, I will take that as a no to getting on together then

We could always jointly buy a boat to smuggle tobacco in🚣🏼‍♀️

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Quite right on all counts. We usually go twice a year but only managed once this year due to various things. Hosting a single dinner with a few guests can use 4-5 bottles of wine and often 1-2 bottles of port/brandy. Of course dinner parties have been a bit thin on the ground this year too :(.
I will just have to drown my sorrows
:wine:

WoW:eek::eek::eek::eek: seems like I need to visit alcoholics anonymous ....... your estimate of consumption would double if I were invited. i know! I know! I'm not going to be invited.:LOL::LOL:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Was told by a wine merchant many years ago a ‘case’ is twelve bottles for wine, six bottles for fortified wine (port etc.) and champagne. It seems it has become fashionable to describe six bottles of wine as a case, possibly easier to market?
Easier to carry probably,,health and safety,,BUSBY.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Alcohol
  • 42 litres of beer
  • 18 litres of still wine
  • 4 litres of spirits OR 9 litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% ABV

I think I will run out of wine payload even at about these miserly allowances ...

2 adults x 24 bottles of wine plus 12 bottles of fizz each = 72 bottles. Each full bottle weighs around 1.5kg. (I'm in France at the moment so I weighed my SuperU wine haul)

So = 108kg for a full allowance of wine and fizz.

But, hey , .... we can return every 90 days to restock !!!

So 72 bottles / 2 adults = 36 bottles * .7 litre = 27 litres of wine or fizz each to last 90 days.

= 30 cl of duty free wine or fizz a day !

= 4 units of alcohol ...

= 28 units a week

Maybe 'they' are trying to kill us by encouraging us to bring double 'their' recommended alcohol intake. And thats before we add our total beer allowance in to the mix...

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Maybe 'they' are trying to kill us by encouraging us to bring double 'their' recommended alcohol intake. And thats before we add our total beer allowance in to the mix...
That might be ‘their’ recommended alcohol intake, mine’s a lot higher! 😂🤣😜🤪

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As someone Who is highly un likely to get south of Les manche any time soon. I find that there are as drinkable new world wines in the supermarkets as any euro product and often substantially less costly. So on that level I am not losing any sleep over changes that may come in January.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Tesco with their 25% off if you buy 6 or more bottles gets you 6 bottles of Trivento Malbec for £27 or 6 bottles of Nero d'avola for £20.28, why bother going to Macron's France.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
What about items bought and the duty paid in France? So it's not 'duty' free as tax has been paid in the country of purchase?

Or is there duty or import tax to be paid?

I doubt it will affect us as 18 litres of wine EACH is much more than we have ever brought back !!
Given modern payload limits I doubt that many current motorhomes would be capable of carrying more than two cases... ;)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Tesco with their 25% off if you buy 6 or more bottles gets you 6 bottles of Trivento Malbec for £27 or 6 bottles of Nero d'avola for £20.28, why bother going to Macron's France.
We're buying a lot on the 25%deals which seem to be on very frequently at the moment. But when it's possible to travel sensibly and everywhere is open we'll be in France. Macron might be the caretaker at the moment but it's not his France .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wish I could get the 25% case deals. A trip to Carlisle would get the cheap deal 😢
When the deal was on here and we visited our son in Edinburgh they had a money off fuel deal instead. It depends who's consumptions higher yours or your car!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Well living in Wales means that we have to go on a booze cruise to England!!

In March this year, the Senedd Cymru (Welsh Parliament) introduced minimum alcohol pricing - of 50p per unit

That said, it hasn't made much difference for me, life's too short to drink cheap wine, so I rarely spend less than 8 quid on a bottle - so minimum alcohol pricing doesn't apply

I know many on here enjoy their 50p a litre wine, and good luck to them, but I would always prefer a single glass of descent wine rather than a gallon of plonk (and yes I have tasted the cheap stuff & 'plonk' is too good a name for it🙂)
Brush cleaner :wink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back